Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Why Unilateral? (Read 4327 times)
metoo
CH.com Junior

ann arbor mi usa
Why Unilateral?
Jul 13th, 2012 at 11:02pm

It seems that the overwhelming majority of CH sufferers complain on one-sided events.  In trying to connect a dot or two, I keep running into a nagging question, namely:

If the hypothalamus is intimately involved in the CH cycle (and it sure seems to be), then what mechanism might explain the unilateral nature of the disorder?

Anybody able to help me out with this?  Thanks,

TJ

#4 - Avoid annoying people who don't deserve it.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Re: Why Unilateral?
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2012 at 12:40am

This is as puzzling as the fact that whether we are right handed or left, has no relation to our pain side.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

metoo
CH.com Junior

ann arbor mi usa
Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2012 at 8:22am

Thanks for the feedback.  Your 'handedness' comment caught me off-guard.  I did not know this....and hadn't even considered it.  It is for this reason that I have decided to enlist the help of CHers to help raise Qs in a 'brainstorming' sort of way to revisit the origin issue(s).  I'm perfectly willing to suffer the "we've been through all of this before...with minds greater than yours" comments that most likely will come.  Still, as one of the 'new guys' (only a few years and a dozen or so clusters), I may speak for others who have not yet the experience of so many like yourself. 

In a broadbrushed concept, it seems that human disorders fall broadly into one of a couple of categories:  deficits or disorders (though I've got to make those categories crisper).  Some people are deficient in, say, nutrients.  That may lead to something like nervous system disorders.  It seems logical that, at some point, the deficiency, even if corrected, will not provide the outcome that it may have produced earlier in the disorder.  In other people, they may have the misfortune of having been born without a critical component, leading to incomplete, altered, or misguided function.  Still others may suffer from trauma induced defects.  This may account for why CHers, including me, focus heavily on one approach over another. 

I have not seen a group of sufferers more willing to empathize and connect with other sufferers than CH sufferers and advocates.  I am abundantly thankful for you all, most of all...my spouse. 

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2012 at 9:48am

I'm one who believes we should never stop poking and asking to try and find that one common "factor." Check out a post in the meds section, "123 pain free days and I think I know why." Batch is like you, always poking and looking, and started a theory about Vitamin D-3 deficiencies, and also questioned the effect your arterial PH levels have on CH. This has morphed into the "Batch Regimen" that's providing a LOT of relief to a lot of people.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Billie
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Maryland
Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2012 at 2:36pm

I experience them on both sides; 2 months out of the year on one side and then 2 months out of the year on another, then 1 year of remission.  I've had a rare time or two where during one of those 2 months it switched sides with each headache through the whole cycle.  Very crazy how they follow such patterns.

http://www.facebook.com/smithbilliejoe?ref=tn_tnmn  
IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2012 at 8:55pm

Hey Family,

Always on the left side. I am right handed.

Safe at home...
Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

metoo
CH.com Junior

ann arbor mi usa
Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2012 at 10:58pm

OK, thanks all.  I'll read more.  Thanks for the direction, Joe.  Batch may be on to something in the D.  Took almost forever, but conventional medicine is looking into the link between inflammation and disease/disorders.  It's not so surprising, really.  Folks have been focused on anti-inflammatory meds and remedies for a long, long time.  Now there is intellectual curiosity about the way the body's response to inflammation may impact other systems.  Lots of interest in blood vessels and the inflammatory impact. 

So, right or left handed, sounds as if there isn't much correlation there. 

Thanks again.  Quieter days to all.

TJ

IP Logged

metoo
CH.com Junior

ann arbor mi usa
Reply #7 - Jul 14th, 2012 at 11:02pm

Billie wrote on Jul 14th, 2012 at 2:36pm:
I experience them on both sides; 2 months out of the year on one side and then 2 months out of the year on another, then 1 year of remission.  I've had a rare time or two where during one of those 2 months it switched sides with each headache through the whole cycle.  Very crazy how they follow such patterns. 

Interesting.  I don't recall reading any other such scenarios.  Must drive you crazy.  I am in my first episode of back-to-back clusters, with only one week between.  Typically 9-14 months.  Take care,

TJ

IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #8 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 10:26am

mine switch sides all the time never in the same day or during. My clusters are kind of strange i will have have them for about 3 weeks straight they will be on the right side for about 2 weeks switch to the left side for a week then go in to remission for about 3-4 days then start all over again.

Only the strong survive!!!

IP Logged

metoo
CH.com Junior

ann arbor mi usa
Reply #9 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 10:02pm

lydia nichole wrote on Jul 16th, 2012 at 10:26am:
mine switch sides all the time never in the same day or during. My clusters are kind of strange i will have have them for about 3 weeks straight they will be on the right side for about 2 weeks switch to the left side for a week then go in to remission for about 3-4 days then start all over again.

