Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The heat as a trigger (Read 3427 times)
Bonnie lee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

The heat as a trigger
Jun 29th, 2012 at 11:47am

Finally made it to Arizona. Was pain free for a whole month before the trip and made it through the trip wonderfully. Was anxious because I has to drive 4 days to get here but it all went great. But...... As soon as I got here it all went down hill. I can't stay out in the heat for more than an hour or it triggers a nasty one. Has any one else had a problem with the the heat?

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: The heat as a trigger
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2012 at 12:33pm

Lancet. 1999 Sep 18;354(9183):1001-2.
Comment in:
Lancet. 2000 Jan 8;355(9198):147.

A new cluster headache precipitant: increased body heat.

Blau JN, Engel HO.

Exercise, a hot bath, or elevated environmental temperature provoked cluster headaches, within 1 h, in 75 out of 200 patients. This new observation accords with recognised precipitants--alcohol, histamine, and gyceryl trinitrate--perhaps via generalised vasodilatation or hypothalamic activation.

Publication Types:
Letter

PMID: 10501368 [PubMed]
==========
We get regular, if infrequent questions, around attacks when working outdoors, active sporting events, etc.

You might try 1mg melatonin about one-hour before going into a heat situation which you know will trigger an attack. Works for some of us.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2012 at 3:21pm

I've wondered about that too. It makes sense to me that, being a vasodilator, heat could trigger an attack.

IP Logged

cathy_lane
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2012 at 4:18pm

yup heat is the trigger for me.... i sleep next to a wide open window and only under a sheet!! and when i get one first thing i do is get ice cubes wrap them in a tea towel and put it on my temple..works a treat!

IP Logged

Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus

It's always darkest before
the dawn.

North Carolina, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2012 at 6:52pm

Heat is a big trigger for me also.  Bob I've never heard or tried taking melatonin before going out into the heat!  I usually take many breaks for water, and to squirt myself with my squirt bottle , or stick my head under the sink sprayer to keep myself cool.  I'm definately going to give that a go!  Right now we are in a HUGE heat wave here in NC  triple digits through Tues day (high's of 105ish!, staying indoors as much as possible!  Thank goodness we have great central air!)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
taratheking taraann77 taraann1977 peachypie77 imjustpeachypie  
IP Logged

soberman
CH.com Newbie

I woke up breathing today,
the rest is just lagnia

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 10:12pm

I live in New Orleans, and the heat here is almost unbearable for me when I'm having an attack; Which is now. Started May 20th. The heat is a big factor in my attacks. What really sucks is that I work outside as an ironworker. Try explaining a cluster attack to a blue coller Coon Ass. lol I find that a cool pack loosly wrapped around my neck helps. Anyway, I hope you can enjoy Arizona. I will pray for you.

IP Logged

Bonnie lee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 1:13am

Gonna try the melatonin!!! Been trying to stay inside during the day and going out in the evening. But have to get my butt back to work soon. Thank god i am a nurse and will have an inside job. I hate it because i dont like having to rearrange my life for the beast. it pisses me off!!! Its beautiful here and i want too see everything. Went too a flea market and that was a mistake. lasted an hour. made me mad. Even upped my topamax to see if that would help. Not up to what the doc wanted me to be anyway.

IP Logged

Rfigs81
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

phoenix. az
Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 3:02am

Try dissolvable alavert, works for me. Cool I'm also going to try Petadolex herbal supplement. Ive heard alot of good thing about it...
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2012 at 3:20am by Rfigs81 »  

IP Logged

Bonnie lee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 5:28pm

I have tried petadolex. Didn't do anything for me but everyone is different. Wouldn't hurt to try it. My mothers doctor gave her coupons for her to give to me so I tried it.

IP Logged

Rfigs81
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

phoenix. az
Reply #9 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 3:39pm

what dosage did you take? 50 mg 75 mg?? and what was the total amount you took?
If you take the 50mg you take 50 mg in the morning then 100mg before bed, the 75 mg one in the morning then one before bed. they take a few days if not weeks to fully start to help you.

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 8:24pm

For the longest time, I thought it was only barometic pressure (as in, "storms") that got to my CH.  Then I kept better records, and I learned that high heat (especially with humidity) can trigger a nasty CH if I'm not careful.  Number one task is getting cooled down.  Number two?  Hydrate!

