Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A little drug that needs a bit more attention (Read 1097 times)
Wayne
CH.com Old Timer

RedBull Rules!!

Christchurch, New Zealand|
A little drug that needs a bit more attention
Jul 18th, 2012 at 2:41am

Gidday Folks

I think it would be worthwhile me sharing some of my experiences with this beast, maybe they will help someone.

A bit of background. I unwillingly joined this elite club back in 2005 but was diagnosed officially in 2007 after becoming quite suicidal, I just figured that if this was what my life was going to be like I didn't want any part of it. I was quite sure that I was dying in anycase, it just wasn't possible for something to be so sore and not life threatening.
When I was diagnosed the neuro put me on a drug called Migril (contains Ergotomine and caffiene) for two weeks and Lithium Carbonate as chronic medication (forever). Hey presto and I had my life back! I can still remember the shear joy of going to sleep that night and only waking up the next morning.

As these things do the Lithiums effectiveness wore off and the beast came back but by that time I had found this site and, thanks to the advice here was much better equipped to tackle him head on. I found a good GP who would work with me and found that I am very receptive to Verapamil, so since then I have been largely ok. I do get sporadic breakthroughs and seem to have one high cycle which used to happen around mid summer, then I include Lithium in the daily dose and between the two of them they usually deal quite effectively with the clusters.

Back in South Africa I was quite convinced that the cycles were related to heat, when I moved to New Zealand, a much milder climate, they just about disapeared, I had two very light hits just after arriving here and then nothing for months. I cut the lithium, cut back the Verap to 160mg/day from 480 and was ever so happy. Of course this was not to last and 3 weeks ago, mid winter, back they came. No worries, I know what to do so am ramping everything up again and staying away from beer in the mean time.

This brings me to the main point behind this post and that is using Ergotimine as a prophylactic. Whenever I am ramping up on the stalwarts I use Ergot as a temporary preventative. I am now on 480 mg Verap a day that I take in three doses of 160mg, 800mg Lithium carbonate taken 400mg morning and 400mg night time and 1 mg ergotomine taken in the evening. I do this because I know that if the beast comes to visit 7pm or around there is his favoured time. If I take the Ergotomine about an hour before I expect an attack it is 99% effective in keeping it away. I also take a melatonin capsule at bed time.

I know that there are complications with using Ergot long term so I try to limit it to two weeks maximum and it really has been a life saver for me. It doesn't work very well as an abortive though because it just takes too long to react.

Cheers,

Wayne

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Re: A little drug that needs a bit more attention
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 6:26am

I use DHE (DihydroERGOTamine) aka DHE45 IM injections, 1mg IM shot twice daily to try and PREVENT attacks. IT usually works but is not 100% effective at aborting or preventing attacks, but it's about as close as I can get to try to prevent the beast from showing up so rudely!

Most long-time clusterheads here at CH.com have heard of ERGOT meds. Cluster "BUSTING" is an ERGOT 'med' also.

Good Luck to you and be careful with those meds. Remember that you're not supposed to use ERGOT meds in any form with any other Triptan drugs within 24 hours of one another. BE safe, if you're not sure, ask your doctor or pharmacist questions.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2012 at 9:23am

I'm glad it works for you, Wayne. Way back in '87 when I was diagnosed with CHs, the doc put me on verapamil and cafergot. It seemed to work for awhile but eventually it lost all effectiveness. All in all, I was on ergots for about 20 years, with decreasing effectiveness. Seems to be the nature of the beast. May you find better results. blessings. lance

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 9:44pm

Seems a million years ago now but I used to get beaut results using ergotomines as a preventative. Regreattably an incompetent neuro caused me to overdose seriously which I really can't reccommend.

Any funny feelings in your hands, feet, ankles etc are worth discussing with medical proffessionals.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!