Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cayenne Pepper (Read 14368 times)
PokeyOats
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Cayenne Pepper
Oct 12th, 2012 at 12:55pm

Hi all,

I am a cluster headache sufferer and I know this is going to sound very weird, but I have recently been having a lot of success putting Cayenne Pepper up my nose on the side of my head that I have the cluster.

I have only just started my cycle about 10 days ago but I have found that the Cayenne Pepper is actually aborting the headaches, and in some cases preventing them enough where I am only being woken up once through the night instead of 6 - 7 times with a cluster.

I just wanted to get this out there because as a sufferer I will so anything to help anyone, these headaches are a living hell!

IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Re: Cayenne Pepper
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 3:48pm

Not too weird, there is actually some science behind it and it has been tried by some here. However, I think you are the first I heard of who has been happy with the results. Most report it as primarily a distraction not a pain reliever. Good on you for giving it a try, and better that it is working for you.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 4:07pm

If you google cayenne pepper and capsicum, there are a boatload of studies going on regarding their use as a pain killer among many other uses. I wouldn't be suprised to see something eventually developed that assists a larger number of CH'ers. For now, in its most basic form, few seem to be getting much help from it.

Hope your success continues, pain free time rocks. Please spend some time perusing the board in case it stops working, you'll have a wider knowledge of prevents and aborts to do battle with.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

fun2drum
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Marion NC
Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 1:23pm

How do you get it up your nose?  That may seem like a strange question, but, really, how much is enough or too much, and do you use a straw or put a little pinch between your thumb and index finger like you're sniffing snuff?  Something different?  Also, how long is it taking from snort to abort? 

Gary
A drummer with a headache.
Western NC - USA

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 4:57pm

Bullshit.

Potter

IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 5:42pm

Potter wrote on Oct 13th, 2012 at 4:57pm:
    Bullshit.

Potter

As usual not gentle or politically correct... but spot on.
Every board needs at least one Potter.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 7:41pm

I will have to disagree...these are just a few of the links I described above...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Remember when the mushroom people first showed up here and everybody demanded they be tarred and feathered and kicked off the board? I for one refuse to be automatically close minded to anything that could potentially help people. There is too much solid science and research behind the pain killing properties to just dismiss it out of hand.

Joe

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 7:54pm

Guiseppi wrote on Oct 13th, 2012 at 7:41pm:
I will have to disagree...these are just a few of the links I described above...

Remember when the mushroom people first showed up here and everybody demanded they be tarred and feathered and kicked off the board? I for one refuse to be automatically close minded to anything that could potentially help people. There is too much solid science and research behind the pain killing properties to just dismiss it out of hand.

Joe

Actually no Joe I don't remember that.  What I remember was snortin Cayenne pepper and bein in way more misery than I started with.  On the other hand I ate the shrooms and am now 3000 days + or- pain free.  I don't toss an important word such as bullshit around lightly.

Potter

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 8:26pm

This must be the new test for possible therapies. If it doesn't work for Potter, it's bullshit.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #9 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 11:33pm

AussieBrian wrote on Oct 13th, 2012 at 8:26pm:
This must be the new test for possible therapies. If it doesn't work for Potter, it's bullshit.

Pay me and I'll snort cayenne pepper again.  I'll be sure and document my findings.

Potter

IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Reply #10 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 1:43am

Well Potter, I guess they told us! I think I'll go out right away and get a hole drilled in my skull and electrodes implanted deep in my brain, a non-reversible surgery that may kill you. Hell, some people have had it work, sort of, for a little while anyway!
Maybe not BS in the science, but certainly in the application. Everyone has to decide where they draw the line... and what is BS.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #11 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 9:35am

Guiseppi wrote on Oct 12th, 2012 at 4:07pm:
Hope your success continues, pain free time rocks. Please spend some time perusing the board in case it stops working, you'll have a wider knowledge of prevents and aborts to do battle with.

This would be my impression, our systems adapt.

I can remember my first cigarette after the cough, cough, cough.  "I think I got a buzz from it".  The coughing didn't last, or the buzz.

My first beer or shot - exhilarating or calming.  That didn't last, who's counting.

The first bar-b-que chips were hot.  Now we've jalapeno chips in jalapeno dip.

A new toothpaste tastes fruity.  A couple of days later it's just toothpaste.

A skinned knee hurt more than anything.  Now we've bruises and blood dripping and wonder where that happened.

Bare feet on hot pavement was ouchy in July.  By mid-August it's not a thought.

CH may back off for awhile, but it may hurdle the threat to its presence.  Who's counting, more pepper, but it may become just a cow on the railroad tracks.
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2012 at 9:40am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

Eric in Central NY
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 1:44pm

Potter wrote on Oct 13th, 2012 at 4:57pm:
    Bullshit.

