Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting the right o2 equipment (Read 1347 times)
JeremyP
CH.com Newbie

Push the envelope. Watch
it bend.

Pingree Grove, IL
Getting the right o2 equipment
Aug 7th, 2012 at 10:16pm

I just got my o2 delivered and it's not an o2 canister. They explained that it takes o2 from the air and purifies it. I asked about getting the canister and they said that at 10 lpm, they would have somebody out here everyday to replace it. I thought that it had to be pure 100% o2, is that right and if it is, how do I get the right stuff? If anybody has had this problem or suggestions I would love to hear them. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2012 at 3:19pm by JeremyP »  

Let us fight to free the world, to do away with national barriers, to do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead to all men's happiness. - Charlie Chaplin "The Great Dictator"

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Getting the righ o2 equipment
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 3:42am

Hey Jeremy,

The home oxygen delivery man was either stupid, full of crap, or just being deceptive because the home oxygen provider he works for makes a significantly higher profit margin from providing you with an oxygen concentrator than they would providing you with compressed oxygen cylinders.

What did your prescription read?  It it didn't specify an "oxygen flow rate of 15 to 25 liters/minute with a non-rebreathing mask for cluster headaches," call your physician and have the Rx changed to read as above.

You need the large home oxygen cylinders.  They come in M/H/K sizes.  Three of the 3995 liter M-size oxygen cylinders will last you a month at three aborts/24 hours at an average flow rate of 25 liters/minute.

They look like the photo below:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Read the following link then call the home oxygen provider and tell them you have cluster headaches not COPD and that they can pickup the oxygen concentrator because you need three of the M-size oxygen cylinders with a flowmeter type regulator or you're taking your business to another provider:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Be polite but firm...  Tell them you know what you need...  and don't take any crap from them...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Re: Getting the righ o2 equipment
Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 10:39am

I keep the smaller E tanks, use them at 10Lpm, can get 3-4 aborts per tank, and don't need them delivering even every week because I get ten of them, which lasts awhile and costs no more than getting one delivered.  They're easily transportable if need be.

For me, the reason for variation in use is that I maintain a low dose of verapamil while chronic, which seems to contribute to moderate the ramp up time just enough to 7-10 minutes before I'm at a K5 and all usually aborted by K8 within eight to ten minutes when I do get hit.  Others may or maynot get this effect from verapamil but it has been my experience for a long time and gives me a window to act, breathe very calmly, get results every time, and simply move on.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2012 at 11:19am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

JeremyP
CH.com Newbie

Push the envelope. Watch
it bend.

Pingree Grove, IL
Re: Getting the right o2 equipment
Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 3:25pm

Thanks for the info guys. I gave my doc a call and he called the company and straightened it out. Showed up with an o2 tank that's weighs as much as I do. My wife's going to have cow when she sees it. Maybe I could put a lampshade on it when I'm not using it.  Grin Then they forgot my non rebreather mask. So, that's being shipped to me, while I debate about puncturing myself with my last sumavel. Cry If anybody is in the Elgin area in IL, let me know, and I'll tell where not to go and get your supplies.

Let us fight to free the world, to do away with national barriers, to do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead to all men's happiness. - Charlie Chaplin "The Great Dictator"

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Getting the right o2 equipment
Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 5:16pm

Hey Jeremy,

What kind of regulator did they provide and what's the max flow rate.  Is it a click style with selectable flow rates or flowmeter type with a plastic venturi tube calibrated up to 15 liters/minute?

While you're waiting for the Non-rebreather oxygen mask, make yourself a redneck reservoir bag. 

The complete MacGyver instructions to build and use this contraption are listed in post #4 of the following link:

You'll need to pre-fill the Redneck Reservoir Bag system and seal it with a rubber band for a gas tight seal ahead of time.  If you do the math, the volume of the redneck reservoir bag is 150 liters so filling it will take 10 minutes at a flow rate of 15 liters/minute.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!