Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Effect of Exercise on CH??? (Read 754 times)
jlcalbre
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Richmond, VA
Effect of Exercise on CH???
Aug 13th, 2012 at 10:02pm

I have had CH for  about 13 years now.  For the first 10 of those I smoked about a pack a day, was a good 75 pounds overweight, and just led a generally unhealthy lifestyle.  I used to have cycles about every 6-9 months, some lasting for 2 months or more.  About 2 years ago, after having quit smoking for a year, I started exercising regularly, mostly running, shed the 75 lbs, and am now training for my first marathon.

Although I started exercising for other reasons, frequent exercise and the overall improvement of my general health seems to have had a very positive effect on my headaches.  In the last 2 years, I have had one cycle and in it the frequency and intensity of attacks were drastically lower than what I am accustomed to.

I am curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.  Possibly a reduced blood pressure is factor or just a consistent more elevated level of O2 in the blood.  Who knows.  Maybe I'm just lucky.  I'm certainly not dumb enough to think I'm cured but it would be interesting to know what, if any, connection there might be between overall health/frequent exercise and the severity/frequency of CH attacks.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2012 at 10:04pm by jlcalbre »  

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Effect of Exercise on CH???
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 11:22pm

I have always been a gym rat, never smoked, the only effect exercise ever had for me was as a mild abortive. In the early days when I'd feel an attack coming on I'd go for an all out sprint for 15 to 30 minutes. Would ratchett the Intensity level down a couple clicks.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 12:02am

For 30 years I was a pacer. Stopped smoking 4 years ago and immediately became a rocker, so I dunno.

Reckon I'll warm a coldie instead.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Christine M
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 1:24am

Glad it works for you.  I have had CH since I was 15 (44 now) and the one thing I have learned is that hardly any two clusters are the same, and that different things work for different people.  I say, if it's helping you, stick with it!  I am an avid exerciser and at times have had exercise triggered attacks.  For some reason, this cluster, every time I run I have an attack.  Not cycling, not lifting, nothing except running will trigger an attack (it hasn't stopped me, I just always make sure I have a shot waiting for me at the end).  So don't be surprised if someday this doesn't work for you anymore...but while it's working, then don't change anything!  The overall implications on your general health of all the positive changes you have made is likely having an impact.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!