Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DHE - Any success/input? (Read 3238 times)
ihatech
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Tomball, TX
DHE - Any success/input?
Sep 25th, 2012 at 1:05pm

Has anyone tried and had any relief from the IV solution DHE for cluster headache?  My husband's neuro is suggesting it for his CH.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2012 at 1:07pm by ihatech »  

IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Re: DHE - Any success/input?
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 2:54pm

DHE IV is pretty old school... I consider it a "dirty" drug, lots of side effects... but everyone is different. It usually works well enough to give you a break, some get pf time only while they are receiving it, others get relief that can last a week, even luckier episodics can abort the whole cycle... but from my experience that one is pretty rare.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 4:21pm

Like ttnolan has already reported, it varies with the individual. Personally, I've had the IV DHE treatment twice, and both times I went pain free within 20 minutes of the first IV push.

It was a nice break for the three days I was in the hospital, but the CH came roaring back with a vengeance within 36 hours of checking out. Raged for a week each time, then I went pain free for 9 months after.

Was it the DHE that caused the 9 months of pain-free time? I don't know.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 8:28am

My experience is the same as Brew's, but my respite lasted more like 8 weeks. They came back though, the same as before. I am chronic and that brief time was welcome. It may well be enough to push someone through their cycle to the other side. Won't know til you try. blessings. lance

IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2012 at 2:42pm

DHE is a nasty med. Possible side effects are pretty serious, and there's a long list of safer preventatives - melatonin, varapamil, topiramate, and even valporic acid are all less dengerous. Also, Elatrol (Elevil) is pretty safe and works for some. And I think Kudzu is worth a try - natural, minimal side effect and starts working really fast if you use it in a powder form (which most Chinese therapists would be able to supply).

WWW https://www.facebook.com/shooky.galili  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2012 at 10:05pm

Quote:
DHE is a nasty med.

Those are some pretty strong words for a med that works pretty well for a number of folks here.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Clusterman59
CH.com Veteran

Pain free is AWESOME!!

San Diego, California
Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 6:09am

In two weeks I am going to try the DHE if the DEPAKOTE and Topamax don't work for me??? I am 35 years Chronic. .......Johnny

Gaining knowledge and obtaining an education about cluster headaches is the key to success to shutting down the beast. The Vitamin D3 Anti inflammatory Regimen is one of the best treatments ever!
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 12:25am

I was in the Hospital for 6 days of DHE IV. It worked while there but I was hit again the night I came home.

In 2008 I started using DHE self injections and it works well for me, as an abortive and sometimes preventative. Lasts 24 hrs. Triptans don't work for me so I'm happy I found something that does.

DHE can & has broken cycles for a few lucky people. I hope you're one of them. By the way I get no side effects from DHE.

Don
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2012 at 12:26am by Skyhawk5 »  

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2012 at 9:38pm

Brew - Didn't mean to be rude. You can blame the fact that English isn't my mother tongue so I may not always choose the best words.

I think that DHE is the kind of medication one should avoid if there are other options. Of course, sometimes there aren't.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2012 at 9:43pm

No offense taken. I think DHE can be classified by just about anybody who has used it as a "big gun." And you're correct - there's no sense using a big gun when a smaller, more accurate weapon will suffice.

At the same time, some of us have needed a big gun because the enemy is more persistent.

IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #10 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 5:23am

When in excruciating pain many of us will try anything, and with so many trigger-happy doctors around the bigger guns are used way too often, I think.

Just talked to a guy who was diagnosed as CCH last year, and got Lithium before being treated with O2...

IP Logged

Budbuds Mommom
CH.com Junior

what headache?

Indianapolis,IN
Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2012 at 10:40pm

DHE makes my ch's way worse, but IV Depacon works great.

valerie.barlow84 AngelTigga  
IP Logged

ClusterEd
CH.com Newbie

oh... you've got a headache?
lol! please...

lena, IL
Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2012 at 2:59am

I have not had success with DHE or any Ergots such as Cafergot (oral).  DHE injections make me vomit within minutes and result in GI discomfort for a few days afterwards.  I do know that some people get relief from CH within minutes.  It would be worth a shot.  I tried it and still to this day continue to try any therapy that I can get my hands on.

505239023 swingline01  
IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #13 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 2:46pm

I use DHE IM injections almost EVERY SINGLE DAY to PREVENT attacks. I can't say that it is 100% effective, but it is my med of choice since it works most of the time. It did use to make me nauseas and still does sometimes, especially the more I use it or the longer I need to use it, but it usually doesn't anymore and it is WAY WORTH it for me (benefits vs side effects). <-- IMO

I4B

IP Logged

CHMatt
CH.com Junior

Chicago
Reply #14 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 4:06am

DHE works great for me and has for over 20 years.  I'm chronic and on Elavil, verapamil, periactin and melatonin as preventatives, and O2 to abort when I'm home, but DHE self-injections work well to abort my attacks when I'm away from the O2.  I have occasional nausea from it (and usually only from Migranal, which is the nasal spray version), but it's rare.  Triptans do nothing for me.

Way back in college for a really bad bout they hospitalized me and did the IV DHE and it gave me several days pain free, but the headaches returned within 24 hours of being out of the hospital.  However, those few days were worth it.

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

x0|New York|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #15 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 9:53am

I used migranal and although it does take a little toll side effect-wise, it really worked for me, and at the time I was getting hits 5 to 6 times daily until i started it.  It prevented hits for > 24 hours.  Was a real relief.

IP Logged

wicket
CH.com Newbie

"o_o"

Endor :]
Reply #16 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 10:17am

^^ Same. It's a good treatment, just a bit pricey. But it can abort even the worst attacks in 3 minutes or less, even the ones that feel like your head is on fire!

http://www.facebook.com/chris.eseny  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!