Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Depression- histamines (Read 1610 times)
snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
Depression- histamines
Aug 14th, 2012 at 8:03pm

I would like to hear from you guys what you do about (assuming you suffer from it like I do) the devastating depression. I don't know if it is just a "over the top" pain reaction or if it is something truly associated with the syndrome itself. Also, I (this is when I'm in cycle but not actually suffering an attack that I am referring to) get this mental state of haze and my eyes stay fuzzy. I am just in a fog all the time while in an active cycle. Anybody else? I wonder if it is a stimulated over production of histamines and these are like allergy-type symptoms?

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Depression- histamines
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 9:12am

The symptoms you mention are not consistent with depression.

When your cluster attacks are well controlled do you have symptoms different from those you mention?

The starting point would be to discusstion the question with your doc to screen out any side effects of the meds you are using. Until that's done, it's not possible to sort out medical from emotional issues.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 9:25am

Actually I should've done this in 2 separate posts. They are completely independent of each other. I take Lyrica for neuropathy (diabetic) and I think that helps with the depression ("why me?", "I can't stand anymore", you know). The other thing, the one I theorize to be histamine production has always been a part of the cycle for me. I've never been one who could simply have an attack and just go "alright, that's done. Off to work!" Dig?

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 10:53am

"Dig?" No really, but the "why me?" is a clue.

Take a look at:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 2:59pm

THAT'S IT!!!

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 3:16pm

Bless you!  Thanks...

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 4:05pm

This line from pain v. suffering helped me the most at work, when I was trying to work through the accommodations process:  "This is my body not working right; it has nothing to do with morality or sin or fairness. My job is to care for ME, NOW, not fret about fairness." I kept feeling guilty that I was letting my teammates down, having to leave a few hours early because of CH, getting hit a lot at work, etc. And after I accepted the idea that my body was rebelling and it wasn't my fault, I started to realize that my friends already knew this. They didn't begrudge me the accommodations, because when they need ME, I do the same.

I guess sometimes you just have to stop beating yourself up for things you can't control.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 12:31pm

Yeah, my wife tells me ( I know it's true) that when I am in cycle (and even when I'm not, to some degree) I obsess over the whole thing. It is constantly on my mind, affecting all my decisions and activities. Isn't the fact that I am on the internet, now, on a forum discussing it with other sufferers, evidence of that? If I'm not actually having an attack, I am still trying to figure out if something I ate may have precipitated it....and on....and on....etc.
     I AM GOING TO TRY TO DO BETTER AND KEEP MY HEAD UP, A SMILE, AND THINK OF OTHER, MORE POSITIVE THINGS!!! Can I getta attaboy!!??

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #8 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 5:58pm

Attaboy! (Leave that poor horse alone already!)  Smiley

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

bigred
CH.com Junior

persaverance

x0|corning|USA||0|0|IA,Iowa
Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 6:24pm

snookarosis wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 12:31pm:
Yeah, my wife tells me ( I know it's true) that when I am in cycle (and even when I'm not, to some degree) I obsess over the whole thing. It is constantly on my mind, affecting all my decisions and activities. Isn't the fact that I am on the internet, now, on a forum discussing it with other sufferers, evidence of that? If I'm not actually having an attack, I am still trying to figure out if something I ate may have precipitated it....and on....and on....etc.
     I AM GOING TO TRY TO DO BETTER AND KEEP MY HEAD UP, A SMILE, AND THINK OF OTHER, MORE POSITIVE THINGS!!! Can I getta attaboy!!?? 

DING DING DING We have a winner!This is so much what it is like when I am Cronic.Its hard to not get down when somthing takes over your life and affects your home and working realationships.I spend so much time adjusting my diet,and meds trying to get a good combination to be pain free for more then 2 days,little is left to be spead into other areas of my life I used to do before my HA started 8 years ago.

fishing for relief in a very big pond.

IP Logged

snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 11:36am

yeah, me too. I suspect (it would be a feeling of comfort in a perverse way, I guess) that there are many here who struggle with these issues. True?

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

x0|New York|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 5:28pm

This thread and the comments are describing my exact conversation today with my partner.   Since going chronic in earnest over the past few months, it's medicine this, neurologist that, tweak this, try that.... it was to the exclusion of other things that are crucial to a healthy balance.... i've been trying hard of late to take everything in stride.  Continue to make plans, continue to go to the gym, etc... it is tough, but reading the painvsuffering link was helpful....

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #12 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:20am

Effects I have noticed (and that are backed up by clinical trials with other people) from "clusterbusting" with Psilocybin--Less depression (almost non-existent at this point), hardly any more of the "why me" syndrome, and a huge decrease in frequency and intensity of my hits.  Highly recommended. 

Another drug to look into if depression is getting you down... 

Ketamine, another drug that has helped me immensely.  The intranasal spray I use has been kicking my clusters to the curb fairly effectively (no magic bullet but I'm not taking half as much imitrex as I was and no more hydrocodone needed)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
Reply #13 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 1:08pm

you one "alternate" dude, man. I can definitely dig it. How the hell you come up with a ketamine inhaler?!

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #14 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 10:07am

It's not really an inhaler, just a spray I put up my nose.  My neuro prescribed it for me just about a year ago.  Like I said, no magic bullet, but it has made my quality of life significantly better.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!