Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
coma (Read 1330 times)
snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
coma
Aug 5th, 2012 at 7:44am

Okay.... I know it musta come up before but I can't find it, and I know how extreme it is but we have all at least entertained the notion of (drum roll) induced coma. Has anyone ever been put into a coma for the expected duration of a cycle? What happened? Why couldn't this be an option? I'll brace myself

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: coma
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 8:30am

Yeah....no.

Never done that.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

WayneJohn
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 8:52am

Hmmm! Coma is often used to allow healing, following severe head / brain injury. this is generally because the trauma would be too great to survive. There are of course great risks involved in promoting a coma, not least bringing the subject back out. I think that as bad as CH is, inducing a coma may be a step beyond.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 4:04pm

For the past 33 years as an ECH'er...I normally go into cycle every other year, always odd years, always left side, average 12 weeks. 

In January 2006, I suffered a three week coma due to a horrific accident and believe that coma impacted my hypothalamus to the point of delaying my cycles six years until last August 6th 2011 when I survived a nightmare high cycle of 5 months! 

Being induced into a coma is an interesting treatment option I have never heard of for CH's.  Sincere good luck finding a doctor willing to do this for you.  If you do find a doc, please keep us posted as to how your CH cycle and induced coma interacted.

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

BlueDevil
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Australia
Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 3:08am

I doubt this will ever be an option. The risks of being put in an induced coma would generally steer doctors away from it. Also you would require an intensive care bed for weeks or months thereby takiing up a bed a critically ill patient may need. The cost of occupying an ICU bed for this length of time would be in the many tens of thousands (possibly in the hundreds of thousands).

It would also be a fair chunk of your life 'gone'. After being bed bound for weeks/months you would no doubt require physiotherapy to get your wasted muscles functioning correctly again.

Way too much down side for it to practical I am afraid.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 3:52am

Dunno the difference between coma, unconsciousness or simply passing out but over the years I've 'come to' after genuine K10s to find I've variously done a full cut and polish on my 4WD, scrubbed Den's kitchen top to bottom, and one night got brought home by police who found me pacing (naked) two miles from home.

Certain other 'coma-type' things have happened, also, but I'm too embarressed to admit them.

Induced coma?  Nah, not for me. I have problems enough with reality.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 4:46pm

I've been around this site for 14 yrs. now and I can say with almost certainty that this subject has never come up.  In fantasy land, I can see thinking it would be good to go to sleep for several months for the duration, but reality says absolutely NOT.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 3:49am

Why miss out on living life between the CHs?

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 9:12am

I did read of induced comas for those who had intractable, nonstop 24/7 trigeminal neuralgia. It was a medical book about treatments in the USA for various diseases. I certainly understand wanting to escape the pain, but as others have said, it's too high a price even to consider. blessings. lance

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #9 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 8:03pm

This was mentioned by my former neuro of 21 yrs. His thought was to enduce a coma for just a few days (3-4 days) "to see if maybe it would re-set something in the brain", but we never did do it.

The thought of enducing a coma for any long peroids of time was never considered by him or myself.

Sometimes, during the worst of times, I still want 'to be put out of my misery' .... for a few days anyhow.

Dr. Todd Rozen while at MHNI mentioned a young boy that had some kind of 24/7 "screaming Cluster attack". I was told that the only way to comfort to child was by them enducing a coma. The result was that the child died at some point while in the coma. Sad    Not good, but neither was his endless 24/7 suffering.

I4B

Edited for grammar
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2012 at 8:04pm by Imitrex4Breakfast »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!