Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Topimax and Depakote Failure (Read 1205 times)
Clusterman59
CH.com Veteran

Pain free is AWESOME!!

San Diego, California
Topimax and Depakote Failure
Oct 12th, 2012 at 12:39pm

It is with great disappointment that I am going to give up on the Depakote and Topamax as the Depakote proved to be to much and just knocked the tar out of me. I was taking 1500mg daily along with 400mg daily of Topamax but had taken the Topamax for about a year on its own without good results.
At this point I think I am going to detox my system and treat my CH with an abortive approach using Oxygen and energy drinks. After detox I am going to give vitamin D3 a shot and see how that works.
That is the plan at this moment anyway?.....Johnny

Gaining knowledge and obtaining an education about cluster headaches is the key to success to shutting down the beast. The Vitamin D3 Anti inflammatory Regimen is one of the best treatments ever!
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Topimax and Depakote Failure
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 12:50pm

Sounds like an okay plan! Down the road take a look at Lithium. It's been my primary prevent for well over 20 years. Currently blocks about 60-70% of my attacks. What I like about it is the lack of any side effects.

On the other hand, I started the original D-3 Regimen during a horrible cycle about 2.5 years ago when even oxygen was failing me. I've modified it as Batch has changed it and have been cycle free for about 2.5 years. Maybe it's coincidence, but I aint about to stop taking it. Hope it works as well for you.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 1:01pm

After Topamax, Lithium, Verapamil, Neuronton and cymbalta <--- i know thats a wierd one failed and i couldnt take triptains, I was having over 30 CH a month for yearssss ! Chronic fpr yearssss ! i finally can control. i am on no prevenatives but i can control and that is cutting down on  my attacks. I use Nasal Lidocain spray 2% 2 sprays on side where i have pain, zofran, 1mg Xanax (helps calm me down being i feel like im being stabbed) and then while waiting for Xanax to kick in i have the numbing already in effect i start my oxygen. if i cannot get it under control with the oxygen after 15 -20 and im at a 7+in pain i take a 2mg dilaudid very rarely though. i cannot take triptains. I think a anti-anxiety may help alot of people. i think me going into panic mode during the begging of my CH attacks would make them worse and longer.

Only the strong survive!!!

IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 1:02pm

good luck i hope your plan works=) best wishes for PF days !

Only the strong survive!!!

IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 4:06pm

Sorry to hear the latest treatment plan tanked... just a few more drugs you can take off the list now. If you get tired of the pharma, or you get to the end of the list with no results... check out clusterbusters.com

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 11:45pm

Clusterman59 wrote on Oct 12th, 2012 at 12:39pm:
It is with great disappointment that I am going to give up on the Depakote and Topamax as the Depakote proved to be to much and just knocked the tar out of me. I was taking 1500mg daily along with 400mg daily of Topamax but had taken the Topamax for about a year on its own without good results.

Careful and slowly when decreasing your dosages from these levels, under a doc's guidance is helpful. 

Preventive treatments are great when they work, if not, back away slowly.

Difficult experience you've had, Johnny.  Time you got on a righter road.  Happy trails.   Smiley 

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 8:18am

I had the same nasty experience with Depakote. Never did a damn thing for me, and I felt like I actually got more headaches when on that stuff. Things improved rapidly after I kicked it to the curb. Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!