Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Insurance coverage for shots? (Read 3055 times)
Billie
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Maryland
Insurance coverage for shots?
Jul 13th, 2012 at 12:07pm

For those of you who use Imitrex injections or another triptan injection, does your insurance cover these?  I asked my neurologist about a prescription for backup purposes and so that I can leave the house without lugging around the oxygen, and she told me "insurance usually does not cover them," and that was that.  She mentioned to me that some triptans come in sublingual form, and I was wondering if any of you have had success with that form.  She also told me that insurance usually doesn't cover that either, but I'm just gathering some advice before I actually call my insurance company and ask about specific medications. 

Thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/smithbilliejoe?ref=tn_tnmn  
IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Re: Insurance coverage for shots?
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 12:22pm

It all depends on your insurance. You will not know unless you call and ask. My covers everything 60% I pay 40% a lot of the medications they prescribe me require pre-authorizations as well. I have anthem. But like i said it depends on your Policy, and Insurance company. I would just call and ask them.

Only the strong survive!!!

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 12:25pm

What a crock of shit.  I've never heard of a Doctor advising a patient about insurance coverage.  Call the customer service rep for your ins. provider.

Potter

IP Logged

Billie
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Maryland
Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 12:44pm

They do it all the time in there, it seems...  Same thing when I asked for oxygen.  Had to explore options myself and then beg for a prescription.  You would think they would be happy I am not someone coming in asking for narcotics and have someone from their office look into these things, like most doctors do, but it's always just "insurance usually doesn't cover that," and that's the end of it. 

I do plan to call my insurance and ask though.

IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 12:51pm

what kind of shots did the prescribe you? Imitrex or Sumavel Dosepro?

IP Logged

Billie
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Maryland
Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 1:24pm

None whatsoever, left empty handed.  They could have even told me to call my insurance myself and ask about this medication or that medication, but I didn't even get that much out of them.

IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 1:25pm

You need a new Neurologist.

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 8:23pm

My Imitrex and/or Samuvella DosePro injections (and DHE injections) are fully covered by my insurance company. They are limited to 8 Imitrex injections per month (Generic form-Sumatriptan injections), Sumavella DosePro is also limited to the same amount. However, the DHE injections are alos covered and I recived 60 injections per month (SYRINGES NOT INCLUDED and cost about $25 per month)

If the insurance company says "NO, not covered) at first, your doctor should write a "PA" letter explaining to them that YOU REQUIRE this medication and they should cover it. An insurance company in the states are techincally by law required to cover what your doctor prescribes or they are "Practicing medicine without a license" and on a patient they've probably NEVER met before. They MUST cover it and your doctor is THE KEY to getting this for you.

Also, you may want to try the GLAXCO PATIENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM that will help (or GIVE YOU) Imitrex or Sumavella every month ... but again, YOUR DOCTOR IS KEY TO MAKING THIS HAPPEN!!) You can just ask you doctor or better yet, contact GLAXCO WELCOME yourself and they will send the paper work needed for your doctors statement and signature. They MUST also provide a WRITTEN reason for any and all denials.

And for the last time ... YOUR DOCTOR HOLD THE KEY !!

Good Luck !!

I4B !!

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 9:59pm

Imitrex4Breakfast wrote on Jul 13th, 2012 at 8:23pm:
And for the last time ... YOUR DOCTOR HOLD THE KEY !!

And like so much with CH, you need to push to get what you need to get the treatment you require.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 10:03pm

Caution: Your Doctor obviously doesn't want to go the 1st mile let alone the extra mile. Did she diagnose you with CH? CH is quite rare and most Doc's, Neuro's included know very little, especially how severe they are.

Depending on any Dr. to know what is required for CH is a common mistake. Educating yourself is in your best interest. My Neuro's staff will call the insurance when there's a question.

Like the others have said, call your insurance, you may be suprised. This Dr. works for you so demand good treatment for what is sometimes called "suicide headaches". The pain of CH doesn't wait.

