Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Acupuncture? (Read 3014 times)
Tussilago
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Sweden, Norrland
Acupuncture?
Sep 16th, 2012 at 4:29am

Am pondering testing this to address the chronic severe tension headache every single doctor agrees I have as well as whatever causes the spikes. I call this constant ache the background buzz. : p

Maybe useful against the migraine as well...

Any hope this might have any effect on the CH that the neurologists think I have as well (when they don't get caught on the 'but you're a woman' point : p)?

Anyone tested it by a pro?
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2012 at 4:29am by Tussilago »  

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Re: Acupuncture?
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 10:55am

Quote:
Any hope this might have any effect on the CH

Complete waste of time

IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 2:48pm

I went to a really good acupuncturist for a few months in high cycle... I would not say she could effectively treat a severe attack, but while in her office on the table she could knock me out and I would sleep without triggering an attack. Usually I can not even get horizontal for more than 30 minutes without getting hit. It was the only sleep I got for months, so I would say it helped me... more about breaking the tension cycle and getting some sleep.
Not too many acupuncturists will let you take up an exam room for 4 hours sawing major logs in their serene environment, and only charge you for an hour session. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 2:08pm

I did it for about 8 months and it didn't help.

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 5:28pm

I imagine that it would help with some of the stress and anxiety of being mid cycle, but I don't understand why it would help the headaches themselves.

I'm willing to try basically anything to make the cycle stop though.

IP Logged

Tussilago
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Sweden, Norrland
Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 2:27pm

Strange thing is my 3 am clusters stopped right after that one session though. Haven't been back.

Could be pure coincidence though.

It's only in medicine and astronomy people try to dabble with analysis on one example....

I'm just happy I get to sleep on occasions now! If someone told me painting my toe-nails green while praying to God I'd do it at this point....

Had several kip 10s in the last month. One I almost killed myself during before I realised wth I was doing.

Acupuncture IS known to help more against my other types of headaches and with so little known about CH who the **** knows how these headaches trigger or don't trigger each other...

I've been advised btw to try to get doctors to make sure they've ruled out all cluster like headaches, that can be more dangerous.

Fun times.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 5:07pm

Tussilago wrote on Sep 19th, 2012 at 2:27pm:
It's only in medicine and astronomy people try to dabble with analysis on one example....

Oh I was just curious why you mentioned astronomy and was trying to think of something that's happened just once, but only came up with nothingness.  The asymetry of grey matter and antimatter in my head collided, the leftover matter too small for gravity to contain an ever expanding space when thinking.

IP Logged

Tussilago
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Sweden, Norrland
Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 11:34pm

My old fiance was a phd at the astronomy institute while actually into physics. He used to mutter this a lot about his collegues. Wink Like... they found ONE planet in this HUGE area now they're sat speculating how many OTHER planets there are like this one in this mega huge area, quasiscientists etc. /facepalm.

"I sat looking out the window, a redhead walked by, all women in this town must be redheads."

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2012 at 6:14am

Quote:
My old fiance...

I don't know how long ago that was, but by far that's not a one time occurrence, a lot have been found now. The "speculation" has been refined to a degree that 200 particular stars will be observed with the top 80 priortized, then reducing to the 20 best candidates for signatures that one that may hold life.  They've refined where to look, also. 

NASA and Europe's ESA each have competing projects, the Terrestial Planet Finder and Darwin respectively, which will be combined into one endeavor.  To avoid the dust of our inner solar system that makes it difficult to pick out weak features, it will be launched out to the orbit of Jupiter and use interferometry with a series of 4-6 telescopes.

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #9 - Sep 20th, 2012 at 3:25pm

I just got done with my first Accupressure session at the suggestion of my mother. I almost fell asleep while the lady was pressing around my body. She said that she had aligned something that was misaligned in my body and that it should help the headaches.

I'm inclined to think she's full of it. Anyone had any success with breaking a cycle or managing with this?

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #10 - Sep 20th, 2012 at 5:11pm

Tussilago wrote on Sep 19th, 2012 at 11:34pm:
"I sat looking out the window, a redhead walked by, all women in this town must be redheads."

I was sat, looking through what appeared to be a window. Through the window I saw what looked to be a woman who had what looked to be red hair on the side of the head that I could see.

There is a similar joke:

Quote:
An engineer, a physicist, and a mathematician were on a train heading north, and had just crossed the border into Scotland.

The engineer looked out of the window and said "Look! Scottish sheep are black!"
    The physicist said, "No, no. Some Scottish sheep are black."
    The mathematician looked irritated. "There is at least one field, containing at least one sheep, of which at least one side is black."

