Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sleeping w/ O2 (Read 2129 times)
twsnnva
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Newport News|USA||0|0|VA,Virginia
Sleeping w/ O2
Oct 12th, 2012 at 5:24pm

Hey Everybody!

He's back! Sad Nuff' said...

Anyhow, I finally got scripted for O2 at the end of my last cycle (fall 2010 - had a 1 hit cycle last year). My insurance company, being an insurance company, gave me a concentrator instead of tanks - I assume to save money? It's a 10LPM/96% system and I actually have no complaints at all - when used with my clustermasx I can abort almost every headache in just a few minutes (though I generally keep at it for 10-15 just to be sure). The only exception to this are the ones that hit in the middle of the night. I obviously can't use the clustermasx while sleeping, but I did get a few regular (rebreather?) masks (and humidifier bottles) back when I first got the concentrator. I wonder, since I don't have to worry about "wasting" O2, would it be possible to prevent at least some of the sleeping hits by wearing the mask to bed. Of course I'll not be getting the same amount of O2 as I do normally, but since I'd be wearing it before it even starts, maybe it would be enough to keep him away? I know most on here don't use concentrators, but is there anyone out there who has tried this? Maybe someone that uses one for sleep apnea (though those are probably at a much lower LPM than mine)? I've only been getting 2hrs of sleep each night for the past two weeks, so it's getting tried either way. Just wondering really - I know I can't be the first person to think of this. Wish me luck!

-Thomas

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Sleeping w/ O2
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 5:37pm

Several have tried I have not seen any success stories yet. Have you tried melatonin yet? An otc sleep aid. Many can avoid nocturnal attacks by taking 9-12 Mg about 30 minutes before bedtime.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 6:00pm

I've tried what you're proposing and it didn't prevent any attacks for me. If anything, I felt like it made my body get too accustomed to the oxygen. So when I went to hyperventilate it for the actual attack, it seemed less effective.

But yes, try it. Why not? Just be sure that the mask is loosely attached to your face or has breathing holes, should the power get cut off during the night. Don't want to suffocate!

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 9:32pm

Try a combination of regular+prolonged-release melatonin. Works for me in doses as low as 3mg+2mg.

10LPM is usually not enough for aborting nocturnal hits, but it may work if you drink an energy drink. Sometimes 1-2 glasses of water just before the O2 makes a difference. Also, hot/cold pad can make a change. Good luck!

WWW https://www.facebook.com/shooky.galili  
IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 10:25pm

Yes I have tried it, did not prevent hits and made O2 less effective when they did show up. I continue to assert it is the chemical/physiological change going from normal O2 levels to the hyperventilating O2 levels that kills the hit... and in my experience that body chemistry is not sustainable, nor should it be sustained for long periods of time (pure O2 for long durations can cause lung problems).
As for the wake up hits being harder to kill... that is because they get a chance to fully develop before waking you. This is where the concentrator fails you... pure O2 at higher lpm is needed for the tougher aborts. You will need some tanks to get through the night... and try the melatonin.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 10:59pm

My brother says using his machine is a pain in the butt so I suggested he re-read the instructions.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 12:21am

AussieBrian wrote on Oct 12th, 2012 at 10:59pm:
My brother says using his machine is a pain in the butt so I suggested he re-read the instructions.

Yer killin me smalls!!!! Grin

IP Logged

twsnnva
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 9:29am

Thank you all for your replies!

ttnolan wrote on Oct 12th, 2012 at 10:25pm:
Yes I have tried it, did not prevent hits and made O2 less effective when they did show up.

I experienced the same thing. When I did wake up and switched to my non-rebreather it took much longer to knock him out. I did not try again last night and decided to give the melatonin a shot instead.

Guiseppi wrote on Oct 12th, 2012 at 5:37pm:

Have you tried melatonin yet? An otc sleep aid. Many can avoid nocturnal attacks by taking 9-12 Mg about 30 minutes before bedtime.

Joe

Joe,

Thank you for the suggestion. I took 9mg of melatonin last last night. I woke up about 30 mins after falling asleep with a very bad headache (8-9) that would not go away. I finally had to "lay on the vent" (That's a very common phrase around my house in the fall. While heat does not abort a HA, almost like magic it does take nearly all of the pain away - while being applied - it even makes the worst headaches bearable where I can just lay there and rub my temple. The HVAC register in my bedroom is on the floor, so I just turn on the heat, throw a pillow by the vent and lay with that side of my head hanging over it.) Anyhow, I finally got back to sleep around 11:30 and slept until 6:30 (still have not had a headache and it's almost 10AM. This is the longest PF stretch I've had since the cycle started). I don't know if this was the melatonin, but will keep it up and let you know. I do think I'm going to tweak the time that I take it to see if I can avert the first headache of the night. What would you suggest?

I just hope this ends sooner rather than later. This cycle has been unlike any before - like one week long headache that I keep knocking down for a few hours at a time. My experience has been that I will get cycles with a lot of headaches compressed into a short time frame or a longer cycle with fewer headaches per day. My theory is that he is going to make me feel X amount of pain in any given cycle and he doesn't really care how it's added up. Hopefully he'll reach his quota soon. -Thomas

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 10:39am

For some, it can take up to a week for melatonin to become effective. Even after that time, you won't really know if you've achieved a therapeutic level, so you may have to tinker with the dosage for several weeks. Keep at it.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #9 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 11:09pm

O2 while sleeping is ineffective o2 therapy for CH's.

Proper o2 therapy...
High flow rate 15 lpm+, ideally hyperventilate 25 lpm, 100% o2, from a tank, with a NON-rebreather mask, while sitting/standing upright, awake, begin therapy at onset of attack

after abort...reduce flow rate to normal breathing, continue 5 to 10 minutes, shut off regulator, try to get back to sleep Wink

Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

twsnnva
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 7:13am

6 hours of unbroken sleep (and only 1 headache) last night! The night before I got 7 hours in a few patches (2 headaches). I really believe this is related to the melatonin. The night prior, I'd forgot to take it and that was a very bad night, both in number and intensity of headaches, and the amount of sleep I got. I added an 8 PM alarm to my phone to ensure that doesn't happen again Smiley

While I've given up on sleeping with a mask on, I have been stating the concentrator before going to sleep. I think one of the biggest problems with using a concentrator for CH is that it takes at least 5 minutes to "warm up" and reach peak O2 output. By having it running, it's ready to go when I wake up.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 9:36am

Outstanding to hear the melatonin is working for you. Some have gone as high as 18 mg to get continuing relief. You have to kind of play with the dosing, more if beasty breaks through, less if you're a walking zombie in the morning!

Some have increased the effectiveness by splitting whatever dose they use in half......taking half standard release and half extended release. The standard gets you safely to sleep, the extended keeps beasty at bay longer.

Hoping your success continues.

Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!