Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dexamethasone? (Read 668 times)
idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Dexamethasone?
Sep 10th, 2012 at 7:19pm

I'm starting a five day Dexamethasone run at my family doctor's recommendation. 20 mg a day (which I've read is equivelant to 120ish mg of Prednisone) This is my first cycle and my confirmed dx. I'm also on Inderal and Celexa with Imitrex as my abortive/day pro. (She told me if I have one headache, to take the imitrex and it should stop any other headaches for the day)

Anybody have any luck with this? What side effects should I look out for? I've read in some places that it's crap and in some places that it's the best.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Re: Dexamethasone?
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 12:52am

Are you taking the pill form of Imitrex? For CH we need Imitrex injections first or the inhaler 2nd. The pills take too long to act and last a very short time. Read around this website and you'll find the answers you need.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: Dexamethasone?
Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 9:17am

Quote:
Anybody have any luck with this? What side effects should I look out for? I've read in some places that it's crap and in some places that it's the best.

I don't know if your intentioned antecdedent was the steroid or the trex pill. If it was the trex pill, we find they are too slow to actually help, although some have found a pill at bedtime can be helpful.  If you were asking about the steroids, then yes, they can interrupt a cycle. End a cycle? Not likely. But their greatest use is an intermediate drug while giving time for a longer term preventative (like verapamil) to kick in. Side effects? Wanting to eat everything in sight but beyond that, in the short term, nothing to worry about. blessings. lance

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!