Short answer?  Yes, high heat coupled with dehydration can definitely trigger CH for me.  Your mileage may vary.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Bonnie lee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 1:17am

Been trying to keep hydrated. I dont think i have drank so much in my life!!!! Made an appointment with a new neurologist here and when i talked to the receptionist she said to me .... "let me guess... The heat is really getting to you isnt it?" i said... "sure is."

IP Logged

Bonnie lee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 1:18am

I dont remember how much of the the pedolex that i took. But i am the kind of person who doesnt get instant results I tend to give up. Let me know how it works out for you.

IP Logged

Rfigs81
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

phoenix. az
Reply #13 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 4:25am

I live in AZ plus Im a painter by trade, so im in the heat all the time, its not the heat for me but the dust. It always seems like I get them at night more than anything, when I do I use the Alavert and put my head under the faucet and run warm to hot water on my head, pain is gone within minutes. But everyone is different. Ive lived in AZ all my life never been affected up until about 4 years ago. stress seems to be my trigger

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #14 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 8:34am

Heat has always been a factor for me. While living in FL, I was miserable. When I moved to MA, the seasonal element of my chronic cycles was much more noticeable. I get hit in the winter, too, but not as frequently. Stay cool and keep your O2 near! blessings. lance

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #15 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 10:56am

Of all my cluster episodes, they have either come in the spring or winter. Summer heat never bothered me, and growing up in Texas I was exposed to a fair amount of that. I guess seasonal changes are worse for me than anything else.

IP Logged

Bonnie lee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #16 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 11:27pm

Rfigs81 i notice you are in pheonix. we just moved to glendale. can you recommend a good neurologist around here? it would be so wonderful if you could.

IP Logged

Rfigs81
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

phoenix. az
Reply #17 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 1:15am

DR. Mark Winograd
Suite #151E  5757 West Thunderbird Road, Glendale, AZ 85306
(602) 843-3811
Male, Age 68, Graduated 1969, Albert Einstein College Of Medicine Of Yeshiva University

you can make an appointment by calling 1-888-272-1045

IP Logged

Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus

It's always darkest before
the dawn.

North Carolina, USA
Reply #18 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 3:12am

Rfigs81 wrote on Jul 5th, 2012 at 1:15am:
DR. Mark Winograd
Suite #151E  5757 West Thunderbird Road, Glendale, AZ 85306
(602) 843-3811
Male, Age 68, Graduated 1969, Albert Einstein College Of Medicine Of Yeshiva University

you can make an appointment by calling 1-888-272-1045

Cool I love seeing this kinda stuff not only our banter...chitty chat, ( and I HATE DOCS... really truly

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
taratheking taraann77 taraann1977 peachypie77 imjustpeachypie  
IP Logged

Bonnie lee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #19 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 3:59pm

Thanks for the hook up!!! Gonna give him a call!!!

IP Logged

Rfigs81
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

phoenix. az
Reply #20 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 5:21pm

Anytime  Smiley

IP Logged

Cupper
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Seagrove Beach FL
Reply #21 - Jul 7th, 2012 at 1:05am

Sauna'd yesterday morn and lasted 15 min. Just chugged red bull and think my cycle is starting. Heat and Low pressure combo me into trouble.

IP Logged

Rfigs81
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

phoenix. az
Reply #22 - Jul 7th, 2012 at 12:42pm

Try dissolveable  Alavert (antihistamine) works for me

IP Logged

Bonnie lee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #23 - Jul 7th, 2012 at 2:10pm

Never heard of using Alavert. Gonna try that too

IP Logged

stel
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #24 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 2:37pm

Heat is a trigger for me too. In fact, if I can get cold on my face really quickly when I feel one coming on it can stop the pain from getting worse. Sometimes. 

When at home I keep water balloons in the freezer. When I need it I'll wrap one in a thin cotton dish towel and press it next to my face. When I'm in cycle (now) I sleep with one of these wrapped in a bath towel next to the bed so that I can reach over and grab it when the beast wakes me up. Wrapped in a terry bath towel, it stays frozen all night.  The balloons are great because unless ripped they don't leak all over my pillow like ice cubes in a bag used to.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!