Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How bad is mixing triptans? (Read 2511 times)
diefaster
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Anchorage, AK
How bad is mixing triptans?
Jul 16th, 2012 at 9:09pm

I've read a little about not taking one triptan too close to another, but just how close is too close?  From what I've read, the magic number seems to be 24 hours.  But realistically, if I took a Maxalt MLT, how long until I would be able to use an Imitrex injector? 

And how harmful exactly is harmful?  I've never used them within a week of each other, so I've never really experienced anything, just curious is all.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: How bad is mixing triptans?
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 9:19pm

It should only be done under a doctor's direct supervision.

Many here have said it in absolute terms, so I talked to my former neuro about it. He ordered a cardio work-up for me, and he was convinced that my ticker was strong enough to use one as a preventative (Amerge) and another as an abortive (Maxalt). Did that for an entire month straight, and I'm still here.

Talk to your doc about it. Some won't even consider the possibility. And do NOT do it on your own.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 11:39pm

A few yrs ago I was taking Frova (triptan) as a prevent, also had Zomig MLT as an abort with the 24hr instruction. 9 hrs after taking a Frova I got hit hard and took a Zomig.

Within an hour my heart rate went thru the roof and severe anxiety made me think a stroke was coming, like I was coming out of my skin. Should've went to the ER but I couldn't make the decision to do so. After this I realized how lucky I was.

6 hrs later I was OK. I think desparation sometimes throws caution out the door.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 11:47pm

(1) They say 24 hours ... but I do what I gotta do. (Ask your doctor)

(2) Harmful could mean death ... or a 'cardiac event'

I4B

IP Logged

Evan O
CH.com Junior

Brooklyn, New York
Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:03am

I used to alternate between Migranal, Imitrex and Relpax on a daily basis. While Migranal is DHE, "they" say that shouldnt be used within 24 hrs of taking a triptan as well.

Anyway, Im still alive. Psychotic, but still alive  Grin

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

x0|New York|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 12:12pm

I've used both Imitrex inject and nasal in same day (multiple times during bad cycle.) and I've used Zomig nasal and imitrex nasal/inject within the same 24 hour period -- no harmful effects.  That said, I took my chances because that's all I had at the time, and there have been numerous times I've had 1 left of 1 kind and more of another and had to abort more than once in a day.

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #6 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 6:36am

I try to prevent attacks with daily DHE IM injections (1mg twelve hours apart from each other), but if a bad attack hits anyways, I will use an Imitrex injection, even if it's only been a few hours.

But, This is NOT recommended and the consequences can be fatal.

I4B

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!