Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
exercise and ch (Read 731 times)
jolley
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

exercise and ch
Sep 21st, 2012 at 9:41am

So I'm new here, but not new to CH.  Been suffering for about 12 years, formally diagnosed for about 3 years.  Now is a particularly bad time of year for me.  Major temperature swings 30's at night 70's during the day...really sets them off. 

i recently started going to the gym.  Finally decided to get back into it after about 10 years.  My problem is about an hour after i get done exercising, like clockwork I get an attack.  So almost daily now for about a week I'm blasting myself with imitrex injections at work.  I'm also on Verapamil, which usually works once I start a cluster in getting me PF, then ween off.  Now I've tried taking the Verapamil before working out, and after.  No difference...Usually i only need to take the imitrex at the onset of a cluster and once on the verapamil, generally all set, until i get through it.  But now since exercising its both everyday with no end in sight.  Of course I want to get off the Verapamil (we all know what it does), but can't if I continue having daily attacks.  Anyone else effected by exercise?
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2012 at 9:43am by jolley »  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: exercise and ch
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 3:40pm

Verap takes several days to become effective and so short term goals won't cut it.

If your druggist can get it: ergotamine 2mgSL; one tab under the tongue one-hour before exercise. An old time approach which will usually block development of an exercise induces attack.

Cause:
Lancet. 1999 Sep 18;354(9183):1001-2.
Comment in:
Lancet. 2000 Jan 8;355(9198):147.

A new cluster headache precipitant: increased body heat.

Blau JN, Engel HO.

Exercise, a hot bath, or elevated environmental temperature provoked cluster headaches, within 1 h, in 75 out of 200 patients. This new observation accords with recognised precipitants--alcohol, histamine, and gyceryl trinitrate--perhaps via generalised vasodilatation or hypothalamic activation.

Publication Types:
Letter

PMID: 10501368 [PubMed]
====
The paradox: for some folks, exercise will abort an attack. The assumption that the increased oxygen intake aborts in the sam way that the, now favored, use of O2 via mask, is an efective abortive.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 4:06pm

I'd also make sure you aren't getting dehydrated whilst at the gym.

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 4:41pm

You could always hook up to extra O2 at a lower flow rate while exercising.
It'd be a win win because you'd likely be able to exercise longer while burning more calories (increased speed) and burn up the extra O2, all while avoiding an attack!

it's Genius!
and probably wouldn't work and be a huge waste of O2.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!