Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Insurance coverage for O2 (Read 1501 times)
oldred82
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Insurance coverage for O2
Sep 10th, 2012 at 5:42pm

I would like to hear from anyone who is a miitary retiree who is on medicare with "Tricare for Life" as his/her supplemental.

Last spring I used O2 for the 1st time for my CH. Early on, I was told that Medicare would not cover O2 for CHs but that TFL would. I got the O2 and used it for about a month (I was nearing the end of a cycle when I got it). The problem has been the billing. The company that provided the O2 refused to send the bill thru medicare, or directly to TFL, because they were operating under the assumption that Medicare policy would not provide the O2 so it was a waste for them to bill either of those agencies. They billed me and and I paid it. In this case, the amount is only over $100.00, and it sounds like I'm responsible for the 1st $150.00 anyway, but there is still a small part of the bill in the chain for which I'm awaiting an EOB.

The reason I ask is that I have an appointment with my Neuro this week. I think this med supply co. has a virtual monopoly in my area (Seacoast New Hampshire). This Med supply co. gave me good service as far as the O2 is concerned but their billing has left me puzzled. They even charged me a finance charge because I didn't pay within 30 days ?

If anyone has any good info on this, please respond by email because I do not visit this site very often when I'm not in cycle.
email:raymondd938@gmail.com.

If anyone living in the NH seacoast knows of other providers of O2 than Keene Medical Supply, please let me know.

Oldred82

IP Logged

tachead
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Re: Insurance coverage for O2
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2012 at 6:16pm

Have your doctor fill one of these out and give it to the insurance ding dongs...that usually shuts them up and they will pay..hope this helps
tachead
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

oldred82
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 5:56pm

Hi Tachead:

Thanks for the form. It could be useful. The thing that puzzles me about the billing problem is  the way it was handled. It seems like I must be the 1st case of a Medicare patient who is retired from the military, and has Tricare For Life as secondary, who suffers from these CHs. Even if that were so, in my area, this medical supply company must get 90% of it's business from Medicare, so you would think they would know that they must bill them before they bill the patient. ?????????????

I'm still waiting for the last EOB from either Medicare or TFL. They have told me that it is a covered service. I would like to know the correct procedure because I will probably want more O2 when these headaches come back. Even with a regulator allowing only 6 to 9 LPM the O2 helped. I think I was near the end of that cycle by the time I got the O2.

Over the years I have been my worst enemy in one sense. When I got into a cycle, I couldn't get an appointment and by the time I could get an appointment, I didn't have the headaches so I didn't pursue it. I also have a family Doctor who thought 2 aspirin was the answer ???????????????

I've also been the "victim" of EENT Doctors who operated for a deviated septum when they should have known that there is little or no connection between a deviated septum and CHs. I also had another EENT guy operate on my sinus for loss of the sense of smell. That didn't do any good either ??????????????

Easy money, "Maybe" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oldred82

IP Logged

tachead
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 7:42pm

Many have gotten the same misdiagosis and mistreatment.
The VA picks up my 02 and I haven't had a problem that way. Being retired military maybe look into that resource for 02. Undecided
tachead

IP Logged

oldred82
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 5:59pm

Thanks for the suggestion Tachead but it wouldn't work for me. I'm not disabled so I'd be at the bottom. Tricare for Life told me it was a covered service. I'm just trying to find out how to process the bills. All of my experiences over the last 17 years of being on Medicare, and the last 10 with Tricare for Life, have been without problems. Their systems work like clockwork, at least that has been my experience so far.

RED (Oldred82)

IP Logged

Asa
CH.com Junior

x0|San Angelo|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 8:28pm

Well, thanks for scaring the hell out of me, Red.  My neuro prescribed O for me and I just got it this week...and filed through TriCare Standard!  Great. 

Actually, I think we'll both be okay.  Try logging onto MyTricare.com.  I'm pretty sure that you can file the claim yourself.  Get the prescription from your doc and the receipt from the low-lives who won't file under Tricare and send the forms in yourself.

Good luck AND please come back and let us know if it all worked out for you...the insurance and the Oxygen.

IP Logged

clavers
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 11:48am

I have found insurance companies to be such a pain in the A-- that I just pay for the oxygen myself.  I get an E tank for $10 at Lincare.  It is affordable to get several of these a month and not deal with the damned insurance.

IP Logged

oldred82
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 8:35pm

Thanks for the follow-ups. I have received the EOB covering the O2 I used last April. It is covered by Tricare for Life. Apparently the patient (me), has to pay the 1st $150.00 plus 25% of the rest. I had already paid the supplier. The total bill was only $110.00 so it's part of my deductible.My Neuro's nurse also told me that there is another supplier nearer to my home that provides this service so I'm going to explore them so's I'll be prepared the next time I need it. I don't mind filing the claim myself. But it still puzzles me that this company didn't know what to do when they must get 90% of their business from Medicare patients ??????????????

RED

IP Logged

Asa
CH.com Junior

x0|San Angelo|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
Reply #8 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 8:54pm

Who knows, Red.  I had a doctor once that completely stopped taking insurance...you had to pay him then file the paperwork yourself to be reimbursed.  He said that the insurance companies have got so bad that it was taking him forever to get paid and, even when or if they finally paid, they were constantly under-paying.  he was a great doctor and, unfortunately because of his decision, wound up going out of business.

It could be the same for the business you dealt with.  I know that more and more of the medical community is refusing to accept Tricare because of their underpaying.  Great news for us vets, huh?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!