Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Well, the beast is back. (Read 1183 times)
L Mac
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Fort Walton Beach, FL
Well, the beast is back.
Jul 9th, 2012 at 9:09pm

Many people call me L, short for L'Den. I've been diagnosed with CH since I was 16 years old. I am now 26 and when I start getting headaches I experience atleast 1 attack per day but sometimes even up to 8 attacks on a bad day for atleast a month straight. Then they will vanish for 12-18 months. Well, unfortunately it's that time for me again.. I've read a lot on this site from time to time within the past few years when my CH comes and goes, it's a relief to know that I'm not the only one out there. As to many that have said the same I feel very fortunate to have found this site.

Back in 09 I discovered the use of o2 for CH from here and I suggested it to the doc, well good thing the doc already known about o2 for CH and agreed to prescibe o2, let me tell you, it worked! I used o2 thoughout that time and my headaches were usually gone within 10-15 min. Well since then about a year or so after, I lost my health insurance due to a job change and tried a different approach such as energy drinks, preferably rockstar, I couldn't believe it at first, but that actually works for me too, well most of the time, atleast 7 out of 10 times.. And when it didn't work, then I'm in for a rough couple of hours of pain. My headaches would last anywhere from 10 min if the energy drink works then up to a couple of hours if not. So I've just learned to deal with them and also didn't take any type of medication at that time. Just the rockstar diet and staying active.

A year and a half later now, I currently have health insurance through my employer and thought I should get back on o2. So today I went to the immediate care and thought I could suggest o2 to the doc, even as I let her know that I've been diagnosed years ago and said that o2 was very effective for me she denied me the presription because she felt that it was too dangerous. I argued saying that I have already experienced o2 in the past with great success. She suggested I should see a neurologist. True, but I tell her that I already went in the past and they were who diagnosed me with cluster headaches and prescibed me imitrex. This lady tells me that she just recently done research on cluster headaches and not anywhere did it say anything about oxygen use, then also said I shoudn't be reading false articles because I told her about what I've learned through the internet. I then tell her that they must need to update research and referred her to this site. I couldn't believe it. Again, she denied me o2 and tells me I should just see somebody else then. What kind of doctor is that? Well, now I'm going to print out the oxygen study results and drop it off at her office. What a waste of time, I guess I'll have to search for a good doc that understands cluster headaches. For now, I'm back on my enery drinks and just dealing with the beast.

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

x0|New York|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Re: Well, the beast is back.
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2012 at 9:19pm

L -good luck.  I've come up against all sorts of folks in my quest for relief, and it was hit or miss for a while before I found a good doc and good neuro.
It's not uncommon for a primary care phys. to shy away from o2 prescriptions, but a good neuro up on cluster should definitely not.
I also went the energy drink route in times of desparation - I feel you, it's rough... but it's something.
Hang in there and good luck when you bring in the o2 info..
Joshua

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2012 at 11:22pm

Welcome to the site L,
Unfortunately there are many Doctors like that, who spread their ignorance. You should have better luck with a Neuro but many of them don't know about proper O2 treament for CH.

The link below is about O2 from one of the top CH doctors in the USA, also read the "oxygen info" on the left of this screen. Good Luck!!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

Today many of us use higher than 15LPM with the O2pti mask available on this site at the CH.com store. It's made just to treat CH.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2012 at 11:37pm

Close minded "I kjnow everything doctors" are a scourge on humanity, shake the dust of her office off your feet and move on! Wink

Here's a link to the OUCH website showing sufferer recommended doc's broken down by geographical location. Hopefully one's near you.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2012 at 11:59pm

Here's the Doctor link Joe missed. I would like to ask this Doctor where she searched CH.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The OUCH (organization for Understanding CH) site has some very good info.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

L Mac
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Fort Walton Beach, FL
Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 2:08am

Thank you for the replies and also for the links. Good info.

I forgot to mention that while I was using o2 I was using it at a rate of 15LPM. It's definitely the best treatment IMO. I've also had success using 4way nasal spray through the last couple episodes. Great abortive, especially along with an enery drink.

I think it's time to start a new mission, the vitamin/anti inflammatory regimen. I've been taking omega 3 fish oil, and a multivitiman daily for a few years now. Maybe that could possibly explain why my headaches aren't so intense as when I first got them in my younger years.

I also read an article about LSD or majic mushrooms and cluster headache sufferers who took either LSD or magic mushrooms reported beneficial effects and the whole cycle would end early and the remission time between cycles would extend. Makes me think. Back in 06, I was turning 21 years old, a few of my old friends were taking shrooms just for fun, to "trip" and at that time I didn't want any part of it. Well, I finally gave in, no pressure involved, I just said why not and took a shot of the "shroom tea" and I must say, it was a fun experience at first. But then coming off of it was another story, towards the end, all of us got sick and had a bad trip. Anyways, from that day on I decided that I would never touch that stuff again. That's the only time I've ever done shrooms in my life. After reading articles about the subject made me think that I really went 3 years CH free after 1 dose of shroom tea. The longest I ever went without CH. Hmm..

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 9:22am

Thanks for fixing my screw up Don...sigh...old age!!

Mac, if you're interested in going with the "alternative" treatment options, PLEASE visit our sister site, Clusterbusters.com

It's not just a matter of popping a cap and going pain free. There are details about detoxing, dosing intervals and quantities, and a LOT of real life personal experiences. Their success rate is phenomenal so it's worth checking into.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Cupper
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Seagrove Beach FL
Reply #7 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 6:37pm

Hey L Mac, I'm in Seagrove next to Seaside. CH for last 6 yrs or so. Wish I had a Dr. for ya but mine just relocated. Not many decent choices in this area. As far as using Fungi, it's certainly no worse and probably less dangerous IMO than most prescribed meds for CH. I never leave home without some Sumitriptan within reach. Peace

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!