Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is it possible to abort every attack? (Read 2336 times)
retrovertigo
CH.com Junior

If I'm here I'm likely
in cycle

x0|storrs|USA||0|0|CT,Connecticut
Is it possible to abort every attack?
Jul 16th, 2012 at 9:09pm

Back to whine cause I'm in cycle. I've had good success aborting about 75% of hits with sumatriptan nasal but am having a lot more hits. I've had a month long cycle every two years on average for the last 30 plus years. when i look back at how they've played out i almost always had the same number of really bad HA's per cycle.

Now that I'm using triptans and energy drinks i feel like shit between the HA's as well.(maybe the lack of sleep is affecting me more now.) I'm thinking about going back to the "man up" approach. My script for imitrex ran out and the doc re-upped it but my insurance company wouldn't pay for it. I could have afforded the $215.00 for six more sprays but the doctor said the ins. co. thinks i'm overusing and getting rebound headaches anyway. I 'm not sure i can argue that. I should be winding down my cycle and I can get the imitrex paid for on wednesday. But i also managed to abort a headache just with extreme cold on my forehead and extreme heat on the back of my neck. I need to try O2, but ins. co. won't help with that at all. Would o2 have a better success rate with no rebounds?

Why?

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Re: Is it possible to abort every attack?
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 11:56pm

o2 --- No rebounds, good success rates

IP Logged

retrovertigo
CH.com Junior

If I'm here I'm likely
in cycle

x0|storrs|USA||0|0|CT,Connecticut
Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 6:01am

2nd night of 'manning up' didn't work out too well. it did remind me that even when the imitrex doesn't abort an attack it still takes a little edge off. the 10's i thought i was having were really 9's. last night was multiple 10's. been off imitrex for 3 days so i don't think there is any rebound. i think my head is just not right.

bought a regulator. called a neuro office. my cycle will probably be done before i can get any help but i can't count on my lengthy remission periods to bail me out of this. this cycle is kicking my ass.

Why?

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 9:36am

Are you using preventive med? If not, why not.

Timing on using an abortive is crucial. Don't want to delay usin in hopes it will resolve or waiting to see if a full bore attack developes.

Explore trying this med as an abortive. Much less $; rapid on set. Only disadvantage is whether you would have to use more than aboutg 1x/day. Print and discuss with your doc. It has been a 100% success for several of us; pill, so easy to carry/take.
===
Headache 2001 Sep;41(8):813-6 

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.
Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. THE INITIAL OLANZAPINE DOSE WAS 5 MG, AND THE DOSE WAS INCREASED TO 10 MG IF THERE WAS NO PAIN RELIEF. THE DOSAGE WAS DECREASED TO 2.5 MG IF THE 5-MG DOSE WAS EFFECTIVE BUT CAUSED ADVERSE EFFECTS. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and TWO PATIENTS BECAME HEADACHE-FREE AFTER TAKING THE DRUG. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. IT ALLEVIATES PAIN QUICKLY AND HAS A CONSISTENT RESPONSE ACROSS MULTIPLE TREATED ATTACKS. IT APPEARS TO WORK IN BOTH EPISODIC AND CHRONIC CLUSTER HEADACHE.

PMID 11576207 PubMed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.
=====
Since this abstract was first posted Zyprexa has appeared in some lists of recommended meds for CH. [BJ]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

TJMBeav
CH.com Junior

Longview, WA USA
Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 10:34am

My two cents - again - is the neither the nasal or the pill worked worth a dang for me.  The only 100% abortive that works for me is the injection.

Also - for me, I have decided that the triptan does not casue rebounds. (have done the "man up" test twice for confirmation). If I have essentially back to back headaches it just means the trex 1/2 life was over and another dose was needed - or I was going to get another hit anyway.  Also - I have used above the 2/24 hr max with no side effect other than an aborted CH.  My strategy now is - get as many injectables as I can stocked up, went with the pred taper and am taking verapamil for preventative.  Knock on wood, but going on two weeks without a hit.  Will buy another 24 injections in a month or so, and then another 24 a month or so later.   I will NEVER let myself run out again.  Even though the memory of this cycle is starting to fade - after my own experience and reading the experience of those on this board - I know the damn beast will come back someday.  I will be ready.

Get the script for the injections.  When the cycle stops fill as many as your insurance company will allow you to and load up.  And for gosh sake - at least give the pred taper and verapamil a try.

Good luck

Go Beavs

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 8:20pm

After your cycle, keep getting the monthly 4 shots that they will pay for. Stock em up.

Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2012 at 7:48am

Get the O2...do not pass go, do not collect $200. Just do it. You need as many abortives in your arsenal as possible. And why no preventative? blessings. lance

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 10:21pm

Stocking up on abortives that work is an essential part of being able to fight the beast !!

IP Logged

metoo
CH.com Junior

ann arbor mi usa
Reply #8 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 9:39pm

I feel for you.  I, too, have played the game with the injectables.  One thing I did learn here was how to split the doses.  When I couldn't get 4mg doses, I got the 6mg ones and thought it was over medicating to shoot the additional 2mg if the 4 was working well.  Then someone here (and thank you again) wrote something about getting syringes and finding the lowest effective dosing.  I am surprised that I can use 2mg with great success most of the time.  Coupled with the O2 clout, I am now stockpiling.  Helps me sleep better at night.  Just a little CH humor there.

#4 - Avoid annoying people who don't deserve it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!