There are others at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #11 - Sep 20th, 2012 at 6:28pm

idorko wrote on Sep 20th, 2012 at 3:25pm:
She said that she had aligned something that was misaligned in my body and that it should help the headaches.

Sounds like a chiropractor, but anyway, just once I'd like to hear them say, "I couldn't find anything wrong."

Seems doubtful.

Quote:
An engineer, a physicist, and a mathematician were on a train heading north, and had just crossed the border into Scotland.

The engineer looked out of the window and said "Look! Scottish sheep are black!"
    The physicist said, "No, no. Some Scottish sheep are black."
    The mathematician looked irritated. "There is at least one field, containing at least one sheep, of which at least one side is black."

The kiltmaker said, "Baa baa black sheep have you any wool?"

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The skeptic said, "That's a wolf in sheepskin."

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The geneticist said, "Not my grandkid, Dolly's lambs were white.

« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2012 at 6:32pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #12 - Sep 20th, 2012 at 7:52pm

Her title is PT, which I assume means Physical Therapist/ couldn't get into chiropractory school.
She didn't snap anything like I've heard chiropractors do, just sorta messaged and touched my snipe, neck, eyes, nose etc.

She wanted to see me again in three weeks. I had my hit around 6 again at the same intensity and I expect to have the same cycle continue tomorrow regardless of what this woman did.
She was very nice, I just think she's full of it.

Math, sheep, etc.

Quote:
An engineer, a physicist, and a mathematician are shown a pasture with a herd of sheep, and told to put them inside the smallest possible amount of fence. The engineer is first. He herds the sheep into a circle and then puts the fence around them, declaring, "A circle will use the least fence for a given area, so this is the best solution." The physicist is next. She creates a circular fence of infinite radius around the sheep, and then draws the fence tight around the herd, declaring, "This will give the smallest circular fence around the herd." The mathematician is last. After giving the problem a little thought, he puts a small fence around himself and then declares, "I define myself to be on the outside!"
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2012 at 7:56pm by idorko »  

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #13 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 1:08am

idorko wrote on Sep 20th, 2012 at 7:52pm:
Quote:
An engineer, a physicist, and a mathematician are shown a pasture with a herd of sheep, and told to put them inside the smallest possible amount of fence. The engineer is first. He herds the sheep into a circle and then puts the fence around them, declaring, "A circle will use the least fence for a given area, so this is the best solution." The physicist is next. She creates a circular fence of infinite radius around the sheep, and then draws the fence tight around the herd, declaring, "This will give the smallest circular fence around the herd." The mathematician is last. After giving the problem a little thought, he puts a small fence around himself and then declares, "I define myself to be on the outside!"

Not sure if the physicist wins here. For a circular fence of infinite radius, this will have, assuming it is made of non-zero rest mass particles, an infinite mass. This will then collapse into a black hole, which as a singularity will have a smaller volume than the small fence the mathematician created.

However since it has an infinite radius and it can only collapse at a velocity lower than the speed of light, it will take an infinite amount of time for the collapse to happen, so the mathematician will die of old age before he is proved to be wrong.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #14 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 5:34am

Quote:
a circular fence of infinite radius

The dark energy of space with a positive cosmological constant would forever keep it expanding, unable to contain the sheep.

Unless...

Quote:
However since it has an infinite radius and it can only collapse at a velocity lower than the speed of light, it will take an infinite amount of time for the collapse to happen, so the mathematician will die of old age before he is proved to be wrong.

Can't travel through space faster than the speed of light according to special relativity, but space itself can do whatever it wants in general relativity. If the space within the fence collapsed in reverse-inflation at superluminal speed, the physicist will realize the singulary in his time, but will contain everything else in the universe.  The mathmetician is right to "define" himself outside, but I'd go with the engineer.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #15 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 6:09am

Kevin_M wrote on Sep 21st, 2012 at 5:34am:
Quote:
a circular fence of infinite radius

The dark energy of space with a positive cosmological constant would forever keep it expanding, unable to contain the sheep.

But the infinite mass of the fence would overcome the effect of the finite dark energy, so it will still collapse.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #16 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 6:35am

Mike NZ wrote on Sep 21st, 2012 at 6:09am:
But the infinite mass of the fence would overcome the effect of the finite dark energy, so it will still collapse.

I can see that, Mike.  I had a hard time with:

Quote:
a circular fence of infinite radius, this will have, assuming it is made of non-zero rest mass particles, an infinite mass.

