Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
So Confused Insomnia/Cluster Calming down (Read 1379 times)
lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
So Confused Insomnia/Cluster Calming down
Aug 29th, 2012 at 3:58pm

So 3 nights in a row i had horrible Insomnia, first night im not sure if i slept at all or if i just laid there for 4 hours but i tried sleeping for 7 hours then the next night i was only able to sleep one hour after laying there for 8 hours same thing the following night ! i always take 10mg of melatonin and so after the first night i increased another 5mg and took 2 benadryl (my sister suggested who is an RN said better then prescribed sleeping aids on your body) and still no luck. I think this may be from the Topamax, Some of the side effects have came back, Tingling, extreme loss of appetite. but even with the loss of sleep normally i get 6 CH a day i have only been getting 2. I just had to post because it is so strange to me and see if anyone had any helpful hints on helping me get some sleep, i should be passing out no problem, Ive worked 72hours this week.

Only the strong survive!!!

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: So Confused Insomnia/Cluster Calming down
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 8:04am

I don't remember Topomax having that kind of side effect when I was taking it. Sleep's a funny thing. It may be that you do need a sleep aid. Check with your doc. blessings. lance

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 10:05am

Have you been tested for sleep apnea?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 10:59am

Thanks lance, i had a couple samples of lunesta 3mgs the doctor had given me for when i was on prednisone and i never took them. but gave in last night and look half of one and slept like a baby. Thank god because i haven't been able to really function at work between feeling so drowsy and having the clusters still. Brew, I have never been tested for sleep apnea, but i will bring this up to my doctor when he returns from vacation on 9/4/2012, However i don't snore or breath loud when i sleep, so i have been told. Its just so strange because normally lack of sleep triggers them. i can only think the Topamax is helping CH but causing Insomnia. hm mm

IP Logged

Mike Bernardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Chesterfield, NJ
Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:16am

Are you having trouble falling asleep or staying asleep? Are you napping at all? are you wide awake at night or sleepy and just can't fall asleep? Some of these are important details, take it from someone who has had insomnia. Are you doing other things in your bedroom like playing on your computer or watching tv? Did you try mood music, is there absolute darkness in your room?

Stay PF.
Mike

IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:49am

Mike, Im dead tired i just lay there. I think about nothing most off the time. I dont ever nap, When i do fall asleep except last night thanks to the lunesta (dont want to make a habit of that) it is less then 30 mins at a time. IDK what to do. Thanks, Lydia

IP Logged

Lenny
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles,CA
Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 1:17pm

lydia nichole wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:49am:
Mike, Im dead tired i just lay there.

Lydia...this is normal (only if your HAPPILY MARRIED) Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

forgive my sense of humor...on a serious note...this happens to me quite often...perhaps its getting older,this disorder,the meds we take,stress,etc...who knows...wishing you nothing but the best.....Lenny

yes a newbie,unfortunately not to the beast!!!Chronic - Clusterhead

IP Logged

Tussilago
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Sweden, Norrland
Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 6:05pm

What my neurologist told me to do when I first brought up the sleeping problems was: "walk!".

Eeeeh....

Ye.

He wanted me to just get out and walk, walk, walk, walk, walk, walk right before going to bed. So my body would be exhausted, then go to sleep.
It did help a bit. It did improve.

Now I'm in a worse few weeks though. Maybe I've been slacking on the walking... need to ponder that one. Wink

Well... I've got into better shape at least !

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:51am

Major trouble sleeping and a bad reaction to Ambien (unauthorized sleepwalking!) are what caused me to recently start running. I figured if I can tire my body out a bit, I might sleep better. So far it actually seems to be working. I still wake up with a 3 AM hit, but I'm better rested for it.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #9 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 8:17am

Your neuro may just be trying to help, but it sounds like he/she has no clue what to do about a CH attack. Exertion only works for some. Maybe you will be one of those. For me, and for others, exertion actually triggers an attack. Has something to do with raising the body temperature and all that. Try it, but if it doesn't help or makes things worse, know that's part of what so many here experience. blessings. lance

IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #10 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 11:33am

i walk alot, i dont have a car right now so i walk around 3 miles on average a day on days where it is not hot, heat and humidity is a huge trigger for me and here in VA humidity is a big issue! this last week or so it has been great and i have been walking about 4-5 miles a day and i still get the CH but no insomnia anymore, i really think it was the Topamax side effects. i also stopped taking melatonin. during the fall and winter my cycle always calms but never stops goes from 6 a day to about 2-3 CH still sucks but i look forward to it !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!