Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Trying to avoid CH while running (Read 6154 times)
AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Trying to avoid CH while running
Aug 8th, 2012 at 11:06pm

Okay, so I'm trying some new things to attempt slaying what may be CH morphing to chronic (may not, let's hope). One of those things is that I've started slowly incorporating running as exercise. I live in the muggy, humid, always stormy Richmond, VA however, and my big triggers are heat, humidity, and especially pressure changes.

Are there any other CHers in a similar predicament? How do you manage running or similar exercise without triggering your HAs? I came really close today. I was thinking if I had some kind of cooling cap or could rig one up, might have helped. I don't want to give up the exercise because I think in the long run (ha!) it might help. I can't afford a gym at the moment, and I work two jobs so accessing even a free place could be out of bounds.

Any suggestions are welcome.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Trying to avoid CH while running
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 11:26pm

Isolate the smallest part of your house that you can and crank up the air-con beyond full, then you can exercise your little head off.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2012 at 7:37am

Lancet. 1999 Sep 18;354(9183):1001-2.
Comment in:
Lancet. 2000 Jan 8;355(9198):147.

A new cluster headache precipitant: increased body heat.

Blau JN, Engel HO.

Exercise, a hot bath, or elevated environmental temperature provoked cluster headaches, within 1 h, in 75 out of 200 patients. This new observation accords with recognised precipitants--alcohol, histamine, and gyceryl trinitrate--perhaps via generalised vasodilatation or hypothalamic activation.

Publication Types:
Letter

PMID: 10501368 [PubMed]
=====================

Some of us have been able to block an attack by using one, 2mgSL, ergotamine, about 1-hr prior to exercise.

Problem is: I don' know whether it's available: ask your druggist.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

SethG
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

NYC
Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2012 at 11:27am

Hey everyone...I am in the same situation, I want to start running again but I am concerned it will make my CH's more painful. 
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2012 at 12:00pm by SethG »  

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2012 at 6:56pm

AussieBrian, that would be my second-floor apartment bedroom, and my downstairs neighbors would kill me! I wouldn't have very far to run, either. LOL
Smiley

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2012 at 7:00pm

Bob, I will look into that. And I do make a distinction between my pharmacist (as in the younger guy who works at Walgreen's and dispenses the newer medicines) and my "druggist" who works at the old-school compounding pharmacy. If the medicine has ever existed, he will know if it's still made or can be made.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2012 at 8:13pm

Do what I do when I want to avoid CH while running.

Avoid running. Wink

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 12:11pm

But dangit Brew, running is so annoyingly virtuous and healthy!

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 1:14pm

AppleNutClusters wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 at 12:11pm:
But dangit Brew, running is so annoyingly virtuous and healthy!

I was afraid you'd say that.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #9 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 8:51pm

I tried being a dork and stuffing icy gel packs under my hat. Also chugging Monsters before and after a run. So far so good. I also take a "Vanquish" pill (Acetaminophen 194 mg, Aspirin 227 mg, Caffeine 33 mg) right after running along with 64 oz of water. I keep sumatriptan SQ 4 mq as a stand-by. And of course, my buddy Oxygen.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 11:24pm

Swim

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #11 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 2:09am

Watch videos of other people running. So much easier.

IP Logged

Lisa in TX
CH.com Newbie

Make it stop

Dallas/FtWorth
Reply #12 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 1:15pm

I'm currently training for a 10k so I'm running every other day outside in TX heat!  My neuro suggested I take one indomethacin (50mg) prior.

I can't wait to hear other suggestions!  Not running isn't an option for me. It's my time away from my 3 kids Cheesy

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #13 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 6:19pm

Ran today, weather was in the high 80s, low 90's with plenty of humidity. I hydrated before going (1 hour fast walk/run intervals), took some caffeine and ibuprofen ahead of time. And got b*tch-slapped with a post-run CH. Luckily the O2+Imitrex punched it down within 20 mins, but it happened.

I'm thinking it may be dehydration-related in this case, though. I didn't sweat very much despite working hard and having hydrated beforehand. I felt dizzy too, and I wasn't pushing it. Perhaps the lithium I just started is playing a hand in this too. More water!

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #14 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 6:59pm

I think this is going to vary from individual to individual. I have had some situations where I was working out pretty hard when the cluster came and I managed to work through it. It would peak at about a K5 or so, then die back down. I had to be working at near max level for that to happen though.

