Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NEUROSTIMULATION: overview, 2012 (Read 639 times)
Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
NEUROSTIMULATION: overview, 2012
Jul 30th, 2012 at 8:25am

Lancet Neurol. 2012 Aug;11(8):708-19.
Advances and challenges in neurostimulation for headaches.
Magis D, Schoenen J.
SourceHeadache Research Unit, Department of Neurology, University of Liège, Belgium.

Abstract
Many people who suffer from primary headache (ie, headache without an identifiable cause) are resistant or intolerant to available drugs. During the past decade, central and peripheral neurostimulation procedures have been investigated in such individuals-up to now, about 1200 worldwide. Techniques used range from invasive methods such as deep brain stimulation of the posterior hypothalamus, to minimally invasive percutaneous electrode implantation used in occipital nerve stimulation, or non-invasive methods such as transcranial magnetic stimulation.

Although some of these procedures have been studied extensively, sham-controlled trials are sparse and THE PRECISE MODE OF ACTION OF SUCH STIMULATION REMAINS LARGELY UNKNOWN. NONETHELESS, OCCIPITAL NERVE STIMULATION AND DEEP BRAIN STIMULATION OF THE POSTERIOR HYPOTHALAMUS SEEM TO BE EFFECTIVE IN PEOPLE WITH CHRONIC CLUSTER HEADACHE, and occipital nerve stimulation is promising in chronic migraine. TRIAL DATA FOR OTHER TECHNIQUES ARE SCARCE, but external and minimally invasive approaches should be privileged in future studies.

Copyright © 2012 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

PMID:22814542[PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Re: NEUROSTIMULATION: overview, 2012
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 2:42am

Reports like these seem to lead to hope and promising things ahead, when in reality, it may have soley been written in hopes to snag that big R&D money grant for the new lab and researchers new Yacht.

Just my opinion

ie ( I was in e-mail contact with neurosurgeons from the MAYO clinic years ago when they very first did DBS surgery. They started with only 2 patients. Dr. Black wrote me back and said that neither patient had been doing very well at all and that one had developed an infection. Neither one was having a shortage of attacks. Weeks went on and the reports were the same. THEN, MONTHS LATER, the written papers came out on these two case studies and the writing said that both patients surgeries were considered a success )

Now, if it didn't help them and one of them got an infection, who got helped and how did it help them ??

I know they didn't want to try it on me because I was 'too difficult' of a case. They wanted A Symptomatic, strictly unilateral (Had never changed sides before) and only episodic cluster patients for their trial surgeries.

I still don't know what to believe about what they did. The doc said it wasn't helping at all but the written paperwork (conclusion) said it was a success. Could they have propped up the results for future grant money and further research and development ??

Things that make you go ...Hmmmmm ????

I4B !

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: NEUROSTIMULATION: overview, 2012
Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 9:00am

They ought to make you "hummm". That's why I keep posting such reports which are inconclusive, interim summaries of what is developing.

There is no conspiracy, simple the reality that complex medicine takes complex solutions--which don't emerge very quickly or easily.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!