Potter

Smells like it to me.  Nooooo way and hell am I going to do a line of Cayanne.  May as well spray some mace in my eyes while I'm at it.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #13 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 2:12pm

I do remember a few years ago, there was a guy on here (I don't remember his screen name) touting massive doses of vitamin D, and many poo-pooed him, myself included.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #14 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 5:54pm

Ah, yes. In times gone by. I can remember when first-time posters got chased out of here by the disgraceful manners of a few.

Couldn't happen now, of course.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #15 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 6:44pm

Not on my watch Brian! Wink

Joe

IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #16 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 1:00am

Unfortunately, with responses like that from Potter we ARE driving people away... Angry

IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #17 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 3:58pm

i guess Potter is the cluster god and if it doesn't work for him its bullshit ! learn how to use the board dude ! You have been a member for how long and to come at people who are simply trying to share there experience like that is bullshit if you ask me !this board  its to help people with things that work for them in hopes it will possibly work for others ! Why would anyone want to have you comment on there post with your negativity ! completely uncalled ford ! I am glad that the cayenne pepper is working for you ! kind of a weird thing to try but hey ! when all else fails we have to take things into are own hands ! good luck and lots of pain free days! i would suggest doing a sinus rinse after the attack. I would think its probably not good for that stuff to just sit in your sinuses

Only the strong survive!!!

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #18 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 4:41pm

Stuff doesn't just sit in your sinuses. Our mucous membrane systems have a way of cleansing themselves.

It's why we have spit, snot, and lung cookies.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #19 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 4:44pm

lydia nichole wrote on Oct 17th, 2012 at 3:58pm:
i guess Potter is the cluster god and if it doesn't work for him its bullshit ! learn how to use the board dude ! You have been a member for how long and to come at people who are simply trying to share there experience like that is bullshit if you ask me !this board  its to help people with things that work for them in hopes it will possibly work for others ! Why would anyone want to have you comment on there post with your negativity ! completely uncalled ford ! I am glad that the cayenne pepper is working for you ! kind of a weird thing to try but hey ! when all else fails we have to take things into are own hands ! good luck and lots of pain free days! i would suggest doing a sinus rinse after the attack. I would think its probably not good for that stuff to just sit in your sinuses

Just Zot me.

Potter

IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #20 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 4:50pm

Brew very true, I would just be curious because of how strong that stuff is. I would hate for a risk of a sinus infection, on-top of a CH. I'm not a doctor though. it was just a thought.

IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #21 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 4:53pm

I actually just looked it up and cayenne pepper can actually cure a sinus infection. So i stand corrected on that.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #22 - Oct 18th, 2012 at 2:51am

Lydia,

With all respect I recommend you go through the archives and check out Potter's posts.  He has been a tremendous encouragement to a lot of people, and has been a major advocate for O2 use, even before it was all that popular.  Then I suggest you look through the archives for all of the newbies with 1-5 posts touting the miraculous results to be obtained from Sinus Buster, which is an overpriced capsacin/cayenne spray that has proved to be much less than successful. 

I agree with Joe that we need to look into the science of the use of Cayenne/Capsacin for pain relief, but snorting it up the nose has been a very short-lived remedy for any that I know of.  In fact, we used to laugh at all of the "less than 10 post cures" that show up on this board and then suddenly disappear.  Over time there may be something successful from Cayenne/Capsacin that is developed scientifically.  I hope so.  We definitely need something else in our arsenal for those of us who have proven to be refractory to everything else, but I'll wait for someone with experience and longevity to bring it to the table before I'll get all excited.

I remember along with Bill when Niels/ Niyas/I don't remember the rest of the names he used proposed Vit D therapy.  He got chased off the board not just because he was proposing something new, but because he was coming on to strong proposing it as a cure without any real background behind it.  He was banned from the board several times and came back under a different name.  It wasn't until someone with a scientific background that was willing to validate some of his claims started looking at it that it started being accepted and has proved quite valuable for many.  The biggest key was the scientific approach to validate the claim, not a one post wonder who has discovered a "cure" so miraculous, but has not had the forethought to look at this board and note the great number of others who have proclaimed the miracle find in post 1.  I must side with Potter.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #23 - Oct 18th, 2012 at 5:47am

It's well worth re-reading the original post. A first-time poster referring to cayanne pepper (not sinus-buster) as something that helps him and may help others.

Abuse and bad language is no way to welcome a fellow CHead.

IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #24 - Oct 18th, 2012 at 7:09am

AussieBrian wrote on Oct 18th, 2012 at 5:47am:
It's well worth re-reading the original post. A first-time poster referring to cayanne pepper (not sinus-buster) as something that helps him and may help others.

Abuse and bad language is no way to welcome a fellow CHead.

Amen...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!