Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Trying to avoid CH while running (Read 6175 times)
Mike Bernardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Chesterfield, NJ
Re: Trying to avoid CH while running
Reply #25 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 1:31pm

I've run 2 marathons. I run in the heat and cold. My suggestion is this. For the heat, buy a camelbak, fill it with as many ice cubes as you can, then the rest water, and drink enough of the icy water, and keep a head wrap on and keep it wet with the icy water. Works for me, plus the icy water on your back keeps you cooler as well. Get the 100oz camelbak, as it's fairly large and will stay cold much longer. Even on the hottest days it lasts quite a while.

Mike

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #26 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:56pm

That's a great idea, Mike. I hadn't thought about using a Camelbak. I'll have to save my pennies and try that.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Mike Bernardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Chesterfield, NJ
Reply #27 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 5:03pm

Try Amazon for good prices. New models just came out so the old models will be discounted and usually free shipping over $25.

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #28 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 7:12pm

Good advice (re: Amazon discounts!), so thanks! I had to take a week's break from running. I stupidly decided to try a full run in my new "barefoot-style" running shoes--needless to say, instant pain and blood blisters! Stupid me. I'll be needing a bit of recovery before trying my run again.  LOL.    Roll Eyes

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

tachead
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #29 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 1:45pm

Neuro and vascular stimulation is a trigger for me.
YMMV
tachead

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #30 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 6:26pm

Tachead, not sure what you mean. Neuro stimulation to me just means anything that affects your nervous system--as in, everything! Can you be more specific?

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

tachead
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #31 - Sep 9th, 2012 at 3:12am

Neuro stimulation to me = sensory input from environmental factors resulting in emotional or physical response creating neurochemical or endocrine activity that in turn triggers an attack. Sudden fear, fatigue, ect. Physical activity triggers an attack...this has happened to me anyway.
Like this only with natural stimulation not electrically induced;
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Hope that clears it up for you. Winktachead

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #32 - Sep 10th, 2012 at 10:56pm

Yeah, that clears it up somewhat. I knew that by starting running, I might trigger CH via exertion, heat, dehydration, or god-knows-what. And that was true for a while. But overall, the running has helped so far. Yes, I might trigger CH by running. But in the long term, running exerts me enough to help with sleep, which in turn may help with CH. It's all related. Somehow.  Roll Eyes

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #33 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 12:03pm

In a nutshell. If I did something that caused me extreme pain, then I'd stop doing that.

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #34 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 2:49pm

seaworthy wrote on Sep 15th, 2012 at 12:03pm:
In a nutshell. If I did something that caused me extreme pain, then I'd stop doing that.

But what if you had spent a year trying many different drugs, vitamins, oxygen, supplements, and treatments? Would you be willing to try something "crazy" like getting more exercise? It does cause me pain sometimes, but that's often part of any medical treatment. It hurts to get stitches, but in the long run, it heals the wound.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #35 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 6:54pm

But when you started this thread, you gave no indication that you were trying to run as a treatment for CH.

I'm confused. Running has its benefits, I guess, but your question about "...try(ing) something 'crazy' like getting more exercise" to treat your condition doesn't fit with your original goal of trying to avoid CH while running.

Some people say they can abort attacks by engaging in vigorous exercise at the onset. I never tried it, so I don't have any first-hand experience.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #36 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 7:24pm

I think I mentioned more than once that I was hoping exercise would help with the clusters and insomnia? Yes, running is causing CH attacks in the short-term. My hope is that it will help with treatment of the condition over time as I improve my overall fitness. And it's just a hope, not like I have any medical basis for this experiment. I feel it is better than doing nothing.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #37 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 8:20pm

Then I hope it works for you.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #38 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 10:06pm

Thanks man, I hope so too. And I will be the first to come back and admit if it doesn't.  Roll Eyes

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Reply #39 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 2:54pm

Getting in top shape is a good idea. It did not treat my CH, but my overall feeling of well being was improved, making it easier to tuff out the CH. Bounce back quicker, feel better... why not?

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #40 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 9:17pm

Exactly, ttnolan. Plus as I've gotten better at running, it's feeling more and more like flying. And after a year of daily CH, that's a feeling I'm starting to really cherish. On a more concrete note, I'm also wondering if running will increase my V02 max and make me more efficient at huffing oxygen.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Mike Bernardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Chesterfield, NJ
Reply #41 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 8:40am

Apple, yes it will. When I was nearing my max level of fitness preparing for both the Philly and the San Diego marathons, I noticed that, while my HAs were still present, I had the most noticible reduction in them and fastest ability by running, mostly due to my fitness level and ability to take in oxygen. The key is being able to process oxygen quickly to get it to your brain and ease the pain.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!