I've also had success with sit-ups and abdominal workouts, for some strange reason. They are good at clearing shadows out of my head.

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #15 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 7:15pm

Certainly explains the deep urge I've always had to go running as fast as possible to "outrun" the cluster, before I knew about proper abortives. I think it's just the brain's sneaky way of getting to hyperventilate oxygen without a prescription. Of course, it gets hard to explain a frantic, eye-dripping, barely-coherent 3 am run to a passing cop or neighbor.  Roll Eyes

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

jlcalbre
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Richmond, VA
Reply #16 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 9:41pm

Keep running.  It can't hurt you.  If you're going to have attacks anyway, at least you'll look good in the process.  I'm in RVA, as well so I sympathize with the heat and humidity.  You could always run down on Belle's Isle or Brown's Island and just jump in the river when you get too hot Smiley.  It may help you in the long run.  I've run pretty much every other other day for the last two years and believe more each day it's what is keeping the beast at bay for me.  The last 2 years have been a cakewalk compared to the 11 before that.

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #17 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 4:09am

That's what I hoping too, jlcabre. Short term = clusters, but hopefully long-term it will help. And hey, I didn't know there was another RVAer here! If you ever want to meet up for coffee or whatever, I'm usually not too far from the Apple Store at Short Pump.  Smiley I'm currently just risking my life running down the road I live on (Lauderdale Drive, yikes!) but for a weekend hike, the river would be great.
---ADDED---
Just got back from a run today (8/16), 2 miles in about 25 minutes (I'm slow). I started to feel the CH come on, so I immediately jumped into the cold shower when I got home, hit the 02 & Monster, and avoided the attack. Ha!  Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2012 at 7:30pm by AppleNutClusters »  
jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #18 - Aug 24th, 2012 at 8:19pm

Another update, for the runners. I think my CH while running is mostly triggered by overheating or dehydration. For the last week or so, we've had cooler temps in VA. And I've also been hydrating like crazy before a run. So with the cooler weather and water drinking, I've been able to avoid a running-induced CH the last three times I tried! Bottom line for me, at least, is: run during cooler weather and HYDRATE! And don't push too hard, which leads to overheating, which leads to an attack. (Have 02, Imitrex, and a COLD shower at the ready after every run, too.)

For me, this works. Hope it helps someone else.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

AubanBird
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

everywhere...
Reply #19 - Aug 27th, 2012 at 2:07pm

ive tried some ridiculous things to try to avoid cluster headaches due to heat.  most of them i would not suggest because i see how it could possibly be good for you. 

so far as running though, until i was diagnosed i would feel one coming on and go for a full sprint until i collapsed.  eventually i got to the point where i would sprint half a mile in about two minutes.  sometimes i would pass out, most times i would puke, but it usually worked. 

it did seem to help in the long run.

oh, and since i have been on lithium, i have noticed that i have to drink a lot more water to stay hydrated.

IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Reply #20 - Aug 27th, 2012 at 4:00pm

May be uncomfortable while running, but ice pack around the neck cools you down quick (some big arteries running through there).

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #21 - Aug 27th, 2012 at 10:19pm

AubanBird wrote on Aug 27th, 2012 at 2:07pm:
so far as running though, until i was diagnosed i would feel one coming on and go for a full sprint until i collapsed.
oh, and since i have been on lithium, i have noticed that i have to drink a lot more water to stay hydrated.

That's actually how I got the idea to go running long-term... one desperate night I did just what you did, and just ran full-out. And discovered after maybe 10 minutes the headache was gone! I figured if I could get my fitness up by running regularly, it might increase my response to 02. Maybe?

Good reminder about the lithium which I just started, albeit in a tiny 150 mg dose.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #22 - Aug 27th, 2012 at 10:23pm

ttnolan wrote on Aug 27th, 2012 at 4:00pm:
May be uncomfortable while running, but ice pack around the neck cools you down quick (some big arteries running through there).

I did try an icepack (small kid-size gel pack) under a baseball cap once. Seemed like it might have been effective, only it was too small to stay cold long enough. There are also these things: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register I used one in New Mexico once. It might be too humid here to work as well, and it's not so much icy as just cool.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #23 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 7:50pm

Ya gots ta get yerself a bigger hat.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #24 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 7:23pm

Ice helmet?

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!