Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello (Read 1048 times)
lordmogg
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Hello
Jul 16th, 2012 at 11:01am

HI,

New to the site, first time poster.

Was “Diagnosed“  last year with Cluster by the Doctor after 4 months of the worse seemingly perpetual headache ive ever had. 

After a few weeks I went to the quacks, where by the next 3 months consisted of various Beta Blockers, Steroids and all forms of pain killers proscribed.

Ultimately it stopped whether the concoction helped or it naturally ran its course I don’t know.

I have regular attacks still over the past year but nothing of the same length. However signs are showing that im due another big episode and so i went to the doctors again to pre empt. The doctor this time looked like he was 12 years old and proceeded to tell me about the oxygen treatment. I’m having it delivered tomorrow.

I looked on the company’s website and saw a link for this site. Frankly I don’t know if I should be pleased or devastated that there are “ others like me “.

So this s just a short message really to say hi, thanks for whoever put this together. Solidarity is always good for the soul. Especially if you’re like me and I’m sure there are others who have spent the past year thinking they are going mad and when all the tests and scans and pills don’t show anything or work. Being able to look at someone without them thinking “ Is he making that up?! “

But mostly I will tell my wife about this site. The desperation on her face on her trying to help  is sometimes unbearable. I don’t want to “ turn into another person “ but I do and if she can get some support through looking through this site then for me its all worth it.

Cheers

Lm

36 years old, married, father of two. Bournemouth. England.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Hello
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 1:19pm

Get involved with you excellent support group:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Sadly, your comments about local docs are too common in messages from GB--a reason to explore the support grouop.

But, even with the bes docs, this is a disorder which requires that you understand its nature, how it changes over time, various treatments. Explore the buttons, print the PDF file, below, explore:

A couple of sites which are worth your attention: medical literature, films, plus the expected information
about CH.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
------

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Search under "cluster headache"

=====
As you have specific questions, ask. There is a deep well of experience and knowledge here.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 16 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 4:11pm

Welcome to the board Lord Mogg! Bob has started you out with some great advice. I suspect more peeps from ypour side of the pond will pipe in with some more area specific advice for you. I’ve had CH for 34 years, they haven’t killed me yet. You need an organized approach to managing them so they don’t manage your life. I use a 3 pronged approach, many use a similar approach:

1: A good prevent med. A med I take daily, while on cycle, to reduce the number and intensity of my attacks. I use lithium, it blocks 60-70% of my attack. Verapamil is the most common first line prevent, topomax also has a loyal following. Some have to combine lithium and verapamil together to get relief.

2: A transitional med. Most prevents will take up to 2 weeks to become effective. I go on a prednisone taper, from 80 mg to zero over a two week period to give me a break while my prevent builds up. Prednisone will provide up to 100% relief for many CH’ers but is harsh on the system and should only be used for short periods of time.

3: An abortive therapy, the attack starts, now what? Oxygen should be your first line abortive. Breathing pure 02 will abort an attack for me in less then 10 minutes, that’s completely pain free. Read this link as it must be used correctly or it will not work

Imitrex nasal spray and injectables are very effective abortives. I use the injectables, they’re expensive, and I rarely use them, mostly just when I get caught away from the oxygen. The pill form generally works too slow to be effective for CH’ers.

Go to the medications section of this board and read the post " Anti-Inflammatory Regimen and Survey” It’s a vitamin/mineral/fish oil supplement, all over the counter stuff, that’s providing a lot of relief for people who have tried it, it’s healthy for you even without CH!

For now, get some energy drinks. Rock Star, Monster, any containing the combo of caffeine and taurine, chug it down as fast as you can when you feel an attack starting. Many can abort or at least really reduce an attack using these.

Finally, visit our sister board for “alternative” treatment methods outside of mainstream medicine. As you’ll see from all the success stories on this board, there is something to it.

clusterbusters.com

Read everything you can on this board, if you are a CH’er, knowledge is your best ally. We’ll help you all we can.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

lordmogg
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 4:11am

Thanks guys, ive got some research and reading to do. Thanks all again for organising such a site. Tis a balm.

Lm

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 2:34pm

Bournemouth!  One of my favorite stomping grounds along with Poole in the South of the UK.  I used to do some work for your MOD at Blandford Camp and stayed at a great little bed & breakfast inn there in Blandford Forum.  As soon as we had a day off, we hit the road for Bournemouth...  Great beaches and the local watering holes served wonderfully prepared seafood and generously sized libations. What a hoot!

Welcome to CH.com.  You've come to the right place.  Members bring thousands of years experience with their cluster headaches and that makes for some excellent posts on what works and what doesn't when it comes to controlling this disorder.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

lordmogg
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 4:22am

Well Bournemouth is usually called " Sunny Bournemouth " but for the past 2 months its pee'd it down constantly.

I think its because the Government has made a pact with the devil to make it rain a few months worth of rain nw so that when the Olympics arrive everyone will have sunny days.

Glad you enjoyed your visits here.

Cant tell anyone if the Oxygen works or not seeing as the chap who was to deliver it never turned up. Perhaps he got waylaid at the beach.

Lm

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2012 at 8:43am

About the O2...it works best when accompanied by a nonrebreather mask (no holes and no open valves), but is nearly useless if it comes with a nasal canula. Also, while some have found relief at 15lpm, most of us find 25lpm more effective. You may need to research the internet to find that regulator. Finally, the quicker you use it to abort an attack, the more effective it is. You're trying to hyperventilate, so use the best breathing techniques for that purpose. You will love how well and quickly it works. God bless. lance

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!