Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Acid reflux and CH? Antacids work for me! (Read 1096 times)
chait
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Acid reflux and CH? Antacids work for me!
Sep 10th, 2012 at 4:10pm

Hi All,

I've been a CH sufferer for 7-8 years now with about 2 cycles a year lasting 6-8 weeks each. The attacks are usually in the morning or early afternoon. I have found that taking antacids at night before bed (usually omeprazole 20mg) prevents an attack the next day 80% of the time. Also, eating a carb-heavy breakfast soon after waking up helps to reduce the severity of the attack (if it comes at all).  I just wanted to share this incase it helps anyone else, and also if anyone knows of any relation between nightime acid reflux and CH?

IP Logged

fun2drum
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Marion NC
Re: Acid reflux and CH? Antacids work for me!
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2012 at 4:46pm

Heck, I'll try that.  Can't hurt.  I have acid reflux at times and usually just chew up some tums and eat some ice cream to get rid of it. 

Something you said about a carb-heavy breakfast interests me.  Is there any correlation with carbs in the diet and CH attacks in anybody?

Gary
A drummer with a headache.
Western NC - USA

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 6:22am

I suppose if one's CH is somehow triggered by low blood sugar, then the carb-heavy breakfast would raise those levels and therefore affect the headache. But I'm just theorizing here.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 8:53am

I take omeprazole for acid reflux and it does not effect my ch.  Interesting that it would work for you tho.  Glad you found something that works.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!