Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sphenopalatine ganglion block via intranasal lidoc (Read 4665 times)
Squirrel
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Wisconsin
Sphenopalatine ganglion block via intranasal lidoc
Sep 11th, 2012 at 1:51pm

Yesterday my hubby had Sphenopalatine ganglion block via intranasal lidocaine for the first time.  The procedure wan't all that uncomfortable.  Unfortunatly, he had a severe central nervous system reaction to the lidocaine, and ended up going from the pain clinic to the ER via ambulance.  He thought he was going to die.  About 9 hours later, he was well enough to go home.  We kind of joked around and said "what if the ch's go away - would any doc do this again knowing what happens to me?"  Well, guess what - no ch last night (first time since the start of August).  Anybody else tried this treatment?

IP Logged

Squirrel
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Wisconsin
Re: Sphenopalatine ganglion block via intranasal lidoc
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:49am

Really?  Nobody?

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 9:21am

I haven't had this treatment, but I am surprised no one has responded. It seems to me it's been mentioned before. The upside is...no attacks for the night you mention. Has that remained true? What caused the reaction to the lidocaine and how did they treat your husband for it? I know lidocaine isn't unheard of but I think the results have been quite mixed. God bless. lance

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 12:32pm

I tried intranasal Lidocaine a few years ago, but it never really seemed to help.

IP Logged

Squirrel
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 3:55pm

The procedure was done with long q-tips and lidocaine, and took about 20 minutes.  I'm not sure what the dosage was.  He was fine for the first half hour afterward, then got bad.  At first he was treated with anti-nausea meds and IV fluids.  At the hospital he was given more anti-nausea meds and lorazapam to help him relax.  They kept him on all the fun monitors and did random EKG's.  I think time is what healed the reaction.

He had what he called a "normal person's" minor headache last night.  We'll see what tonight brings.

IP Logged

Squirrel
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Wisconsin
Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 8:44am

Three nights with only one minor ch per night.  Hmmm, end of cycle or procedure was successful (this time)?

IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 1:59pm

Squirrel wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 8:44am:
Three nights with only one minor ch per night.  Hmmm, end of cycle or procedure was successful (this time)?

Good question! Lidocaine would only take the edge off very low KIP HA for me, useless for a full blown attack... but that is just me.
Curious to see what your final assessment is.

IP Logged

John B
CH.com Alumnus

Phoenix, AZ USA
Reply #7 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 6:46am

I'm using this method to cope. Self administered sphenopalatine ganglion block using 5% lidocaine. I insert four long swabs all at once and leave them in place for  10 - 15 minutes.  I breathe 100% oxygen with a mouth adapter on a mask setup I get from Denmark, take 20/650 Percocet and an ice pack. I'm on background Nucynta 24/7 so the Percocet boosts that. This usually helps enough to avoid using a shot of DHE, which costs me $60 each at this time. New insurance with Aetna, and they refuse (so far) to cover DHE at all. BTW, I'm chronic for 23+ years now.

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 8:45pm

I've had the same SPG block twice and it made me worse. Not only do you get lidocaine or cocaine in the blocks, but you also get steroid medication which could also temporarily stop clusters. I do hope it continues to help you.

Good Luck

I4B

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!