Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GSK Fined $3B for Illegal Drug Marketing (Read 1793 times)
Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
GSK Fined $3B for Illegal Drug Marketing
Jul 2nd, 2012 at 7:02pm

WASHINGTON--Prescription drug giant GlaxoSmithKline will plead guilty and pay $3 billion to resolve federal criminal and civil inquiries arising from the company's illegal promotion of some of its products, its failure to report safety data and alleged false price reporting, the Justice Department announced Monday.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"GSK's sales force bribed physicians to prescribe GSK products using every imaginable form of high priced entertainment, from Hawaiian vacations to paying doctors millions of dollars to go on speaking tours to a European pheasant hunt to tickets to Madonna concerts, and this is just to name a few," said Carmin M. Ortiz, U.S. attorney in Massachusetts.

Hmmm...  This practice is likely widespread...  so the other big pharma's like AstraZenica may be involved...  I wonder how many neurologists fall into this trap?

That's a thinker if a neurologists scoffs at the notion that a vitamin D3 deficiency could possibly have a causal relationship to cluster headaches... or refuses to prescribe oxygen therapy as an abortive pushing a triptan instead...

Take care and keep your thinking cap on if possible...

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

soberman
CH.com Newbie

I woke up breathing today,
the rest is just lagnia

Re: GSK Fined $3B for Illegal Drug Marketing
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 10:12pm

Hey Batch, I accidentally posted on the wrong board. lol I started the D3 regimen yesterday. I also added a dose of stinging nettle. It seems to have some anti infl. properties. I slept 8 hrs, and woke up pain free. I can't believe it! I don't know if the supplements are responsible, but I also don't believe in coincidence. I did my second dose today, and my wife will start soon as well. Someone today at work made the comment that "this is Hell". I replied, " I've been to Hell brother and this aint it". Hope all is well with you. I'll keep you posted on how this works for me. I will also take the survey after I've been on this for awhile.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 1:00am

Hey Soberman,

Great news!  I'm not sure about stinging nettles... (Urtica dioica, Urtica urens and Urtica radix).  I know they've been used for hundreds of years for medicinal purposes but there are only a handful of studies and none are conclusive...

They grow wild in the woods around the house and I cut those bad boys down as soon as they sprout whenever possible.  I accidentally brushed up against one a few years back while I was in a high cycle and if anything, I got more hits that night.

Please keep us posted on your progress with the anti-inflammatory regimen.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 8:18am

GSK is the only company to ever grant OUCH money to help fund the Atlanta convention many years ago.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 8:51am

LIfeGas, a Linde subsidiary funded at least two OUCH conventions...  and provided oxygen...

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 9:38am

The payola schemes visible with GSK are only the tip of the iceberg. Big Pharma steers a LOT of the healthcare decisions that we ALL have to live with.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 4:04pm

I noticed the Gov't fined them $3B, but what does that do for the people?  It just enriches the Gov't coffers a little bit more.  That is the only thing the Gov't is interested in, not us.

jc

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2012 at 7:37pm

Abbott Labs with Depakote also, and a few other drug companies below.

Abbott Labs agrees to pay $1.6 billion to settle Depakote cases

May 07, 2012|By Peter Frost

Abbott will pay $800 million to resolve civil allegations split among federal and state governments, $700 million in criminal penalties and $100 million to states to resolve consumer protection matters, the Abbott Park, Ill., company said Monday.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

An article from Hawaii gives other terms of the settlement.

The company also will pay $100 million nationally.  As part of this settlement, Hawaii will receive nearly $1.2 million in settlement funds from the company for consumer education and consumer protection enforcement actions.

Under the settlement, Abbott Laboratories is:

Prohibited from making false or misleading claims about Depakote.

Prohibited from promoting Depakote for off-label uses.

Required to ensure financial incentives on sales do not promote off-label uses of Depakote.

In addition, for a 5-year period Abbott must:

Limit the creation and use of responses to requests by physicians for non-promotional information about off-label uses of Depakote.

Limit dissemination of reprints of clinical studies relating to off-label uses of Depakote.

Limit use of grants and continuing medical education.

Disclose payments to physicians.

Register and disclose clinical trials.

In a previous article, The Chicago Tribune does some in-depth on off-label marketing practices and the reason drugmakers settle by paying fines.

Whistle-blower suits target Abbott's 'off-label' selling of epilepsy drug Depakote

Company, federal regulators could be close to settlement

November 13, 2011|By Ellen Gabler, Chicago Tribune reporter

Although doctors are allowed to prescribe drugs "off-label," as the practice is known, companies cannot market them in that way. Regulators say companies often do so anyway and, as a result, drug companies are facing more scrutiny and sometimes end up paying billions in legal settlements.

Some experts say companies agree to the settlements because if they are found liable, the firms could be barred from receiving payments from Medicare and Medicaid programs, which make up a big portion of their sales.

"No company is willing to take that risk," said Antonia Giuliana, an attorney who has represented large pharmaceutical companies. "The consequences for a company that doesn't settle is potentially devastating."

Even though settlements can be costly, some experts contend that drugmakers have little reason to stop off-label promotion because the penalties usually don't offset profits companies reap from off-label marketing.

"Even with these large fines, it is still good business to promote drugs illegally," said Dr. Adriane Fugh-Berman, director of PharmedOut, a project at Georgetown University Medical Center that works to expose inappropriate pharmaceutical marketing techniques.

One reason illegal marketing persists is because companies as an entity, not top executives, are the targets of most investigations and lawsuits, said Eric Blumberg, a litigation deputy for the FDA's Office of Chief Counsel.

"The government needs to start prosecuting individuals if we want to deter this conduct," he said.

The FDA is constantly investigating off-label marketing cases. The FDA said it has received dozens of whistle-blower cases in the past two years.

The cases are often filed under the False Claims Act, in which a private citizen files a lawsuit alleging suspected fraud being committed against the federal government.

Early this month, GlaxoSmithKline PLC said it would pay the U.S. government $3 billion to settle civil and criminal charges for illegal marketing of diabetes drug Avandia and others. In 2009, Pfizer Inc. paid $2.3 billion for similar allegations about its painkiller Bextra, and Eli Lilly & Co. settled for $1.4 billion the same year for Zyprexa, used to treat schizophrenia.

Abbott's settlement is expected to be announced sometime in December. Company spokesman Scott Stoffel would only say that "discussions are ongoing."

"These drugs are being promoted for conditions they have not been shown to be effective, and they might be dangerous," she said.

The complaints also allege that doctors were given kickbacks to talk about off-label uses of Depakote.

According to McCoyd's filing, Abbott salespeople were given about $20,000 to $30,000 each year to "educate" physicians and other heath care providers about off-label use of Depakote.

Abbott paid doctors who promoted the drug between $500 and $2000 per speech, the complaint states. The money allegedly was funneled through intermediaries and associations, including the Alzheimer's Association, although the association told the Tribune it has "no knowledge" of such activities.

Using the organizations to pay doctors was done to "disguise the direct payments to doctors and Abbott's substantial and direct involvement" in the events, the complaint alleges.

« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2012 at 7:46pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!