Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
4 Round and it never gets easier..... (Read 911 times)
alaska1978
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

4 Round and it never gets easier.....
Aug 5th, 2012 at 1:39am

I had my first cluster when I was 14, I lived in Anchorage, Alaska.  At the time it wasn't diagnosed as cluster headaches and I can't even remember seeing a doctor for it even though my parents did have insurance.  I specifically remember my mother leaning in one day and asking me if I was doing drugs.  I was so mad at her but I guess I understand now.  They lasted about 6 weeks, pretty much daily, usually in the evening hours they came in the fall. 

Exactly 5 years to the month later, I got cluster number 2.  I did have insurance but again I think I went into the the ER a few times but didn't go see a Doctor for it.  I was living on my own and trying to not get fired from my job do to these headaches.  They again came every day, sometimes 2-3 times a day and again where more prominent at in the evening hours.  I still lived in Alaska and they lasted about 8 weeks. 

Exactly 5 years to the month later, they returned, now Im 24, and I am sure I have a brain tumor.  I start getting tested and screened and scanned and the final diagnosis, Cluster headaches.  I kept telling my self that I can endure this, I have done it twice before. I still lived in Anchorage, and they were again, onset in the evening hours or at night.  They lasted about 8 weeks.   I was prescribed caffergot and found that it did work for about 8 out of 10 headaches if taken as soon as I felt it coming on.   

When I turned 29 the whole year I was dreading September rolling around.  I knew that it was time for my headaches to come.  But no, nothing.  Then 30 and 31 and 32, I forgotten all about my little spells......

Then this summer, I am 33 and my family and I moved from Anchorage to Northern Idaho.  We wanted more heat, and milder winters.  We didn't want to be trapped in Alaska anymore.  So we get her in the middle of June.  And right off the bat I noticed that my outdoor allergies are out of control.  Around the second week in July I start getting sinus headaches.  Why I thought that I dont even know, I have never even had a sinus headache, but its so dry here and my nose seemed so stuffed up.  I go into an urgent care because I dont have a dr here and he tells me I have sinusitis.  OK, sure give me some antibiotics and let me be on my way. 

Two weeks in the headaches are still daily, sometimes twice a day, the antibiotic isn't working and so I go back for another round, and he also puts me on a steroid. I almost asked for some sort of pain reliever but didn't have a repore with the doctor and didn't want him to discredit my severity of these headaches.  So I start taking the steroid and the antibiotic last Monday.  Needless to say, no relief because on Tuesday I remember oh yeah, I have felt this pain before, I have done this before, amazing how 9 years makes you forget.  So I have an appointment with an ENT on 8/15.  I really have no choice but to wait that long.  I never did as much research as I have done this time.  My doctor was right on 9 years ago, I have cluster headaches.  Right down to the droopy eye lid.  At this point I am almost a month in, and my headaches are 1-3 times a day.  If I can shake them in the first 10 mins (which I can successfully do about 50 percent of the time with drinking loads of water and or coffee and cooling my self off) I am better until the next, if I can't they usually last 2-3 hours.  I do suffer more in the evenings and nights like before but I do get them in the early morning hours as well.  I am tired, and frustrated and scared. After battling one for 3 hours earlier I stumbled across this website, and just from reading the main page, I started balling. Finally someone who understands.  Who makes me feel like Im not some wuss who can't tolerate pain.  I am such a happy person and I am always trying to look at the bright side so for now my bright side is, at least I know I can get caffergot and will probably get some relief.  Two, is I am most likely about half way through my cycle and if they were gone for 9 years, maybe next time they will go away for ever, or at least 15 years!  Amazingly, I dont even get headaches normally.  Other then when I am sick and to advil and they are fine.  I am feeling more depressed and alone this time around, being so far away from everyone.  I hardly leave the house and my kids have been making a lot of there own meals cause Im afraid everything will trigger another headache.  I have noticed that water does help and after reading about it on this site, Im am definitely going to try, cant hurt right.  I have been trying to keep the coffee intake down cause I did get a slight rebound headache the other night after drinking almost two pots in one day. I knew it was a different headache because it was much milder and it was across the middle of my forehead.  Anyways, thats my story, I feel better knowing that Im not alone, but I swear, sometimes, I think I am going to die, my head it actually going to explode. 

