Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Occipital Nerve Block (Read 2072 times)
wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Occipital Nerve Block
Jul 24th, 2012 at 2:53pm

Well, I went and had one. Mostly because my expensive neuro thought it was worth a try, and to be honest, I didn't want to tick him off by refusing again. So, I went to Mass General, waited for hours, and finally met with two "experts" who were absolutely amazed that I found relief using high flow O2, coupled with Monster. I won't say they didn't know much about Cluster Headaches, but I will say they hadn't learned much lately.

Anyway, the ONB (as all ya'll know) is a shot in the head. This one was "blind." The next one will be accompanied by an ultrasound. It stung a lot, and the back of my head was numb, and it took exactly 3 hours for an attack to hit. 3 hours!

Now here's the funny thing. Since that time, I have mostly slept through the night. The attacks are pretty much limited to waking hours. That's a change, a really welcome one, but puzzling to me. Could the ONB have instigated the change? The timing is conicidental, but I don't know if there is causation here.

Well, I'll take the sleep regardless. And I'll probably go for another one just to see what happens. Take care ya'll, and thanks for listening. God bless. lance

IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Re: Occipital Nerve Block
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 3:57pm

interesting are the attacks of the same intensity, and same length? i'm glad you are able to get some sleep now tho.

Only the strong survive!!!

IP Logged

Bonnie lee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 5:06pm

When i went to john hopkins the doctor mentioned the nerve blocks. I never took it any further. How are things going for you Now? Helping any?
I have been fortunate in the fact that Beasty doesnt visit me in the middle of the night. He visits me in the early evening. Sees me then and saves his visits for you at night i guess.
I am glad you have been getting some sleep.
I hope the nerve block has helped.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 8:19am

Thank you, ladies, for your concern. Lydia, I'm not sure and that's the problem. Still getting daily hits, but the time has shifted to later in the day and they are more like "mini-hits." Worser than shadows but not full blown Kip 8's. Like I said, I'll take it. It's kinda like the shot disrupted the beast, like when you kick over a fire ant nest and the scatter and then reform in a place nearby. Puzzling. God bless. lance

IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 10:04am

hmmmmm was it done at the hospital or in the doctors office. maybe the second go around with ultrasound will be better because they will not be Blind. keep us posted !

Only the strong survive!!!

IP Logged

metoo
CH.com Junior

ann arbor mi usa
Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 6:00am

Hey, Lance,

My experience with the occipital nerve injection was several years ago, but similar to yours.  I had several, spaced about a week apart.  No question in my mind (stop, don't say it) that the character of the cluster changed.  I report this only to add to the body of knowledge that exists here. I am convinced that, unlike abortives, this procedure was a front-loaded influence on the CH presentation.   

I am so darned confused about so many things regarding CH.  One thing is bubbling to the top of my algorithm chart:  there are a number of ways to interrupt the chain of contributors.  That's what I am currently reasonably, kinda certain of. 

Here's hoping the days are less bad for all of us.

TJ

#4 - Avoid annoying people who don't deserve it.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 9:21am

Hey there, TJ. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I agree completely with your description. I wonder if the change in character and presentation can be gradual, or if it's supposed to happen all at once. The change was significant enough that I will try it again. Who knows? PF days and nights to you and everyone here. God bless. lance

IP Logged

metoo
CH.com Junior

ann arbor mi usa
Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 10:02pm

You know, Lance, I often have to look to Brooke to get help recalling what I've been through...and that includes treatment.  Gads, I feel inadequate sometimes (often times), but I have kept away from the pain anesthesiologist for a while just to work through some of the newer CH.com tx suggestions.  The O2 is a godsend, thank you all.  I've added the D3 and calcium to my melatonin and K+.  One year, I stopped all OH- consumption.  Couldn't really see any difference, but who the heck knows when the clusters are episodic.  I've actually had a pretty good buzz going on (on occasion) and I can tell you that it doesn't necessarily trigger an event for me.  That's why I'm so interested in hearing from all you veterans. 

For instance, it's just odd to me that I have yet to find a sufferer who has bilateral events, although many complain of alternating attacks.  What's with that? 

As for the occipital nerve injections, I had anesthesia the first time.  Never after that.  Just hurt a bit, but I always drive myself, and even go back to the office afterwords.  I'll definitely do it again, as it helped change the events.  I had him try one injection into the infraorbital foramen (?) but that was not something I'd like to do again.  Creepy. 

I ramble.  Thanks for being around.  I've met some really good folks here.

TJ

#4 - Avoid annoying people who don't deserve it.

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 2:30am

I've had 17 bi-lateral ONB over the past many years. The very first block done at MHNI stopped all attacks for 17 days straight (when I was getting 3- 8 hits a day). All of the rest of the blocks failed miserably. I still had a bi-lateral ON Stim implant in March 2004 and it failed miserably too.

Hopefully, you'll have better luck !

I've heard that if an ON Block helps you, that you may be a candidate for a successful Occipital Nerve Stimulator. It sounds scarier than it really is. It's pretty non-invasive, in and out the same afternoon on outpatient basis.

Good Luck !

I4B !

IP Logged

Beth E
CH.com Junior

Thanks for understanding
CH.com!

Union City (Erie)  PA
Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 3:13pm

Hubby had two nerve blocks...nothing...."no more of that" he said.  He thinks it just angered the beast.

No longer Helpless now!

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #10 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 12:00am

I've had 2 ONB's both in 2008, 1st gave me 14 hrs, 2nd one 16 hrs. I've read, some folks get weeks to months. One Doctor told me if we have the ONB's at the start of cylce, it works better.?

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #11 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 7:32pm

1 thing to keep in mind, the ON blocks contain a mixture of meds that have steroids in it. Steroids are often helpful to many clusterheads in high doses. It could be just that the steroids alone eased up the attacks for a short peroid. <?> Just a thought. Glad you got some rest.

I4B

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!