Gads, so much to process.  I'm re-reading some physiology and finding that it's as confusing as it was the first time.  I really appreciate the feedback, as it stimulates my thinking in many ways that I haven't thought of.  I'm still trying to figure out why the darned thing is unilateral.  The fact that it switches sides in so many of us just makes me more curious.  Here's to a long refractory period!  Take care,
TJ

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #10 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 6:38am

Always on the left, any kind of headache I've ever gotten, it was on the left above my eye.  When I was younger, I thought I must have a tumor because it's always in that same spot.  Now I'm older and I know better, but I'm still tempted to ask if they can just "you know know, take that part of my brain out".  And I'm right-handed.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #11 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 7:53am

I believe Doc Goadsby's research showed the deformity of the hypothalamus (the extra bundle of nerve fibers) to be on the back of the hypo and on the same side as the clusters.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

-dvb-
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

New Jersey
Reply #12 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 11:59am

coach_bill wrote on Jul 14th, 2012 at 8:55pm:
Hey Family,

Always on the left side. I am right handed.

Safe at home...
Coach Bill

Same here...

IP Logged

Beth E
CH.com Junior

Thanks for understanding
CH.com!

Union City (Erie)  PA
Reply #13 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 2:32pm

My CHer....right handed right side....always...17 years, last 4 chronic

No longer Helpless now!

IP Logged

metoo
CH.com Junior

ann arbor mi usa
Reply #14 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 7:34pm

Bob P wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 7:53am:
I believe Doc Goadsby's research showed the deformity of the hypothalamus (the extra bundle of nerve fibers) to be on the back of the hypo and on the same side as the clusters.

Thanks, Bob,

I will definitely look into this work.  I am new around here and haven't seen all of this site.  It's a bit akin to a mansion.  Just when I get 'wowed', I round a corner and get impressed again. 

TJ

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #15 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 7:29am

Here ya go:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

metoo
CH.com Junior

ann arbor mi usa
Reply #16 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 9:30pm

I am grateful for the link.  Quite plausible.  Are you aware of other follow-up studies (this one was 13 years ago)?  I am beginning to be less bashful about asking, even though I'm so old that we were always chided to do our own work.  Gads, remember going to the library and using a card catalog?  My take-away statement?

"This complete correlation of functional and structural abnormality is striking."

Indeed.

IP Logged

metoo
CH.com Junior

ann arbor mi usa
Reply #17 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 9:41pm

OK, gang, I still can't find a follow-up study on this significant observation by Dr. Goadsby.  I am not technologically savvy, but something ought to show up.  Anybody?

This extra gray matter sort of reminds me of a cheloid.  Still, it doesn't explain the alternating presentation that some show. Hmmm.....so much to learn.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #18 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 10:41pm

Check out the link below. At the end is the PET scan images.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

metoo
CH.com Junior

ann arbor mi usa
Reply #19 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 5:57am

Has anyone ever had bilateral CHs?

IP Logged

snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
Reply #20 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 7:06pm

My ch's are always the same (tho the actual time periods aren't certain). They begin on the left side until they reach about 8.... but as the frequency and intensity picks up they move to the right side and go to the steady 10's and 9's. Then, just as in the beginning, they move back to the left and they begin to taper over a period of weeks back down to the 7,6,5, etc. until the cycle is, at last, over. It is so predictable that I keep watch for a "left side" just so I know my cycle is winding down. It wasn't always like this, but has been for the last ten years I'd say. I still ain't even got to the right side yet in my current cycle. Bummer

IP Logged

metoo
CH.com Junior

ann arbor mi usa
Reply #21 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 10:20pm

Well, this would appear to be a less common presentation.  Begin one side, switch to the other, then return to the original side for the wind-down.  THAT is a curious finding (to me).

I know that our findings are, by definition, anecdotal.  Still, I cannot think that because of that, the findings are not helpful.  Thanks for the reply.  I'm actually pondering something and these inputs help me. 

I'll be keeping fingers crossed that you have the left side show up soon.

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #22 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 11:50pm

12 years episodic and right sided only. One night (Oct 2000) a bi-lateral cluster. From then on, left sided and chronic with only a very rare right sided attack. Go figure ?? No ryme or reason

I4B

IP Logged

metoo
CH.com Junior

ann arbor mi usa
Reply #23 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 11:21am

Imitrex4Breakfast wrote on Aug 4th, 2012 at 11:50pm:
12 years episodic and right sided only. One night (Oct 2000) a bi-lateral cluster. From then on, left sided and chronic with only a very rare right sided attack. Go figure ?? No ryme or reason

I4B

Hey, I4B.  This is a significant event that you recall.  I wish I knew what the heck the significance is, but I find it so interesting that I wrote it on my "super special findings log".  My guess is that each of us has spent at least some time trying to make sense of the bugger.  So many similarities, yet so many variations.  Of all the info that I've learned from the sources that I've been able to locate, this one thing seems most certain:  there is a preponderance of evidence (anecdotal as it may be) that there is a vascular involvement in CH. 

Profound, huh? 

Now, why would your beast have treated you the way it did?  Take care,

TJ

IP Logged

librarygirl
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #24 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 4:57pm

Hello. New here, new to CH diagnosis, not new to the headaches.

Just thought I'd share mine- always left side, always. I'm right handed. I've also always experienced ear aches/infections in my left ear and sinus stuff is worse on the left.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!