Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oxygen mask? (Read 5063 times)
golden_buff
CH.com Newbie

x1|killbuck|USA|usa|421|131|OH,Ohio
Oxygen mask?
Jul 3rd, 2012 at 6:28pm

Got the oxy delivered today. Doc called for nonrebreather mask. Problem is I did not get it. Just a regular mask. No valves.
Can I cut the mask off and just use the hose till I get the right one?

IP Logged

soberman
CH.com Newbie

I woke up breathing today,
the rest is just lagnia

Re: Oxygen mask?
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 7:57pm

I'm new to the oxygen too, and it has been helping. My mask is a non rebreathing mask, but it has no valves. Are you sure it's supposed to? I had the tech check it for me and she insists it is correct. Either way, it is helping. You should have a regulator though. There is an adjustable valve on it. Keep me posted, I'd like to know.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 8:02pm

Does it have a reservoir bag? If it has a bag and no valves, you're good to go. If not, make your own by cutting off the mask, cut a small hole in the corner of a large trash bag, tape the hose in the corner so the O2 fills the garbage bag, then tape off the open end of the bag with just a small opening in the opposite corner. Stick some kind of tube in there, tape around it to seal it, and voila, you have your own MacGuyver version of a non-rebreather.

Use it only until this arrives, because you're going to order one today:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 8:39pm

If the mask doesn't have valves it may still have open holes on the side. These need to be taped shut, we need 100% pure o2, no outside air.

The reason for the bag is so we have enough reserve o2 for full deep breaths. Believe me the hose or mask without a bag can't give the amount of o2 we need. Of course some is better than none.

The O2PTI mask is designed by Clusterheads just for CH. I have 3 and they make one huge difference, it has a 3 liter bag and regular NRB mask have a 1 liter.

The link below gives good info on o2 please check it out.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Also note even standard NRB masks very, some have 2 valves, others only one and of course some have none. Our knowledge comes in handy here..

Don
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2012 at 9:20pm by Skyhawk5 »  

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 12:00am

Does the oxygen mask have a reservoir bag?  If so, how large is it?

If it's a 1-liter bag, cut it off and replace it with a clean 40 gallon trash bag liner.  Fold the open end over a couple times with a 1" fold then tape the fold with duck tape for a gas tight seal. 

Then cut a small piece of one of the opposite corners a little smaller than the opening on the bottom of the mask. Stretch this over the opening on the mask and secure with electricians tape for a gas tight seal.  I call this contraption a "Redneck" reservoir bag.

Crank the regulator to the maximum flow rate (15 to 25 liters/minute), place the mask over your knee to block the escape of oxygen, and give the new "redneck" reservoir bag time to fill.  When the bag is full exhale fully away from the mask, (into the room), then place the mask over your face, inhale deeply and rapidly until your lungs can't hold any more then remove the mask and exhale forcefully into the room. 

Exhale until your lungs feel empty (they're not) then do an abdominal crunch like doing situps and hold the squeeze until your exhaled breath makes a wheezing sound for a couple seconds.  This will squeeze out another half to full liter of breath highest in CO2 content.  Then replace the mask to your face and inhale fully and rapidly.  This is called breathing at forced vital capacity tidal volumes...  It is also the most effective method of hyperventilating.

Continue repeating this sequence until the pain is completely gone.

If the mask has no reservoir bag... make the redneck reservoir ban out of the 40 gal trash bag liner only this time cut a 1/2" corner off one of the opposite corners and insert a 1/2" PVC pipe union or a nebulizer mouthpiece and secure with electricians tape for a gas tight seal.  Cut the oxygen tubing off next to the defunct mask and insert it into the other opposite corner of the redneck reservoir bag and seal with electricians tape.

Inhale from the PVC union and exhale into the room...

I've made redneck reservoir bags on a couple occasions and they work far better than any oxygen mask you can buy.  There is no resistance on inhalation or exhalation.  This helps make up for the additional effort required in the above breathing technique.

If you're using this breathing technique properly, two things will happen on the way to the fastest abort of a CH you've ever had.  The first thing is you will start coughing uncontrollably after one or two forced exhalations...  This is normal and it will last for 15 to 20 seconds until your lungs adjust to the breathing technique...

