Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hemochromatosis and CH (Read 1419 times)
Danflash
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Hemochromatosis and CH
Jul 23rd, 2012 at 7:02pm

Hello fellow sufferers and friends alike, I have been an episodic sufferer for over twelve years and have just entered one of my worst cycles in over five years (which always prompts me to ponder and be perplexed anew). Just wondering if any other sufferer has ever been diagnosed with hemochromatosis (an over-abundance of iron in the blood)? I have and thought it could stand to reason that heavy metals in the blood could conceivably be contributory to CH? The only treatment for it is blood-letting (donating blood) which is a good act in itself but which, if I'm in any way correct, could relieve or reduce the amount or intensity of an attack. Love to hear from you. Thanks. Dan

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Hemochromatosis and CH
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 8:18pm

Cluster is a neurological disorder. No reason to suspect an iron imbalance is involved.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Danflash
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 12:57am

Neurological simply means "having to do with the nervous system" - clusters themselves are still a vascular anomaly with an abnormality of the hypothalamus being the generally accepted theory. The hypothalamus, among many other things, is responsible for neurally transmitted information arising in particular from the heart, the stomach, and the reproductive system; autonomic inputs; blood-borne stimuli. High iron levels in the blood has the potential to alter the information being neurally transmitted. With that in mind there is no reason NOT to suspect anything at all when it comes to clusters and, in this regard, certainly no reason to completely discount my enquiry - but thanks Bob; you obviously have insight that has escaped many an expert.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 11:47pm

I'd really never thought about it until you brought it up, Dan, but I well remember things easing up straight after my three-monthly blood donations. Oddly, my three-weekly plasma donations made no difference either way.

(For the record, I'm VB+)

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 7:12am

Brian, when you donate plasma, aren't you keeping your red blood cells which have the iron in them? (I have no idea, I forgot everything from health class.)

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 8:12pm

You're likely correct, AppleNut, presuming there's anything to the theory at all and it's not just happy coincidence.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!