Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Saw the neurologist today (Read 1622 times)
Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

x0|New York|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Saw the neurologist today
Aug 28th, 2012 at 8:16pm

Here's the latest..Zonagran is only substantive change to my regimen (which includes verapamil, vitamins)

Chronic at this point as of a few months ago.

1) prescription for sleep clinic to check apena eventhough it may just be a seperate issue.

2) order for new MRI (it's been 5 or so years) just to make sure all is kosher there.

3) prescription for Zonagran (never heard of it) 25mg build up to 100mg.

4) up melatonin dose to > 12mg a night

IP Logged

tachead
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Re: Saw the neurologist today
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 9:30pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Another anti seizure med. Standard stuff. See if this works see if that works. Hope it works Cheesy
tachead

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 10:17pm

Zonegran was little to no help for me, you may have better luck. What dose is your Verapamil? 480mgs a day is the average to have Verap help. Many chronics have to combine Lithium with it.

Do you have a proper Oxygen setup?

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 8:17am

I am on 600, have been on 720 of verap.  Have also been on Lithium 900, had a rough time with the side effects.  I'm pretty sensitive to side effects. 
Have O2 at home-- that helps a lot.

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 10:16am

Have been doing 75mg Zonagran at night.  Totally dopey during the morning hours.
Tapering off pred (now at 40mg)
Neuro said to try 1 spray in each nostril of Migranal every 8 hours for 7 days (she said in super rare instances DHE has broken cycles but this would be a long shot, and usually it was IV DHE that worked) but since I've been so resistant to other things, to give it a try. Usual caveats about NO mixing triptans etc.
DHE is a killer on the stomach and I'm 3 days in.  I haven't had any clusters even on a low dose of pred, but I do have a feeling when this 7 days of squrting in the nostrils is over, I'll be getting them again unless then Zonagran kicks in.
Blah...  trying to stay optimistic.

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 5:17pm

For the Migranal tummy troubles, double-check that you're not sniffing the spray. It's meant to only contact the lining of the nose, not go into the sinuses or throat. I personally found that the Migranal caused less stomach upset than Imitrex but ymmv.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 5:49pm

Interesting..that could be it, b/c I definitely am tasting it in my throat.  I'll try to adjust the usage.  Imitrex never causes me any stomach issues, and I have the same experience of tasting it in my sinuses, weird.  It might also be the Zonagran, but I don't think so since I had one day in between and no stomach issues until using the Migranal. 
Fingers crossed that SOMETHING is gonna work.
Thanks!

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 7:06pm

Yeah, "tasting it" is a sure sign that the spray is going deeper than it should. I know I'm not "sniffing it" when the spray actually drips back OUT of my nose. Gross, but true. Definitely see if that helps. But be aware that Migranal, even if taken correctly, can cause digestive upset.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 9:04pm

There's a reason the nurse gives you Reglan before she does the slow push of DHE-45 in the hospital.

She don't like getting puked on.  Shocked  Smiley

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!