Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Social Isolation and CH? (Read 4045 times)
idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Social Isolation and CH?
Sep 22nd, 2012 at 6:46pm

Do you guys ever feel like CH has made you socially isolated? I've never been big into hanging out with people or having many friends, and sense I was diagnosised, I've just dropped off the face of the earth socially. It's the last thing I want to worry about during my cycle, because I have to be home or near my oxygen tanks 3 times a day, which doesn't give me much time for other activities.
Anyone else feel this way?

I guess what I'm asking does anybody feel like CH gets in their way? If so, how do you make it so it isn't in your way?
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2012 at 6:51pm by idorko »  

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Re: Social Isolation and CH?
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2012 at 8:57pm

Dork,

You got to get back in the game kid. When your in your PF hours, pick up the phone and make some calls. Live in between the hits.

Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 6:29am

I just feel so washed out after most attacks, and the times when I don't, everyone is busy. :/

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 10:09am

"Strong" disorders (much disability, pain, chronic, etc.) are associated with depression--not in a causal manner but because these issues can come to dominate our thinking/emotions/behavior.

Simply put, depression, like anger, can arise from our thinking/emotions being dominated by: "I want ....." but I can't get it (my want).

So, helpful to start paying attention to your automatic/recurring thoughts around your headaches. Then reflect on what you find in light of this....

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register;

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 10:33am

"Not found" came up when I clicked that link

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 11:42am

Playing closer to the vest socially when CHs are occupying thoughts can happen, you have to be cautious and prepared among different company.  The freedom is appreciated to be more carefree at other times.  There's naturally times of more and times of less socializing in most lives.

Quote:
I've just dropped off the face of the earth socially.

Quote:

Where are you?  Should we send Lassie?

Wink
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2012 at 11:45am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #6 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 2:03pm

Sadlyl, OUCH has gone out of business and it took a lot of good material when the site left us.
====
But this is what you would have found:

PAIN VS. SUFFERING

Please, reader, do not approach this little essay as an alternative treatment or cure for CH! Nothing outlined here is a substitute for good, sound medical care and treatment.

AT THE HEART OF THESE PARAGRAPHS is the recognition that pain and suffering are rather different experiences which can and must be changed by rather different responses. The pain of our CH is the subject of many of the messages we exchange, the topic fills the medical literature we read, and is the primary purpose for the multiple visits to doctors.

Suffering is quite a different animal. It is an emotional/psychological condition which is often experienced even when there is no pain; it is commonly experienced as fear, anxiety, depression, hopelessness, dread, and fearful anticipation.

Suffering is a normal, even automatic, response to pain, loss (as in death, divorce, or other major losses), and a host of other difficult experiences. However, suffering can be intensified, sustained, and even created quite independently of any of these experiences. In the case of our CH, suffering is too often experienced when we are not having attacks.

The hard paradox is: WE CAN SUFFER EVEN WHEN WE ARE NOT IN PAIN!  This is the paradox which we need to resolve if CH is not to be the controlling experience in life.

As you read our messages about CH they fall into two broad categories: causes, prevention, and treatment; and, the subjective experience or emotional side of CH. 

A sample of the "experience" messages which we see are along the lines such as:

"Ch is horrible; it never stops!" (Or it will never end; or they will go on all my life, etc.)
"I can't bear the pain!"

" Nothing makes me feel better!" (Or no medication works; all have failed and so on.)

"It's not FAIR!" (Or variations along the lines of, "why is God doing this?", "am I being punished?")

"I feel so GUILTY!" --because of how I burden my family or can't work, etc.

"The WORST thing in my life!" (Or some variation on how CH is a catastrophe that I can't handle.)

(Before moving on, you may recognize this concept as the core of cognitive therapy or Rational Emotive Therapy. These therapies are rooted in the basic idea that how we think about an experience creates corresponding emotional reactions--for good or bad. The research on the effectiveness of this approach is very good; outcome research shows that it is an effective form of therapy for depression, anxiety, and addictions of various types.)

Cognitive therapies teach people to recognize:

A. These thoughts may be spontaneous and automatic but,
B. They are not rational thoughts, and so, in their very lack of reason they,
C. Stimulate emotions which are disruptive, distorting, and which intensify the difficult experience of CH and,
D. This style of non-rational thinking and the associated emotions tend to spill out (generalize) into our larger lives affecting relationships, our beliefs in how effective we are, how well we are able to run our own lives, and so on.

IF (and this is often difficult to both see and to accept!) we can begin to see HOW our thinking may not be fully rational and HOW these ways of thinking feed our SUFFERING--then it may be possible to change our thinking habits.