The second thing that happens is you will experience some or all of the symptoms of paresthesia - a very slight tingling or pricking of the fingertips, lips, and back of the neck.  You'll also likely experience a slight dizziness. 

All these symptoms are completely normal when using this breathing technique.  They're telling you that your system has pumped out CO2 faster than your body is generating it (through hyperventilation) and this results in respiratory alkalosis. 

As strange as this may sound, these symptoms are your friend.  They're the best indication you're hyperventilating sufficiently to abort your CH as fast as possible.

When the pain is completely gone, relax and inhale normally from the redneck reservoir bag to bring your total time breathing oxygen up to a total of 15 minutes.  In other words, if it takes 10 minutes to abort the attack breathing at forced vital capacity tidal volumes, add anther 5 minutes breathing normally.

Finally, contrary to some of the old wives tales you may have heard...  this method of oxygen therapy is very safe.  I used it up to 8 times a day at flow rates up to and above 40 liters/minute and higher for five years...  I'm still here at 67. 

I also have over 3000 hours flying Navy fighters on and off aircraft carriers...  All 3000 hours were spent breathing 100% oxygen from takeoff to landing or trap aboard ship.  The average mission length was nearly two hours and I can assure you, we were sucking down that 100% oxygen at flow rates up to 40 liters/minute and higher many times during each flight.  I always passed my annual flight physical with PA and lateral chest X-rays...

Moreover, all Navy and Marine Corps fighter and attack pilots continue to do this today and have been breathing 100% oxygen on all flights from take off to landing since 1943... shortly after US engineers cockaroached the oxygen regulator design from a Bf-109 that landed in the UK by mistake. 

Our astronauts also go on 100% oxygen for suited operations for up to four hours at a time so this is a very safe method of oxygen therapy.

Take care and keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

golden_buff
CH.com Newbie

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 9:01pm

Truly appreciate everyone's responses. It has NO bag and no valves. Just a mask. Going thru hell...I do understand about not getting enough air with just the hose in my mouth at 15 setting. The bag is the ticket..now to get one $$ I want to see if the Oxy supply co. has one with a bag to try to make sure I get relief before I order one here. Money is tight with the oxy and meds and all. OFF to make a redneck bag!

Update, Bag made..does not seem like 15 is enough flow to keep up with the volume I need. They gave me two reg's..I will try to hook two hoses up to the bag. That should do it. Problem is the E tank (I think) is only 20 cu ft. I will call for more tomorrow.
Thanks again everyone!
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2012 at 9:47pm by golden_buff »  

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 11:42pm

I would second what Brew said.  I also agree with Don and Batch. 

15 lpm does not cut it for me.  I had given up on O2, but was convinced to try it again at 25 lpm.  MAJOR difference!  I strongly recommend the O2ptimask.  The 3 liter bag makes a big difference, and the fit of the mask is so much better than those cheap things you get from the O2 suppliers or med supply places.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 4:02am

Another vote for the Optimask, it is just so much better than the cheap ones you can get.

I also love 25lpm over 15lpm as I can abort my CHs over twice as quick, 5 min of CH pain at 25lpm is much better than 12min of CH pain at 15lpm. It also saves me oxygen too

IP Logged

golden_buff
CH.com Newbie

Reply #8 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 7:13am

Well, hooked up the bag and tried it with 2 feeds from 2 different bottles with both regulators set as high as possible (15). 15 minutes straight breathing per Batch's instructions brought no relief. Kip 6. Imetrex worked though. One thing I did experience using the oxygen for 2 days (not always with the proper rate) is the increased frequency of CH. Six yesterday which is not typical for me. Hate taking all the imitrex but desperate people do desperate things. I do split each dose by 3. Wish clusterbusters was an option...sourcing problems..!
  Does the oxygen always work given sufficient volume right from the start or does it take a while? Just wondering if I need to refill bottles or just return them.
Many thanks!

