Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verapamil (Read 2867 times)
mjstokie
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Verapamil
Sep 5th, 2012 at 9:07am

I was a sufferer for 30 years until i was diagnosed with cluster headache. I was prescribed Verapamil and have not had 1 headache in 4 years. I have now got my life back thanks to this.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: Verapamil
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 10:25am

Congratulations, and welcome. We recognize verapamil as a frontline preventative for CHs. As does the medical community. I have been taking verapamil since 1987, starting at 240mg/day with good effect, and after all these years now have to take 640mg/day. Some go as high as 960. Anyway, glad you're doing well. blessings. lance

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 8:02pm

Great to hear!  Smiley I had to back off due to heavy side effects, but it did work pretty well while I was on it.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 9:11pm

I successfully used verapamil for years, but Little Elvis didn't play well together with ol' Mr. V.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 11:39pm

I can't imagine going 30 years before getting a diagnosis. I bet you were over the moon to get an accurate diagnosis at last.

Verapamil is pretty good, I know it works well for me, although I'm sure there is concrete dust in the tablet from it's effect on the digestive system.

Hope you continue to be pain free with it.

IP Logged

fun2drum
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Marion NC
Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 1:47pm

As a newcomer to the forum I'm finding this interesting.   What are the downsides to it, besides not being able to eat grapefruit and having to go sparingly on the Red Bull?

Gary
A drummer with a headache.
Western NC - USA

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 1:55pm

Other than the persistent constipation, if my previous reply isn't a "down" side, I don't know what is....

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

fun2drum
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Marion NC
Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 4:37pm

Brew wrote on Sep 6th, 2012 at 1:55pm:
Other than the persistent constipation, if my previous reply isn't a "down" side, I don't know what is....

Oh I get it now.   Embarrassed

Gary
A drummer with a headache.
Western NC - USA

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 5:06pm

I was in my early 20's when i tried it and man it put "little elvis" into hibernation! Cry The constipation and the ED are the most commonly complained about side effects that are discussed here. Low blood pressure and swollen joints get mentioned less often.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 9:39pm

I can tolerate it without side effects up to 360mg and below.  At times more is needed, but I quickly lower it to 240 when able and that helps my CH activity to behave most of the year, with strong coffee and also oxygen at times.  In the last few years there have been stretches when I can completely discontinue it, but not now.

IP Logged

Lenny
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles,CA
Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 10:19am

The only side effect that i have with it is the big "C"...anytime that i go above 480,i get very light headed...other than that,all is good...Lenny

yes a newbie,unfortunately not to the beast!!!Chronic - Clusterhead

IP Logged

sagandra
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Tampere, Finland
Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 1:05pm

Hi,
Verpamil...i am on it 4 x 80. It works (my pred taper from 80 is now 10 and only 1-2 ch per 2 days, kip5, so it works.) Problem: doc wants me on depakote since i have bipo and i have used it successfully for migraine prevention (they dont seem to get that ch is no migraine).  This could though be solved by going to another doc. But another bigger problem:

I have started to have chest pain in mornings on left side. Have anyone had this with verpamil? I quess its not prednison.. I have been taking verpamil for 5 weeks, started same time with prednison. i posted earlier under my "getting to know ya" thread that i would like to continue verpamil but starting to worry about side effects. Anyway i am curious to know if anyone has been forced to stop verpamil because of chest pains?   

PF wishes Smiley

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 3:08pm

A list of side effects is not a statement that 100% of users will have that experience. The listing is required by law and gives experience data ranging from 0.5% and upward.

Wisdom says: use this information to give guidance; look for any changes in you body and consult your doc.

Not wise to exclude using the med based on a possibility which may not affect you.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #13 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 8:29am

Chest pains are nothing to mess around with, particularly with verapamil. Call your doc right away. They can do an EKG strip and perhaps even run a blood test to make sure things are OK. Call today, OK? blessings. lance

IP Logged

sagandra
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Tampere, Finland
Reply #14 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 9:20am

Thanks Lance, doc called! Said that have to taper off.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!