Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sleep Apnea/sleep disorders: 2012 overview (Read 1752 times)
Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Sleep Apnea/sleep disorders: 2012 overview
Aug 18th, 2012 at 11:30am

orofac pain. 2011 fall;25(4):291-7.
topical review: cluster headache and sleep-related breathing disorders.
bender sd.
abstract
this article reviews the existing literature of the common anatomic and physiologic aspects of cluster headache and sleep-related breathing disorders to point out evidence suggesting potential therapies beneficial for both maladies. a search of pubmed, as well as relevant textbooks, was conducted using the terms cluster, headache, sleep, apnea, pain, and chronobiology to find any previously published work that may connect the two disorders. relevant references in the literature were also investigated. as a group, cluster headache patients tend to have a higher incidence of sleep-related breathing disorders as compared to the noncluster headache population.

WHILE COMMONALITIES IN ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY EXIST, ROBUST EVIDENCE LINKING THE TWO DISORDERS IS CURRENTLY LACKING. MANY PEOPLE ARE UNAWARE THAT THEY SUFFER WITH A SLEEP-RELATED BREATHING DISORDER. THE HIGH INCIDENCE OF THESE TWO DISORDERS OCCURRING TOGETHER SHOULD PROMPT THE CLINICIAN WHO TREATS CLUSTER HEADACHE PATIENTS TO BE ACUTELY AWARE THAT A YET UNDIAGNOSED SLEEP DISORDER MAY ALSO BE PRESENT.
pmid:22247924[pubmed]
================================================================================
=============================================================
Cephalalgia. 2012 Apr;32(6):481-91.
Cluster headache and sleep, is there a connection? A review.
Barloese M, Jennum P, Knudsen S, Jensen R.
SourceDanish Headache Center, Denmark.

Abstract
PURPOSE OF REVIEW: Sleep and the chronobiological disease cluster headache are believed to be interconnected. Despite efforts, the precise nature of the relationship remains obscured. A better understanding of this relation may lead to more effective therapeutic regimes for patients suffering from this debilitating disease. This review aims to evaluate the existing literature on the subject of cluster headache and sleep. LATEST

FINDINGS: Several previous studies describe an association between episodic cluster headache and distinct macrostructural sleep phases. This association was not confirmed in a recent study of seven episodic cluster headache patients, but it was suggested that further studies into the correlation between cluster headache attacks and the microstructure of sleep are relevant. The connection between cluster headache and the hypocretins is currently under investigation.

SUMMARY: There is evidence in favour of an association between episodic cluster headache and REM sleep whereas no such relation to chronic cluster headache has been reported. Particular features in the microstructure of sleep and arousal mechanisms could play a role in the pathogenesis of cluster headache. Reports indicate that cluster headache and obstructive sleep apnoea are associated. Single cases show improvement upon treatment of sleep apnoea, but the causal relationship remains in question.

PMID:22407656[PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

x0|New York|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Re: Sleep Apnea/sleep disorders: 2012 overview
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 8:26pm

Thanks Bob!  My partner recently commented that he thinks my sleep (which is never sound) is related to my clusters, which I totally agree with -- it's great to read your post.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:01pm

I truly believe that there is a greater-than-chance commonality between the two disorders, but for me, at least, successful treatment of the apnea has had no effect on the CH.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

BlueDevil
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Australia
Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:59pm

I have had sleep apnea for many years but only went on CPAP about 13 months ago. The CPAP is working well with AHI's consistently below 5. However I developed CH about 10 months ago. So paradoxically when my sleep apnea issues were controlled by CPAP I still went on to develop CH.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 12:31am

My brother just got a CPAP machine for apnoea which meant shearing off a 35yo beard.

None of us recognised him and we ignored him completely down the pub.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 6:08pm

To add to the sleep data (for what it's worth), I also find that CH and poor sleep piggyback each other. I was a sleepwalker as a kid, and from what I've learned, it rarely continues into adulthood. When I am in cycle, I've been known to occasionally sleepwalk. These episodes have occurred when not having an actual attack, but never when I'm out of cycle. Don't know what that means though.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 7:39pm

Well, I don't actually have sleep apnea, so my neuro said going to a sleep clinic is probably not going to be helpful as they are geared toward that issue.  I do have terrible trouble staying asleep.  I fall asleep w/ no issue, but wake several time at night.  It's been this way since I was a kid.  I've tried not eating/drinking, taking sleeping pills (knocks me out but doesn't keep me asleep) and continue to take melatonin.
it's been an ongoing battle... still working it out! Undecided
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2012 at 7:39pm by Joshua »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 8:40pm

How do you know you don't have sleep apnea if you haven't had a sleep study done?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 8:53pm

Good question!  One I don't have a great answer for. I was under the impression that sleep apnea was the disruption of sleep due a pause in breathing or weak breathing....  and having a sudden waking episode.  From what I hear (from people who have shared my bed Roll Eyes ) - i'm not a snorer, nor do I exhibit those "typical" sleep apnea characteristics of violent breathing and gaps in breath.

But now that you've posed the question, I can't really say unless I go to get tested.  It's on the list.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 9:12pm

When I was diagnosed in 2001, the sleep study I had done revealed that I was waking myself on the average of 33 times per hour to reinitiate breathing. My O2 serum saturation would sometimes dip down to around 80%. I would NEVER enter that deep, restful sleep phase that the human body requires for rejuvenation. And my ass was draggin' - all the time.

No sudden, violent waking. No gasping for breath. Just waking up all the time to start breathing again. And not even aware it was happening.

Get the test.

IP Logged

JeremyP
CH.com Newbie

Push the envelope. Watch
it bend.

Pingree Grove, IL
Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2012 at 4:12pm

From what my sleep doctor told me, my apnea will slow the o2 flow and my brain wakes up, but my body stays asleep and I can never tell that it had happened. What this does is keep me from reaching REM sleep stage so I can sleep all night and then wake up exhausted. I was put on a CPAP over a year ago and then stopped using it because it would wake me up in the middle of the night, so I would take it off and go back to sleep. I was also diagnosed with Hypersomnia (excessive daytime sleepiness) from a daytime sleep study.

I was then diagnosed with cluster headaches and was told to start using my CPAP regularly. So I did. Then my CH got really bad. So here's my theory: As long as I wasn't using my CPAP, my CHs weren't that bad, but once I got back into the REM sleep, they got bad again. From what I understand, there's a correlation between the REM sleep and CHs. So what I'm getting at is that my apnea may actually be preventing the nighttime attacks. I'm no Dr, but that's just what I've noticed.

Let us fight to free the world, to do away with national barriers, to do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead to all men's happiness. - Charlie Chaplin "The Great Dictator"

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #11 - Aug 24th, 2012 at 4:52pm

All I'm saying is treat the CH, AND treat the apnea. They are separate treatments. When you have a handle on both, life gets real much good.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!