Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Back on the Topamax (Read 1310 times)
Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

x0|New York|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Back on the Topamax
Jul 2nd, 2012 at 8:09am

In addition to the D3 therapy - have started taking the Topamax again.  It was the only thing that worked last time other than prednisone.  I went from 25mg (no side effects) to 50 mg last night and got slammed with the dopeyness.  I made the mistake of taking my dose at 6pm, it wiped me out for the rest of the night and in to today... hoping it lessens as I get used to it.  Will start taking it before bed instead of before dinner! 
In ~2 weeks the pred taper should be done, the D3 shouled be fully ramped up, I can get my levels tested and see where I am.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Back on the Topamax
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 9:27am

I've never had to go with "dopey-max" as the lithium has always worked well for me. Sadly there is a percentage of users who have to fight through the brain willies! Wink Hope it's a short term deal and you can get back on top again.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 7:22am

Meh- had to stop.  Same exact deal as 3 years ago.  I wish it was different.  As soon as I took the 50 mg dose, I became short of breath all day and totally out of it.  Found this link as well:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Seems it does happen...

Down to 40mg pred on the taper and got hit last night for the first time since starting it.  Back to the drawing board Smiley

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 9:23am

Has your doc tried lithium in the past? Don't tlet the hollywood stereotype of a mouth breathing zombie scare you. I take 1200 mg a day and at that dose if I didn't tell you I was on it you'd never know. It takes a little blood work the first go round to establish what your therapeudic dose is as we all process this salt a little differently. Might be worth a shot.

Joe

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 10:00am

I will be honest. I am 100% put off by the lithium stereotype.  There- I said it.  That said, I can no longer put off trying it I think. 

Weight gain, hazy waking hours, etc... that's what I'm scared of (as I already struggle with attention and weight) -- so..

What was your experience?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 12:04pm

The only side effects...over 20 years of using....you pee a LOT the first 2 weeks, takes a few blood draws the first time around to set a therapeudic level....and you feel a little lethargic. Nothing a cup or two of coffee wouldn't eliminate. I was a working cop on lithium and even my beat partners couldn't tell. I refused the first time the doc suggested it too, just because of the negative mental images i had. In hind sight I could have  saved a few more years of betting my arse kicked by beasty. So believe me, i get it. Smiley

joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!