A circular fence of infinite radius spread over infinite space would not seem to have the aggregation in one area to create gravity.  This was my sticking point that expansion would rule, which doesn't take place in gravitational fields, such as our solar system.  Infinities are hard to grasp, though.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #17 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 8:17am

I see what you are saying, Mike.

Quote:
She creates a circular fence of infinite radius around the sheep, and then draws the fence tight around the herd,

Drawing the fence tight would create the scenario you wrote, I wouldn't disagree.  What I am saying is that the physicist is wrong in thinking he could draw the fence tight (I simply dismissed the idea) against space ever expanding it.  Also that a fence of an infinite radius and mass spread out could not collapse on its own due to any gravity generated.  The physicist is also wrong in assuming he could do it in his lifetime, as you mentioned, without reverse-inflation as the only imaginary way.

I believe we are in agreement.  Apples and oranges there.    Smiley

It would not happen in the locality of Earth if it were to happen with reverse inflation, which would take the whole universe with it.

Quote:
The mathematician is last. After giving the problem a little thought, he puts a small fence around himself and then declares, "I define myself to be on the outside!"

Therefore, the mathematician may realize this catastrophe, but it is a matter of whether he CAN define himself outside the universe.
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2012 at 9:00am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #18 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 4:42pm

Wouldn't the Mathematician cease to exist if he defined himself as outside the universe?

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #19 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 5:36pm

idorko wrote on Sep 21st, 2012 at 4:42pm:
Wouldn't the Mathematician cease to exist if he defined himself as outside the universe?

This is probably a question to be answered by the philosophers.

From a physics perspective, even if the mathematician defines himself to be outside, it doesn't actually make him outside in the same way that he could define himself to be the king of America would not be effective.

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #20 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 5:45pm

I would assume that he, given the precedent of the other two getting what they wanted, would also get what he wanted, therefore end up outside of the universe.
Now all we know is the universe contains our laws of existence, so when the mathematician is removed from those set laws as defined by our existence, he would cease to exist by the laws defined by our universe and existence and instead start to exist by the laws defined by the current universe or nothingness in which he currently resides. In the case the outside of the universe has no laws for existence, he would cease to exist.
Not the best analogy, but if you were in the United States and flew to another country with which the U.S had no extradition treaty and were caught doing something illegal, you would be bound by those laws, not the U.S laws.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #21 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 6:16pm

If the mathematician were placed outside of our universe then for an observer in our universe he would cease to exist as no information could be exchanged between the two universes. Similarly for the mathematician, our universe would appear to cease to exist for the same reason.

All of this then jumps to the philosopher's realm in defining what the end result is.

Of course if the mathematicians definition is non-valid then he is stuck in the same universe.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #22 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 7:58pm

Quote:
Now all we know is the universe contains our laws of existence, so when the mathematician is removed from those set laws as defined by our existence, he would cease to exist by the laws defined by our universe and existence and instead start to exist by the laws defined by the current universe or nothingness in which he currently resides. In the case the outside of the universe has no laws for existence, he would cease to exist.

I might agree with Mike.  How our universe evolved and is evolving and the processes governing our existence may be revealed with discovery by science, but to supplement our understanding with reflection could be called philosophy.

It may be possible to claim that only God can exist outside the universe, timeless and eternal, the cause of all causes, First Cause, or prime mover. 

Alternatively, there is the mathematical conjecture of multiverses in each of which any number of fundamental aspects of physical reality may be different and the laws of physics are merely accidents correlated to our existence.  If the laws of nature are themselves random, then there is no prescribed cause for our existence.

I might think the joke was written by an engineer, to show the practicality of the profession as opposed to the theoretical occupation of a mind and paper world. The other two responses to the question of containing the sheep are possibilities presenting themselves as obviously impractical, in no way a better idea, and as to appear silly.

Yet it all makes for a bit of rumination.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #23 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 8:27pm

Kevin_M wrote on Sep 21st, 2012 at 7:58pm:
I might think the joke was written by an engineer, to show the practicality of the profession as opposed to the theoretical occupation of a mind and paper world. The other two responses to the question of containing the sheep are possibilities presenting themselves as obviously impractical, in no way a better idea, and as to appear silly.

It was written by someone who understands how all of them think as the argument from each appeals to the way each person thinks.

Were I still at university I'd go with the physicist, however living now in the more practical outside world I do appreciate the engineering solution.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #24 - Sep 22nd, 2012 at 7:13pm

Please, folks, can we get back to the subject?

Beer.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!