Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Occiptal Nerve Block Works (Read 516 times)
strobes
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Santa Barbara, CA
Occiptal Nerve Block Works
Sep 10th, 2012 at 8:54am

quick note to let you know that this was the first year i tried an Occipital Nerve Block and i am happy with the results. I've had Ch for over 10 years. They were misdiagnosed as Migraines, for the first 5, until finally i found the Neurologist who understand what i had. My Treatment during the CH episodes has been pure Oxygen and ice packs for relief with Actiq (fentanyl) for emergency pain relief.
My Mmedication to get through has been Prednisone (sometimes large doses 60mg/day) Verapamil, depakote and Ambien for sleeping. This has been a huge amounts of drugs with a 30 to 40 day tapering period. Yes the drugs always work but man that's a lotta drugs.

So this year i read about the Occipital nerve block on this site. I asked my neurologist about it. He was unsure about it but to his credit he suggested another doc in town at the Pain Main Management center.

I setup the appointment that day. I proceeded with a series of 2 injections one week a part. Typically they do a series of 3. First one is supposed to last days, the second weeks, then the last one lasts for months. I did the 2, one week a apart and had to leave town.

Anyway, YES the shots broke the cycle. And yes I started up the Prednison anyway. But no Verapamil, nor depakote this time. I had the 2 shots, and a blast of Prednisone, also some sleep-aids to get through my insomniac night. Ambien and Trazodone.
All in all, I feel great. And you will too. I suggest that you consider the shots before you start the drugs. Next year when they hit me, I will start with the shots at the first sign. And yes I did have the signs. My CHs are seasonal, so i know when they come. Also my CHs are circadian and wake me up at 1AM. I started waking up with a start about 2 weeks before the headaches actually hit. I knew they were coming. I had warning. Next year, when I start waking up, i will go for the shots. LAST NOTE: My Doctor who does the injection also mentioned that they offer an implant that they layup next to the Occipital nerve. Apparently when the CH hits, you fire up this wire/implant and the CH goes away. Does anyone know about this?
Stan
Santa Barbara, CA

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: Occiptal Nerve Block Works
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2012 at 11:57am

Stan, it's great to hear the ONB worked for you. I seem to be having great results as well. But I remain cautious and skeptical only because I've gone into a slow chronic cycle in the past w/o the ONB. Still, I'm hopeful. It doesn't work quite so well for most of us, though. We've had a bunch of mixed reviews most of them tiliting toward...not so much. The occipital nerve stimulation you mention has had similar reviews. It's less common than ONBs but some have gone through with it. Again, most but not all report less than exciting responses. All of these can work for some people some of the time. Right now, you and I are riding the crest of the success wave. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!