Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Sumatriptan WORKED for me (Read 3360 times)
ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Re: Sumatriptan WORKED for me
Oct 2nd, 2012 at 10:23pm

Smiley
Can't wait to hear more...

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 10:24pm

Finding a doctor who understands and cares about CH...awesome find! Smiley

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 10:56pm

Quote:
I have a groovy little hallucinogenic buzz...

From Sumatriptan? First time I've ever heard of this. Do tell....

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 3:19am

Brew wrote on Oct 2nd, 2012 at 10:56pm:
Quote:
I have a groovy little hallucinogenic buzz...

From Sumatriptan? First time I've ever heard of this. Do tell....

from personal experience the only thing close to a hallucination I've had with imitrex is when I move around it feels like my brain is sloshing around inside my head.
Color me interested.

IP Logged

anarchomoto
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 11:53am

Well the bad news is my headache came roaring back at 3am, on the opposite side of my head which was odd, and that was my only sample while I battle with my insurance company to approve my scrip. As far as the groovy sensation...well it was def for real, not entirely placebo, but the euphoria of feeling that headache dissipate away can not be under stated. It was an injection, and within minutes of applying it I felt an undeniable sensation of lightness, and I felt..."strange" with mild visual tracers. That's really the only way I can describe it. It is a synthetic of dimethltryptamine (DMT) which is a powerful, naturally occurring psychedelic. Since I knew this ahead of time, it's possible this was some kind of placebo/imaginary experience (I don't think so) or maybe something in my diet is a form of MAOI that allowed the DMT properties to penetrate the blood/brain barrier.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 2:55pm

anarchomoto wrote on Oct 3rd, 2012 at 11:53am:
but the euphoria of feeling that headache dissipate away can not be under stated.

Oh yeah, like a banana split melting in my mind.  With sprinkles.

Beats smoking the whole banana peel.
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2012 at 2:57pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 4:51pm

So what else is the doc doing for you? Do you have oxygen? And curious if you are starting any prevent med.

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #7 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 1:07am

The tryptans are great for those of us who get hit with 1-2 attacks a day. For those with more attacks, they usually aren't that practical as you usually can't take more than 2 a day anyway.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 5:50am

Quote:
will be ordering the necessary spores...  The evidence is simply too compelling.

A well-traveled path because it works. 

Quote:
I want to throw this stupid oxygen tank out the window.

Don't toss the oxygen, the transition of treatment will take time starting anew but should work out.  Best to you, keep an eye out and a hand in with our buddy 'buster board.
I want to add "and don't look back", but we'll always be here if you need.    Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2012 at 5:55am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 2:38pm

anarchomoto - before going for the big guns, I think you should consider trying the D3 regimen and Kudzu, which seem to make wonders for some. Also, since you mentioned nocturnal hits - I found melatonin to be highly effective for me, even at (relatively) low doses of 5-8mg (2mg prolonged release + 6mg regular melatonin worked like a charm).

When used right, 02 is a very good abortive, with less side effects than immitrex. You can also combine the use of O2 with coffee, energy drinks and/or lower doses of triptans other than immitrex to which you might respond better.

Good luck and feel good! 

WWW https://www.facebook.com/shooky.galili  
IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 1:39am

I don't find that odd at all.
Am I the first intelligent being on the earth (of course I am)? Repetition is obvious. It just seems to be about the levels of written/transferable knowledge we can attain (not born with it you know). If we had the records to give credit where due... who knows where we would be.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 4:01pm

anarchomoto wrote on Oct 6th, 2012 at 5:33am:
People forget how young industrial civilization actually is, and mistakenly conflate it's achievement with progress. I love logic and I love science but I loathe the capitalist motive that fuels it. How did these "savages" create calenders that more accurately predicted moon and star cycles than any modern astronomer can fathom, or pyramids that no modern architect can engineer?

Through advances in science and engineering, not only can we predict eclipses of our own moon, but men have walked on the moon. We've sent space probes to the other planets and have even discovered hundreds of planets around other stars.

Whilst architects could engineer a pyramid, they are more likely to be busy designing even more incredible structures like buildings that tower hundreds of meters into the sky or bridges that span gaps of kilometers.

Don't always believe the hype you hear on the Discovery channel. Whilst some ancient civilizations were advanced for their time, they pale into insignificance compared to what is now possible.