So my "shadows" are a stuffy nose, just about 2 mins before and then the stabbing starts, it is in my right temple and eye.  I am a rocker, and a squeezer, although neither help.  I am also a cryer but we all know that doesn't help either.  I do prefer a dark room and the light does bother me especially sun light.  I start sweating profusely, and my eye lid swells almost immediately.  It is always on the same side, every single time I have had them.  My upper jaw radiates with pain also, although its more like its bouncing off my temple.  It is a sharp stabbing pain, and my eye does dialate and blood vessels in that eye start to redden.  My other eye is completely unaffected.  I think that my allergies did trigger this round, but that is just speculation.  I am going to ask to try cafergot again, and oxygen.  Sometimes I do start eating Advil and Tylenol but other times I don,t they seem to have no affect at all. 

Anyways, that's my story, and I wish I did have more people to talk to about this.  Nobody seems to understand.  Although with that being said my husband is very understanding and we first met before my second round when I was 19 and he was there when I was 24 but he feels so powerless when I am that sick.   And thank you to the creators of this page, I have gotten so much information and feel so much better for having found it!  Sadly I am only a few hours pain free at this moment and I know that most likely wont last much longer....goodnight for now. 

IP Logged

alaska1978
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: 4 Round and it never gets easier.....
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 3:30pm

I wanted to give a little bit of feedback from the water therepy.  I have been guzzling water since yesturday about 24 hours now.  I awokw right on cue last night at 1am with a headache and drank two more glasses of cold water and went right back to bed.  I slept until this morning pain free.  I resumed my water drinking every hour until noon, when another one started to come on.  It seemed weaker than normal but I started getting my cold compress, coffee, and water together to head up to my room.  I drank 3 more glasses of cold water and one cup of coffee, applied my cold compress and it was gone with in 5 mins.  Starting to think there may be something to this water thing!!!!   I hope so anyways.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 10:12pm

The water technique has helped many a CHead and there's even a button on the subject over on the top left of your screen (in case haven't seen it). Also consider guzzling down a Red Bull type sports drink at the first hint of a hit. Probably the caffiene/taurine mix but many are reporting great results.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

alaska1978
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 10:18pm

Do you think red bull or 5 hour energy would be more effective?  Because 5 hour energy doesn't have any caffine?  Also Im trying to keep my caffine under a pot a day. 

The water has worked to break three headaches all ready today!  Im starting to feel optimistic, yeah, I read the water x3 part on this website, that is where I got the idea of drinking so much more water.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 10:28pm

People are using various brands depending on price and taste but also check out the medications board for Batch's thread "123 DAYS PF". Lot of reading but worth the journey.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

alaska1978
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 3:51pm

Thanks, I still havent tried it but I have a 5 hour energy on standby, picked some up today.  First time I have left the house in a few days.   I am still doing the water thing, last night was my first night I slept 6 hours straight with out waking up.  Even though I am still so tired I feel like I could sleep for a week.  The water thing, I got 4 yesurday and they came on strong but with pounding water all were gone in the first 15 mins and then I have gotten two already today and my eye didn't droop immediatly, the pressure seemed slighly less and the where gone with in 10 mins.  God I am hoping beyond hope that water will be the cure.  To think that I dont have another month left is makeing me feel sooooo optimistic right now.  As I am sure everyone knows, I sometimes doubt that I can endure this round.  I am so ready for it to be over.  I cant wait to get back to living.  Thanks for the help, Im going to read some more posts.

IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 5:34pm

"Because 5 hour energy doesn't have any caffine? "

The bottles I have of 5-Hour Energy lists caffeine and tuarine. That's the 2 things to look for. I've used the 5-Hour Energy shots for a couple of months now and have had good results. It will kill a shadow in about 3 minutes and bring a Kip 5 down to a 2 in the same amount of time. Tastes like crap though, but it's only 1 ounce. I don't know if the drink can be absorbed through the lining of the mouth but it seems to work better if it is held in my mouth, swished around the pain side and puddled under my tongue for the first 60 seconds. Maybe it's just my imagination or hoping it'll work better that way.

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!