The next step--past a willingness to consider that we may be thinking  this way--is to learn how to dispute with ourselves, that is, how to argue that our own thinking is not reasonable, that it is self-harming. Then we learn how to change these thinking habits (with the goal in mind that by changing how I think about my experience will change how I feel, how my emotions affect me.)

(Understand that this is an outline of a fairly involved process. I'm just trying to quickly summarize how this method of self-help works. Sources of material are at then end.) So, let's go back to the sampling of expressions which we see in our messages about CH and see how cognitive psychology would deal with them.

1. "CH is horrible; it never stops!" First, recognize the despair and hopelessness which arises from this statement: where will this line of thinking take me? So, we learn to respond more rationally, i.e., "Yes, it's hard pain--but it has always stopped even when I don't treat it. I can survive this attack as I have every other one. I need to do what I know helps."  The long term effective of this change in thinking is to increase self-confidence and a sense capacity to benefit ourselves.

2. "I can't bear the pain!" Response: "I always have. I know pretty much what to expect; I've got some medication which helps. I can bear the pain because I always have!"  Notice, this is not a denial of the pain; it's not a "let's pretend". The goal is to deal with the reality of temporary pain; pain which, as bad as it is, has always stopped with our return to reasonable well being. It is the denial of this, our personal experience, which arouses suffering and despair.

3. "It's not FAIR!", or thoughts of GUILT, or that I'm being PUNISHED. Response:  "This is my body not working right; it has nothing to do with morality or sin or fairness. My job is to care for ME, NOW, not fret about fairness." (The consequence of  an appeal to "fairness" is that we become victims. The problem with "guilt" is that we have to find a "sin" which justifies having CH or we must convince ourselves that we have chosen CH to avoid something or to hurt someone, hence, our sin. In the end, this line of thinking is not reasonable or rational and serves to create more suffering.)

4. "CH is the WORST thing in my life!" I often see folks express in their messages a sense of anticipation, of feared expectation about the next attack of cycle. There are few responses which lend themselves to the development of suffering better than this one: waiting for pain; looking for the next sign; assuming that it will come. Reflect a moment on what the impact is on our emotional well being and you may begin to appreciate why changing thinking habits is of value.  How to respond?  "It is the worst experience--when it's occurring--then it's over and I return to my full life. My whole experience says that I'll come through the next  one--when and if it comes. I don't have to wait and look for it; there is living to be done, now."

If you are interested in exploring this way of altering your thinking habits there are three readily available sources of information:

1. Go to Amazon.Com and put "rational emotive therapy" in the book search box.

2. Go to Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and get the catalog. (This is the homebase for Dr. Albert Ellis, the founder of Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy.)

3. Look for a paperback, FEELING GOOD: THE NEW MOOD THERAPY, David Burns, M.D. While this title is written around the issue of depression, the general framework can be applied to coping with cluster headache.
  This is true for many of the titles you will find at #2; REBT and  Dr. Burns' cognitive restructuring approaches have been used for a wide variety of problems--the general framework is fairly universal, in this sense.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #7 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 2:39pm

Kevin_M wrote on Sep 23rd, 2012 at 11:42am:
Quote:
I've just dropped off the face of the earth socially.

Quote:

Where are you?  Should we send Lassie?

Wink

I think I found my way baaa-ck

Thanks for the article. That certainly helped a lot.

IP Logged

Cupper
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Seagrove Beach FL
Reply #8 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 10:55pm

I answer a strong yes to this question! Fear of a public attack when I'm near or in cycle has made me a hermit. And it goes the same at work too.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #9 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 11:18am

There is a difference between anticipating (and thus preparing for) something bad to happen when there is a real and high probability it might happen, and anticipating with anxiety an event that is either not likely or so unlikely it reaches the stars in probability. For example, I think anticipating and worrying over a zombie apocalypse is so out of the realm of probability, that an examination of underlying beliefs is more helpful than stocking up on anti-zombie pills, or whatever. 

But the likelihood I will experience a cluster in public...nearly 100% And it does cause me to be very cautious about where I go and with whom. Taking the necessary steps to deal with an attack quickly and efficiently help a lot. So, I carry imitrex injections whereever I go, and pack a portable O2 tank in my car, and look for means of quick egress so I can deal with what comes.

I find taking simple and practical measures to deal with real events (pleasant or unpleasant) goes a long way to easing my mind and setting me free from anxiety. God bless. lance

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #10 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 6:44pm

I think anticipating and worrying over a zombie apocalypse is so out of the realm of probability, that an examination of underlying beliefs is more helpful than stocking up on anti-zombie pills, or whatever

Okay Lance, we'll just have to agree to disagree here......

but beyond that, your advice is spot on. Bob's posted his article a time or two in the past and I couldn't agree more. You can do serious damage to yourself constantly worrying about the possibilities of attacks. Staying prepared, ALWAYS having abortives at the ready and living it between the hits.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #11 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 7:37pm

Idorko, you ask a very relevant question to all of us. And I think, everyone has their own personal way of dealing with this reality. Yup, any chronic illness can cause social isolation. If I know I can't drink after work with my co-workers, that I could get a CH even without drinking, then it would be natural to limit hanging out with my co-workers, much as I love them.