IP Logged

anarchomoto
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 6:53pm

Yeah you completely missed my point. And I haven't owned a television in 6 years. Thanks for playing

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2012 at 1:26am

Quote:
I love logic and I love science but I loathe the capitalist motive that fuels it

If you had an idea that was novel, would you not assure that someone else does not make a lifetime income off of your idea.  That's called a patent, and it is capitalistic.  Either capitalize on what you discovered or somebody else will. 

Capitalistic motives are not the root feeding logic and science.  Some capitalize on nothing, on no logic or science.  Capitalism is competitive. 

The point being, there is no capitalism in pursuing research for the whys and hows of cluster headaches.  If you come up with a remedy, capitalistic speaking, so fucking what -- is there money to be made.  Who f_cking cares. 

This is what makes the clusterbusters push so spectacular.  Even if something could help us, quite marginally speaking, and it involves something previously known as LSD, how capitalistic does that idea sound?  Not very.

General public:  "Okay, we legalized pot prescriptions, now you say people need LSD.  "We draw the line here", so it's not legal.  The parallels drawn are: not legal = not useful.

Argue the smarts of getting around that, it's a tough go financially.

Basically your working with someone willing to put up the money to go ahead despite captitalistic motives, which means, selling the idea, research, and product to someone who thinks they can capitalize on the product by marketing.  The stigma: marketing a product base on LSD.  Are you f_ckin' crazy? 

Despite, the science and research is going on, happening, and happened because it seemed to work.  The "whys" and "hows" are expensive to document, but it takes brains.  Not only brains, but money that believes in those brains. 

Old civilizations weren't looking for the whys and hows,  that was left to the philosophers, only looking for something that worked.  This can be practical, but not in modern day society, substantiation is important, and in modern day terms this takes money, proving you're right. 

Why would anyone put up money to help you prove you had a remedy for cluster headaches if there was no market, ergo, no profit in it?  Now that's not very capitalistic.  What is the purpose in extending dollars to come up with a product that has a little market value?  There are capitalistic motives placed on the investment dollar.

Yet it happens.  The science and logic happens hoping to find a capitalistic motive, or it may not go on. 

Should it go on?  You and I say "yes", but it takes money, period.

Quote:
The fact that ancient Amazonian cultures had somehow figured out how to extract the properties from one herb and combine them with MAOI properties from a another root...

The same goes on today.  Attach a bromine atom to the LSD molecule rendering it non-hallucinogenic, well who's interested?  We are, no others.  Others who don't get clusters would be interested if it made them money.

Quote:
conquistadors control the historical narrative

No they don't.

Quote:
People forget how young industrial civilization actually is, and mistakenly conflate it's achievement with progress.

Progress is not defined by years, compare the Dark Ages to the Industrial Revolution.

Naturally, wherever one idea is formed and implemented, another problem is created.  If you have electricity, it was an efficient achievement, yet the to create it made another problem, the energy source.

Knowledge is transferable, as TTNolan mentions.  I agree with NZMike wholeheartedly. 

Quote:
you completely missed my point

No he didn't.  Money has made things possible that weren't possible before.  There is the concept of "funding" as opposed to the slave labor and witchdoctoring of yore.  You don't mention the "other" aspects of precivilization. 

Quote:
Thanks for playing

Your point may be valid to you, but there's too much to ignore to believe it or be convincing.

Despite, we are here to work with this malady.  There are hardships and roadblocks.  Find a way from suffering that suits you, that is progress, and it's hoped it's transferable in any way,

Smiley

IP Logged

anarchomoto
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Oct 7th, 2012 at 10:43am

"No it's not"

Yes it is, dummy. Anyone who has read Noam Chomsky or Howard Zinn knows that.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #15 - Oct 7th, 2012 at 12:06pm

Quote:
But I wasn't inviting any debate on the topic. Why the fuck would I debate it with you?

Why would you debate when it is so safe within narrow constrains.  And who is debating anything?

When you wish to post comments like this:

Quote:
People forget how young industrial civilization actually is, and mistakenly conflate it's achievement with progress. I love logic and I love science but I loathe the capitalist motive that fuels it. How did these "savages" create calenders that more accurately predicted moon and star cycles than any modern astronomer can fathom, or pyramids that no modern architect can engineer? Since the conquistadors control the historical narrative, we're taught that these ancient cultures were just animists and sun worshippers.

I will know you are not really interested in discussing much besides your own self-fulfilling wisdom, reminding you it fulfills yourself.  Therein lies your point.  It's a smug position.  If there was no other point of view then you can never be wrong.  That is a choice, but sometimes it has been other's point of view that has helped progress through episodes and lifelong management of clusters. 

