Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Depakote! (Read 1305 times)
LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Re: Depakote!
Sep 17th, 2012 at 4:59pm

Depakote can be researched among recent threads and also board archives by entering the keyword: Depakote into the search field.  Plenty of info on Depakote. 

Good luck with your new treatment.  What dosage of Depakote did they start you on?

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Clusterman59
CH.com Veteran

Pain free is AWESOME!!

San Diego, California
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 1:01am

Hey Gregg!
They started me on 500mg 3 times daily but also told me to start that gradually..... 1 tab per day for 3 days then 2 tabs per day for 3 days then 3 tabs a day daily to start it all.
Apparently this is an ass kicker!  I have heard some pretty heavy stories about it already! One person told me it turned a friend into a blithering idiot! Could hardly walk, talk or function at all and dropped it right away?? Cheesy Then I have heard some good stories too so I will do some reading as you suggested. Thanks Gregg! As usual you got the answer!
.......Johnny Wink

Gaining knowledge and obtaining an education about cluster headaches is the key to success to shutting down the beast. The Vitamin D3 Anti inflammatory Regimen is one of the best treatments ever!
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 5:48am

Quote:
can you give me some feed back on Depakote

Quote:
They started me on 500mg 3 times daily but also told me to start that gradually..... 1 tab per day for 3 days then 2 tabs per day for 3 days then 3 tabs a day daily to start it all.

It has been surprising to read lately of more and more being prescribed Depakote, you are the third person I've read of in the last week on this site and have not come across this so commonly before.  Feedback from one mentions it not seeming to do much.  I have never seen this med mentioned as much as it has recently.

Checking it out though in material written by Drs. Alan Rapoport and Fred Sheftell, they give it a mention, but working it up to 750mg, saying it could be helpful for a few.  You will be using twice that.

It just makes me wonder just how lucrative for doctors this med is to prescribe, it would not seem Depakote would be pushed our way more often now due to its widely accepted effectiveness, which has not been extolled here.  In May of this year, there has been some backlash about this.  Read the last post of this thread:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Let us know how it goes.

edited to add:
I just reread here you are combining Depakote with Topamax.  Maybe they think the combination will augment each other.  I wouldn't know, but interesting they dropped the verapamil for the combination.  Was there any why?  Apparently though, something wasn't working for you before this.  A strong dose of Depakote added combined with Topamax, again, let us know how it goes, if you get any initial prevention and if it lasts.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2012 at 8:13am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 9:00am

Kevin_M wrote on Sep 18th, 2012 at 5:48am:
It just makes me wonder just how lucrative for doctors this med is to prescribe, it would not seem Depakote would be pushed our way more often now due to its widely accepted effectiveness, which has not been extolled here.  In May of this year, there has been some backlash about this.  Read the last post of this thread:

Let us know how it goes.

edited to add:
I just reread here you are combining Depakote with Topamax.  Maybe they think the combination will augment each other.  I wouldn't know, but interesting they dropped the verapamil for the combination.  Was there any why?  Apparently though, something wasn't working for you before this.  A strong dose of Depakote added combined with Topamax, again, let us know how it goes, if you get any initial prevention and if it lasts.

Makes me wonder as well as it did NADA for me (actually gave me migraines instead). Undecided

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 5:55pm

About all Depakote did for me was make my hair fall out. In fact, when I first saw my ex-neuro, I was already on Imitrex SQ and asked outright for an oxygen script. The first thing he prescribed was Topamax (got really sick). Then Depakote (ineffective). Never mentioned Verapamil, I got that by reading here and asking for it from my GP.

So yeah, I'm also curious why the pushing of Topamax and Depakote. And they both cost around $150 or more per month at our usual dosages, name brand.  Roll Eyes

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2012 at 7:16am

Depakote didn't do anything for me, and I refuse to waste my time with it again.  Angry

IP Logged

Clusterman59
CH.com Veteran

Pain free is AWESOME!!

San Diego, California
Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2012 at 9:09am

THEN DONT!

Gaining knowledge and obtaining an education about cluster headaches is the key to success to shutting down the beast. The Vitamin D3 Anti inflammatory Regimen is one of the best treatments ever!
IP Logged

Cupper
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Seagrove Beach FL
Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2012 at 10:17am

I think it's been known to cause many side effects. Especially for women who may be pregnant. Didn't do shit for me and once I saw the class action commercials I knew to stay off it. I say the more natural the better. FDA approves anything these days and Docs are poisoned by Big Pharma with incentives to push anything and everything regardless of health but for profit. No profits in a cure is Big Pharma Mantra!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!