For me, I have a small social circle. Part of this (definitely not all) is due to having CH, and not being able to hit the bars after work. So for my work friends? I just shifted my lifestyle. I don't hang out at those bars anymore. Instead, I just hang out with my good friends on an individual basis, one on one. We'll catch a movie (or whatever) instead, and if I happen to cancel because of CH, they understand.

And to be honest, this method helps ensure that I'm surrounded by good friends. If they understand immediately when I text and say, "Gotta cancel, headache" then they are a keeper.   Kiss

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #12 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 2:14am

Has CH caused me to isolate myself? Yes. I have missed important functions due to CH. From what I've learned on this website I now have much better control over my CH and this is a much smaller problem.

I keep this in mind, 'nothing works for everyone, but something works for most everyone.' Finding that something for each of us requires us knowing what the best treatments are. They are right here in front of us.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #13 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 9:33am

Joe, be gentle with Lance. I know that he and I, coming from a shared work background, share the theme of my article.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #14 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 11:23am

Guiseppi wrote on Sep 24th, 2012 at 6:44pm:
I think anticipating and worrying over a zombie apocalypse is so out of the realm of probability, that an examination of underlying beliefs is more helpful than stocking up on anti-zombie pills, or whatever

Okay Lance, we'll just have to agree to disagree here......

but beyond that, your advice is spot on. Bob's posted his article a time or two in the past and I couldn't agree more. You can do serious damage to yourself constantly worrying about the possibilities of attacks. Staying prepared, ALWAYS having abortives at the ready and living it between the hits.

Joe

Funny, we don't usually miss each other like that. You see, I thought I was saying the same thing you said, but in quoting me, you left off: Quote:
an examination of underlying beliefs is more helpful
. This is the realm of the cognitive rational therapy: examining belief structures that are the underlying cause of whatever symptom one is experiencing. Thus I agreed with Bob.

The second part you say you agree with. I do too, obviously. I meant to say that taking certain well planned preventative measures can go a long way to easing the anxiety we feel when real circumstances press upon us.

The zombie stuff was just a way of saying don't worry about stuff that isn't real or worth worrying about. It will only bring about more pain.

There. I think we can agree what I was trying to say was an epic fail. For that I am sorry.  Embarrassed
God bless. lance

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #15 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 2:36pm

I thought Joe was disagreeing because he believes there IS going to be a zombie apocalypse.

Don't worry Jezep, I do too. 

Haven't a date on the calender yet, but October 31st is looking probable.

Wink

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #16 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 6:30pm

Yeah my humnor missed the mark....I copied and bold printed the zombie part as my wife and I are actively preparing for the zombie apocalypse.....shame on you who are ignoring this pending horror!!! Wink

The rest of his post, as usual, I whole heartedly agreed with. Apologies to Bob and Lance for missing my mark......you know I love you guys! Smiley

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

bluenz
CH.com Junior

Do what you love, Love
what you do...

x0|auckland|New_Zealand||0|0|
Reply #17 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 11:11pm

Thanks for this post........................nods

WWW rhartdolls  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #18 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 7:57am

Garsh, is my face red! And there I went and ruined a perfectly good zombie thread.... Sad  But if they do come around, it's good to know we've got a few of us armed and ready...Joe's got the West coast; I've got the East Coast; Kevin's got the...? He's got it covered. blessings. lance

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #19 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 10:19am

You hit on probably the most dreadful aspect of clusters -at least for me anyway. Obviously the pain is nasty, and for some who suffer multiple hits a day chronically I can totally understand the pain being the primary cause for distress.

For me though, it's the chaos it wrecks on your life and the lives of those around you that makes it such a scary thing. You've got to get some people into your corner to help you fight this thing- even if it's just a doctor who you trust. The people on this site are also fellow war travelers who understand your situation. Hang tough.

IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #20 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 2:52pm

I can definitely relate to this.  While I'm in the peak of a bad cycle, I rarely want to leave the house unless it's for a quick errand.  Just a few months ago, I planned a vacation to Sedona with a big group of friends but I had to flake out due to starting a cycle. 

I've got a good core of friends who are very sympathetic but it's impossible for them to truly understand unless they've experienced it or been around it extensively.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!