Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What a drag! (and depakote) (Read 1269 times)
Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

x0|New York|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
What a drag! (and depakote)
Aug 26th, 2012 at 12:28pm

Have read a few links in the archive about depakote.  Not tolerating the lithium very well (my level at 600 was too low and on 900 I felt terrible), so may try this instead.  Still on 720mg verap, but that's not helping very much on its own.

Sadly, I think I may have to do another taper on pred as I try another prevent cocktail... the HA's are coming fast and furious and I can't make it through a day at work like this. 

I'm alternating between DHE nasal (stops ha's for > 24 hours) and newer triptans (but not on same day) to get through, and those are pretty rough on a system.  Using O2 at home whenever I'm here.
So.. Depakote up next I think. Busting is coming up quickly on the list of next things to try.. but not there yet.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Re: What a drag! (and depakote)
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2012 at 12:04am

Depakote does not have a good track record for CH. For me even 1,000 mgs a day did nothing. It made me quite ill too. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2012 at 10:38pm

Can't say I had a good experience with Depakote. At best it did nothing for me, though I have to say it seemed to make things worse. I had horrible rebounds while taking that stuff, and improved quickly once I got off that stuff and went on vit D3.

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 8:04am

Well that' is not encouraging Smiley  I am currently on 80mg of pred (3rd day) and still getting hit.  D3 didn't work for me (had a very high level below 200) and was taking calcium, etc.... back to the drawing board.  Thanks for the comments!  I"ll let you know how it goes for me.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 10:11am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Explore this site. Long section of questions/answers which might have something. (One of the best headache clinics in the Chicago area.)

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 8:23pm

bob- great link!   Thank you!

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 9:03pm

Depakote didn't help me any + made me start losing my hair.

Good Luck,

I4B

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 9:12am

Imitrex4Breakfast wrote on Aug 28th, 2012 at 9:03pm:
Depakote didn't help me any + made me start losing my hair.

Wel shoot, genetics and 7 kids helped me do that!  Cheesy
Joshua, I know this isn't great advice since very few have been helped by it, but have you tried/considered an occipital nerve block? I ask because it was the last preventative I tried, with no other changes, and after a month I'm still pain free. I believe they'll come back, but the interlude without pain has been wonderful. Just curious. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 10:26am

I had tried nerve block about 3 years ago, she injected into the back of my head and kind of fanned around.  I had two series of these, it didn't help much.  She called it "neve block" - is this the same as Occiptal?  Also, insurance stopped paying for blocks, I asked for one yesterday... they're $300bucks a pop, and since it didn't work last time, I was disinclined to pay. Angry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!