Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taurine powder (Read 2591 times)
PaulSyman
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Wyoming, MI
Taurine powder
Aug 20th, 2012 at 9:42am

Has anyone tried Taurine powder?

I'm wondering if it would work the same as Monster or Red Bull and be more cost effective to just mix it with whatever else you want.  Thinking about giving it a try, something else to add to the list to be prepared for the next round of hits.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: Taurine powder
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:17am

None of us are clear on why the energy drinks seem to help...but they most certainly do seem to help. I think the taurine has some effect on the caffeine which in turn has an effect on the CHs. It's pretty useless for me without O2, though in combo it works great. I tried the taurine supplements as a possible preventative and no joy. Maybe you'll have a different experience as an abortive. If you try it, let us know. blessings. lance

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 12:17pm

It seems to be a pretty complex picture. Taurine is an amino acid with several effects on the body, many unknown.

Here's a good WebMD link on taurine alone: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Interestingly for some of us here, it seems to interact with lithium according to that source.
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2012 at 12:19pm by AppleNutClusters »  
jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:47pm

wimsey1 wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:17am:
None of us are clear on why the energy drinks seem to help...but they most certainly do seem to help. I think the taurine has some effect on the caffeine which in turn has an effect on the CHs. It's pretty useless for me without O2, though in combo it works great. I tried the taurine supplements as a possible preventative and no joy. Maybe you'll have a different experience as an abortive. If you try it, let us know. blessings. lance

I' with Wimsey on this one; I was the first to try Taurine supplements as a preventative after (Sanna) sandie 99 discovered the RED BULL fix & they didn't work at all for me.

What I did discover though was that the Taurine makes medicinal drugs work faster & more effectively & hence the need to talk this over with your GP before using them in conjunction with any medication, especially those with heart conditions.

Taurine works very much like a turbo on a sluggish diesel engine, it makes it go better & faster.

Cheers
Barry
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2012 at 5:34am by Barry_T_Coles »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 3:24am

Taurine is a calcium channel antagonist, just like verapamil is. Just like caffeine is a vasoconstrictor. However this may or may not be why they are effective against CH.

IP Logged

palm
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 7:15pm

I've tried Taurine supplements and it didn't seem to work, but perhaps I just didn't take them long enough or not enough of a dose.

The energy drinks work because of the instantized caffeine, which acts as a quick vasoconstricter, thereby reducing vascular pressure on your trigeminal nerve. Perhaps other stuff in them help too, I don't know.

Monster has a low-calorie version of their drink, which for me works just as well as their original product but without the weight gain. Tongue

I'm sure I get looks when I buy crates of it at the super market . . . Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!