Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shadows - who does what? (Read 3965 times)
Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

x0|New York|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Shadows - who does what?
Aug 14th, 2012 at 8:39am

Starting yesterday, the morning starts off with a low level HA, that responds to oxygen when I'm on it, but comes back within minutes after stopping.  This happens if I go back on it as well.  I tried to abort with Zomig, but it has no effect on this type of pain/shadow.  I've had ALOT these before, but they are usually at the front or tail end of an attack, and don't last all day, like it did yesterday. 
Red Bull no joy.  Only thing that works is O2, but only while I'm on it, and I can't sit on a tank all day.

IP Logged

TJMBeav
CH.com Junior

Longview, WA USA
Re: Shadows - who does what?
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 8:48am

Joshua - I have been without a serious hit for six weeks now (after starting the verapamil), but when I tried to cut down on the verap dosage I did get a couple of strong shadows.  Missed a dose of Verap day before yesterday and got another one (left the meds at home - opps).  Anyway, I tried taking a sumatriptan 100 mg pill and the shadow went away.  Not sure if it would have gone away anyway - but have done this twice with success.

Good luck.

Go Beavs

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 8:48am

It's on my list.  Other pain management meds were suggested, but they don't really fit in with being out and about. 
it's a new development..hopefully transient.  Maybe this is how the headaches are changing as my body responds to lithium.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 9:03am

I use red bull and 02. Sorry it's not working for you.  Undecided

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 11:23am

Ditto what Joe said, ceptin' I use a double Monster. Hope you get these under control. blessings. lance

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 11:57pm

You may be suffering from a rebound headache rather than a shadow. I had terrible rebounds this past cycle when mixing tryptans with taurine (Red Bull, etc.). Anything with caffeine also gave me one, to a lesser extent. The rebounds would last literally all day, often leading straight into another cluster.

Not fun at all. Hope you get this figured out.

IP Logged

BlueDevil
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Australia
Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 6:17am

High dose soluble aspirin works well for me for shadows.

IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 4:28pm

This may just be me, but... most prevents and abortives that work for me easily take care of the K5-K10's. What I find is I get more low level stuff and it hangs on... and on...
Can't say it makes it worse, not quite rebounds (or maybe it is). I get the distinct feeling the beast is not really going away, just suppressed and leaking in around the edges... like he will have his say whether it is 2 weeks of K8-10's... or 2 months of successful aborts/prevents with nearly constant K2-5 shadows.
I try to avoid conclusions like this because they are based on the observation of a completely unpredictable and constantly changing beast... conclusions are only as good as the data they are based on, and the data goes all over the place regularly, all by its self. That said, I would use only oxygen if there was a way for me to sleep without waking up every 30-60 minutes with a K8.

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 7:39pm

Definitely annoying, but at least you have the real nasty stuff under control.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 10:05pm

Joshua,
Are you hyperventilating your o2 as outlined by Batch in previous threads or just breathing the o2?   

Hyperventilating o2 requires at least 25 lpm and the crunch method truly helps abort success including fast abort times.

Hope this helps Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 11:29pm

japanzaman wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 11:57pm:
You may be suffering from a rebound headache rather than a shadow.
Not fun at all. Hope you get this figured out.

Hi Joshua
I agree with japanzaman; it does sound like rebounds,,

As we all know CH does morph & throw different shots at us, my last cycle was just like you describe; kill a hit with o2 & in a short period of time it was back, get on the roundabout agian & again.

I remembered that years ago when I first went chronic & had constant shadowing I could get a decent nights sleep if I went to bed with a cold pack on the CH side so I tried  a cold pack on the cluster side when I was on the o2 & when I had killed that hit I would get another cold pack & lay on that & it would stop the rebounds, this may be a little inconvenient during the day but it worked great for the night time.

As a footnote whenI say killed the hit I really mean killed.

This is a quote from me that Clusterchuck wrote in his very well researched work in OXYGEN INFO
"My preferred method is to count the number of breaths I take to get rid of the hit & then stay on the O2 for the same amount of breaths, I can usually abort a hit with about 80 to 100 breaths but I breathe straight from the bag as I have a beard & can’t get a proper seal with the mask.

The most important thing is to be absolutely sure that you have killed the hit, no "maybe’s" or "nearly", if you don’t ensure its gone before you do the follow up breathing there’s a good chance of getting a rebound hit & that will be even harder to get rid of than the original one."

- Barry

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Barry
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2012 at 11:42pm by Barry_T_Coles »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 4:53pm

Barry, thanks for the info... not sure what is really going on... I've never been hit this way before in 20 years.  I do find that if I take Migranal to abort, the acute attack is resolved within 20 minutes, but there is a strong residual that lingers.  If I use a more modern triptan (Zoming) - the acute attack is wiped out very quickly and there is no residual, but I am likely to get hit again on schedule at night, whereas with Migranal, I get relief from acute attacks for up to 24 or 36 hours.

*I am not using triptan and DHE within 24 hours of eachother*

I just raised my lithium dose to 900mg's really hoping it takes...  Seeing neuro this week.
Oxygen is always my first choice if I'm home.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #12 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 12:09am

There's a prescription product in Oz called Panadiene Forte, a combination of paracetamol and codiene which I'm told is available in the US under different names. I found it to be quite effective for serious shadows and even some minor hits. Washed down with a serious cup of coffee it works even better with a just a tiny dosage.

Don't know how it reacts with other stuff but have no doubt you'll check it out properly first.

Cheers and beers,

B.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #13 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 12:36am

You may want to go the DHE injections. They work very well for me. During all but my peak cycle I get 24 hrs PF. During my peak I still get wake up attacks but not as many and easily stopped with O2.

Also my insurance limits the Migranal but not the DHE injection, strange but true.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Headbanger
CH.com Newbie

Horton heard a hoo

Reply #14 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 8:28am

A 5 hour energy kills my shadows. Also Relpax is the best thing ever invented in my opinion. It works like a charm for clusters. If you havent tried it, may I suggest you do.

All you need is Love.

IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Reply #15 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 1:26am

Relpax... best thing ever for letting me sleep... till I developed nightmare rebound headaches during the day... everyone is different, but beware if you get better in some ways and worse in others???

IP Logged

whatamess808
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #16 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 5:45pm

I am currently in my off cycle, but I am having almost constant shadow like symptoms. It is really annoying, and have also been having dizzy spells, and it's hard to concentrate most of the time. Has anyone else had these types of issues?

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #17 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 5:57pm

Any change in what's normal for you (Normal? With CH?) should really be discussed with your doctor. A quick check of the old blood pressure mightn't hurt.

Let us know how you get on because. we really do care.

Cheers from down under,

Brian.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

moneymaker
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #18 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 8:11pm

i am getting the same thing its like mini attacks but not to the point of being more then a k2,eye gets red and watery,small temple and ear pain,i can hit the 02 but it comes back in a hour,went htru a whole  E tank yesterday playing these games,,,If i takea 50 mg sumatiptan it goes right away in 5 minutes and dont return for 12-18 hours or until i fall asleep at night,,,,,what i think it is,well i think its telling you the bad cycle is just about over but dont screw up as its still there,,,i am hoping mine is into remission soon as this is the longest cycle i have ever had,it may seem short to some of you,but last time it was 4 weeks and did not have a issue for 2 1/2 years until Sept 26 this year and i still get the wake up call about 2 hours into a deep sleep,but some 02 and back to bed for the rest of the night,then get them small aggrevating hits about 4 times a day.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!