Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Please HELP!!! (Read 2759 times)
Rfigs81
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

phoenix. az
Please HELP!!!
Jul 1st, 2012 at 2:47am

I have recently tryed disoloveable Alavert and it seams to help somewhat, but I'm looking for some other options. Can anyone share with me there treatments???

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Please HELP!!!
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 10:10am

Print out the PDF file, below, and use it as a tool to discuss options with our doc. He will appreciate the source and you, while not understanding all the medical jargon, will get some idea of the variety of meds used for Cluser.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 16 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 10:03am

You've asked quite a question there. I think the best bet might be to explore this site a little bit and check the different threads. As for myself, I'm a pretty typical case.

As soon as a cycle starts (3 headaches in a week) I take the following:

Prednisone- 60 mg tapered down 10 mg every 3 days.
Immigran- This is the self injection type used to abort a headache

If the first pred taper doesn't take, I try another. I also take 5000 iu of vitamin D3 daily.

Hope this helps Smiley

IP Logged

Rfigs81
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

phoenix. az
Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 3:46pm

Wow you only get 3 , gosh I wish I was in your shoes I get 1 to 3 a day on the worst day was 5 in a 9 hour period. I am pushing towards the natural side or the one with the least amount of side effects possible, Ive tried prednisone, horrible aftertaste it leaves plus the continue use of steroids can cause serious damage and Prednisone can weaken your immune system, making it easier for you to get an infection or worsening an infection you already have or have recently had.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 4:06pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Best option out there if you can do it.

JMHO

jc

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Buzza
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Lynn,Ma.
Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 2:37pm

I just started using Sumatriptan injections and I hate needles but I hate the headachjs more so I grew a set and stuck mysel Friday afternoon when I was under attack.
3 minutes, a lot of flushness/burning to the face and all was gone.
You give it to yourself  in the thigh.
Stuff actually worked.I cried I was so happy!!!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Kevin-58
CH.com Newbie

God Be with us

Middle Georgia
Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 4:35pm

I have been using the Sumatriptan, Relpax or Maxalt MLT with Naproxine and O2 for this cycle (1 month into it now, 4 to 6 a day) Just saw the Neurologist on Monday and started the Pred along with Verapamil on Tuesday Morning. Last CH was Monday night!!
Doc told me the goal of the steriod and Calcium blocker was to STOP the cycle - it seems to be working . . . still packing my triptans and O2 in the car when I go to work - just in case, but for now I am  PAIN FREE Smiley  and a months worth was only $30.00 for the 2  Grin

kt.coleman  
IP Logged

Rfigs81
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

phoenix. az
Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 5:25pm

so you think its the prednisone? whats different about the meds your on now as apposed to the earlier treatments?

IP Logged

Kevin-58
CH.com Newbie

God Be with us

Middle Georgia
Reply #8 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 7:52pm

I'm not sure if the prednisone has stopped has the cycle, or the verapamil or the combination of both. Or maybe the cycle was over - although they typically last 2 - 3 months. Before with the triptans and O2, I was only treating the headache for the moment, knowing that after I fell asleep the damned thing would come back with a vengence - kip9 to 10. With the results I've felt so far, I'm willing to stay on the Prednisone for a short time to see if it keeps them away.
I am taking 20mg 3 times a day for 5 days - then down to twice a day for 3 days - then once a day for 3 days - then 10mg (1/2) tab for 6 days, just under 3 weeks total.
I would rather stay away from the steroids, but I was willing to try them once to see if I had positive results. So far so good - will keep you informed. My Doc did tell me that his experience with this regime has brought good results to his patients to stop the cycle, but did say that the cycle will most likely come back again in the next cycle, which for me is November.

kt.coleman  
IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #9 - Jul 6th, 2012 at 10:59am

Rfigs81 wrote on Jul 3rd, 2012 at 3:46pm:
Wow you only get 3...

No, but my cycle tends to ramp up slowly. I do get an isolated headache from time to time, but if I get 3 in a week it's usually the sign that I've entered a cycle. At peak in a cycle I get 1~2 per day. Not the worst, but definitely not a walk in the park.

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #10 - Jul 6th, 2012 at 11:03am

Kevin-58 wrote on Jul 5th, 2012 at 7:52pm:
I'm not sure if the prednisone has stopped has the cycle, or the verapamil or the combination of both.

Prednisone is usually good for a small break while the dosage is high, but many times the headaches come back once the dosage drops below a certain point. I'm lucky in that so far prednisone has usually been enough to cut my cycles off. Sometimes I need more than 1 taper, but it never fails to stop the headaches in their tracks. Just remember it's not the kind of stuff you want to be taking for an extended period of time!

IP Logged

Rfigs81
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

phoenix. az
Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2012 at 12:46pm

combine the prednisone w/ disolveable Alavert( antihistamine ) the  antihistamine works within 2 min it works great for me, it wont stop the cycle but will relieve the pressure

IP Logged

Jmann53121
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 6:47pm

I'm 54 years old and had my first attack about a month ago. It starts between 3 and 4 in the afternoon and was daily for the first 3 weeks. Now I missed a day but then they returned. Today I'm starting Prednisone with Verapamil and Sumatriptan Succinate Injection. I have not had an attack today.
I guess I'm just wondering why most of you started at a younger age. My Dr. diagnosed to quite quickly.
I want to say thanks to CH.com.
Jeff

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!