Whereas it is your choice to pursue any avenue of treatment that suits you, it could be a reminding factor to realize if it was your choice or the attained alternative, other point of view, now openly grasped. 

Sumatriptan WORKED for me

Quote:
First entirely pain free night in over 2 months, as in no sign of even a phantom headache. And to boot, I have a groovy little hallucinogenic buzz as I type this. I will post a better review tomorrow, I am off to enjoy this high right now.

Quote:
Well the bad news is my headache came roaring back at 3am, on the opposite side of my head which was odd, and that was my only sample while I battle with my insurance company to approve my scrip.

Quote:
At the moment all I have are the triptans and oxygen. It is possible that I have not given the oxygen a fair shake but I do not like it so far. Honestly I hate the way I feel on the sumatriptan also. Sluggish, vaguely nauseous, blech. But obviously I hate the headaches more. I thought I was exiting my cycle but it almost seems as if the sumatriptan has increased the frequency of the headaches. I feel completely dependent on it after only 2 days.

I hate all these medications, and I despise the pharmaceutical companies...

Quote:
Thanks a lot folks.

The sumatriptan is pretty much officially no longer an option because my ins company has decided they'll only approve 9 doses per month. That's like spitting in the ocean.

You start out groovin' euphoric, then gravitate to sour grapes at the slightest resistance.  Nine is only part of an arsenal if needed, but now you hate medications and despise pharms. 

Quote:
will be ordering the necessary spores ...

Viva la salude fellow clusterheads, best of luck to you all

This is an excellent option available, however, you may not have decided upon it if other options were less available as unrealized anticipation.

Quote:
Maybe I just want an excuse to trip again?

It would take some of the shine off it if it didn't help with clusters.  Bummer, but it sounds like you may be securing your future managing clusters anyway.  Good for you.

Quote:
"No it's not"

I don't seem to find where "No it's not" is quoted from, however, it doesn't sound like "dummy" is Chomsky or Zinn, just sounds like a loss of words for "this is who I think I'm talking with".  It turns on a light to see you better, although not in a better light.

IP Logged

anarchomoto
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #16 - Oct 7th, 2012 at 9:02pm

I'm going to spell this out for you. I made a few observations, rambling as they may have been, and that is all. I did not set out to write a thesis expounding the virtues of psilocybin or a condemnation of modern medicine as a conspiracy. I'm simply trying to treat my clusters. And maybe rambling a bit in the process. Mm'k? I'm. Not. Interested. In. Getting. Baited. Into. A. debate. OK?

Got that?

"now you hate medications and despise pharms."

That's a strawdog. I don't fu*k with strawdogs.

Would you please go away? you have a choice, to not troll my posts. I hope you have a fantastic day.

IP Logged

anarchomoto
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #17 - Oct 7th, 2012 at 9:10pm

honestly though, your replies are obnoxiously long winded, over analytical, full of strawmen, and completely miss the point. I really do enjoy discussion and appropriate debate, but a debate can only be had if I can at least clarify a position before you go attacking it. If I blurted out misinfo or a platitude, I'll own it. I'm not trying to write a friggin book here so I can be "right" on the internet.

IP Logged

anarchomoto
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #18 - Oct 7th, 2012 at 10:11pm

apparently I can't delete this thread. Please consider it closed. I will go back to using this board for lurking purposes only.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #19 - Oct 8th, 2012 at 3:05am

Quote:
"now you hate medications and despise pharms."

That's a strawdog. I don't fu*k with strawdogs.

I had no part in making any straw men.  It's what you said, from your own quote.  Now how can you be a straw man?  Wouldn't that be like a d_mmy?

Quote:
I hate all these medications, and I despise the pharmaceutical companies...

You thought you deleted that.  Nice try.

Quote:
I really do enjoy discussion and appropriate debate

Someone offered a differing viewpoint, these were your examples of discussion and appropriate debate:

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah you completely missed my point. And I haven't owned a television in 6 years. Thanks for playing

Point?  Afterall, wasn't it just:

Quote:
I made a few observations, rambling as they may have been, and that is all

Nothing about making any point, after you repeatedly said your point was missed.  Convenient, and interesting turn you just took here.

Quote:
I'm simply trying to treat my clusters.

That has been my point all along, and if you needed one, I was hoping you would borrow it to make it your own.   

Thanks for playing.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2012 at 6:23am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!