Don
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2012 at 10:15pm by Skyhawk5 »  

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Billie
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Maryland
Reply #10 - Jul 14th, 2012 at 6:04am

Thanks so much guys.  Yes, my neurologist diagnosed me with cluster headaches.  When I first started going there years ago, I saw a different neurologist and really liked him because he had everything planned out and told me what we were going to do if this or that didn't work, but he retired.   Sad  Now, I see another doctor who works in the same building and her nurse practitioner on followup appointments. 

I plan on getting a new neurologist because I am unhappy with them for this reason and the fact that when I need refills on my medications they aren't sending them to the right pharmacy, and after numerous calls from me and my pharmacy they still can't get it right.  Needless to say, I've been out of Lamictal for 3 weeks now because of this problem. 

I will definitely take your advice though on calling around.  I have realized that if I want anything done, I have to push them.

IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #11 - Jul 15th, 2012 at 12:21pm

Where in MD are you. My Neurologist is great he is on OUCH.com. Neurology & headache treatment center. It's in Alexandria VA. Don't no how far away or if your willing to travel but if you tell them you suffer from clusters they will try there best to get you in quickly.

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #12 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 7:28am

I've never, in over 30 years, had any insurance coverage for imitrex declined.

Restricted but never declined.
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2012 at 7:29am by seaworthy »  

IP Logged

TJMBeav
CH.com Junior

Longview, WA USA
Reply #13 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 9:20am

This is why I hate the whole concept of insurance.  Can you imagine having to have insurance to buy a car - and they say they cover GM cars, but not Ford.  What a crock.

I tell my doctor not to worry about the insurance - give me the 'script and it's my business to worry about the insurance.  Not like the doc has to worry about getting paid for Gods sake.  Anyway - get the script and then shop around.  I understand the cost issue - but getting a script on paper at least gives you options to buy it yourself where ever you want/can.

I strongly believe that health insurance is the biggest waste in the whole health care industry and wish we could shop for treatment just like we shop for food.  I pay $12K a year plus the first $6K in spending before I get any help with coverage.  Give me an old fashioned catostrophic coverage at a fifth the cost and I will cover the rest.  Then you would see doctors advertising, service improving and costs dropping.

Off the soap box - thanks for letting me rant.

Go Beavs

IP Logged

Billie
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Maryland
Reply #14 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 7:07pm

I am from Washington County, Lydia.  Hubby says it would take about 1-1/2 hours to get there.  What's your doctor's name?  Will explore this option, as I have had no luck so far in this department. 

From what I am reading on here and other places, most people have no trouble with their insurance covering these, just restricting them.  I don't understand why they would tell me that, really makes me mad.  Thanks for all your advice.  Will definitely explore my options.

IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #15 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 12:31am

Dr. Stuart Stark. He is great. Every appointment he has spent over a hour with me. The wait is a little long but worth the time he spends with you and the attention his staff gives.

IP Logged

Billie
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Maryland
Reply #16 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 12:17pm

Thanks so much, Lydia.  I will look into him.  There is another one on OUCH from Frederick who would be closer, but I like actually hearing feedback from other people because my journey in finding a good neuro has been a nightmare.  Plus, my husband travels around that area all the time for work and knows it well, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind taking me down when I needed to go.   Smiley

IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #17 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 12:55pm

No Problem. He is great when i first called they told me it was a 3 month wait. ( pretty typical with Neurologist tho for new patients ) but then they asked what was going on i told them i suffered from clusters and was getting hit every day and was not satisfied with my current Neurologist. They receptionist put me on hold for about 5 Min's came back and asked me to have my Neurologist to send over papers stating i have been diagnosed with clusters and they would see me sooner. withing 30 Min's i got a call asking if i could make it in the next day. It was amazing they always send me home with samples. If i cannot afford the prescription they will just tell me to come pick up some samples they always E-mail me just to see how I'm feeling. I love them. Even tho My CH is getting bad again he is trying everything and is so supportive and very knowledgeable, and even last time i was there i kept saying i just feel like giving up, I'm not gonna win. he kept trying to reassure me that he believes we will get this under control. That means a lot.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!