IP Logged

soberman
CH.com Newbie

the rest is just lagnia

Reply #9 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 6:39pm

Wow! Just read what Batch wrote re parestesia. I didn't know what that was except that it happens to me near the end of a bad one. Over the years I've developed a few crude techniques. I found that if I force myself to couch, as hard as I can, something happens. Something good. Later on< I found that if I stick my finger down my throat and make myself dry heave over and over, I get immediate relief. Something starts popping and I can feel my head opening up. I did this today. It helped big time. I was at work in 100= degree heat and had an attack. It was a bad one I think due to the heat. Anyway, thanks for the info.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #10 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 7:41pm

Quote:
...if I force myself to couch,

Please explain.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

soberman
CH.com Newbie

the rest is just lagnia

Reply #11 - Jul 6th, 2012 at 7:31pm

Sorry Brew, cough. Guess I'm getting sloppy. I started the D3 regime after 9 days of attacks and very little sleep,and I went two full days pain free. The reprieve was short lived however and They're back. It does give me hope though. I will continue to take the supplements. I've had CH's since 1982. This year is different though. Usually, after an attack, I can count on a fairly normal day. This year is different. The CRAZY pain ends but there is a gnawing residual pain that doesn't stop. I'm using sinus buster and while it seems to help initially, I wonder if it is having a negative effect. The oxygen is a big help, but the small tanks just aren't enough. I'm building my own this weekend. I grabbed an oxygen bottle from the shop and am going to have it filled in the morning. Had to make sure it was'nt the acetylene bottle.lol

IP Logged

BlueDevil
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Australia
Reply #12 - Jul 7th, 2012 at 9:03am

Have you tried aspirin for the residual pain? My doctor recommend high dose aspirin (900 - 1000mg depending on the strength of the tablets available in your country) and I have found it quite effective for low level pain, say up to around K-4. There is research validity for its use in migraine, but certainly helps me with CH shadows most of the time.

IP Logged

soberman
CH.com Newbie

the rest is just lagnia

Reply #13 - Jul 7th, 2012 at 8:50pm

I have, and I do get some relief. On another note, I got my Optimask in today. WoW! What a difference! Until now I've been using a mask w/o a reservoir bag. I can't believe the difference. I had an attack around noon and was able to abort in just under 6 min. I have to say that since I found you guys, my life has been easier. Until recently, I thought that this is what it is and that's all there was to it.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #14 - Jul 7th, 2012 at 9:09pm

soberman wrote on Jul 7th, 2012 at 8:50pm:
I have, and I do get some relief. On another note, I got my Optimask in today. WoW! What a difference! Until now I've been using a mask w/o a reservoir bag. I can't believe the difference. I had an attack around noon and was able to abort in just under 6 min. I have to say that since I found you guys, my life has been easier. Until recently, I thought that this is what it is and that's all there was to it.

This is EXACTLY the reason so many of us hang around here - even though we may be pain-free for years now. You can't know how gratifying it is to hear somebody make progress against this thing.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #15 - Jul 7th, 2012 at 10:09pm

We all win a little anytime somebody kicks the beast to the curb! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

soberman
CH.com Newbie

the rest is just lagnia

Reply #16 - Jul 7th, 2012 at 10:13pm

I saw something about using a bubbler bottle. Have you tried this? My Doctor made a comment the other day that started me thinking. She said " Laird, nothing in your body changes, or is any different in May thru November, than any other time of the year. " She was trying to get me to think about what I do different. A few weeks ago I noticed what looked like black mold on my air register, so I did a home mold test. Then it dawned on me.... I start using my air cond. in May and stop in Nov.. I also know that I wake up with dry sinus. I bought a humidifier last week and run it all night. It seems to have helped some. I'm also in the process of changing my duct work. Until a few years ago I was a cronic CH sufferer. I don't know why it changed to seasonal, but I'm not complaining. Hopefully, I will learn how to manage the Beast, and realize a pain free life.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #17 - Jul 7th, 2012 at 10:45pm

Be careful about trying to establish a cause to your cycles starting. I'm a 34 year episodic sufferer and I STILL haven't identified what starts a cycle. The bubbler is nice for some who stay on the 02 a while as it keeps the sinuses from drying out. By all means, deal with any mold issues as there are secondary issues that mold can cause. Do not get your hopes up about ending your CH that way. The beast ALWAYS comes back. Cry

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #18 - Jul 8th, 2012 at 11:52pm

The bubbler is only supposed to be good up to 15lpm.  I used to use it when I was at that level, and needed it, because I'd be on it for 15-20 mins and running out of air.  When I went to 25 lpm I could knock it out in about 5-8 mins most of the time, so the bubbler wasn't missed.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!