Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PTSD or Neck/Back Related? (Read 2014 times)
ir0ck
CH.com Newbie

WHY ME?

Cincinnati
PTSD or Neck/Back Related?
Jun 27th, 2012 at 10:57am

It is a great relief to find this community and actually diagnose my Demon.

I have been suffering with this since 1999 and I actually believed I was the only one in the world who experienced this type of pain. I never associated the Cycles with Headaches because I knew my condition was much more severe. In fact, I have lost all hope in Doctors and neurologists since I went to a Chiropractor in 1999 and he suggested I have pinched nerves caused from my neck/upper back area and he ultimately was able to Give me relief from the horror.

While the Adjustments and Electro Shock Therapy helped me then It did not stop the Demon from coming back like clockwork the next year and many years since. My Cycles usually last 1 week to 3 months and take a major toll on my life. I have visited this chiropractor during a number of cycles and each time he is able to help. However for some reason I have been to a hand full of other Chiropractors who could not help or even made my CH worse.

Recently, I have discovered a Neurologically based Chiropractor because I am living very far from my Regular Chiropractor. She explained the relationship with the spine and joints and Nervous symptom.

I took a type to stress test called "Neuroinfiniti" Stress Response Evaluation. Basically the test includes brain Waves(EEG),Heart Rate(HRV) skin conductance, Temperature, Respiration Rate, and Muscle Balance (SEMG). The results were shocking to my doctor in what she claimed were the worst she has ever seen. She was very concerned about the findings and sent them off to her mentor or teacher. The results came back with the conclusion I had severe PTSD.

In the back of my mind was like "No shit i'm under stress the pain makes me feel like im on my deathbed!"

My Neuro-Chiro Suggests Oxygen and Adjustments. Also has plans for some non toxic drugs and Vitamins. Also she asked me to try a gluten free diet.

For the moment I am feeling a little bit better.  Instead of excruciating pain every evening and waking in the middle of the night or early in the morning with a CH, I am down to about 2-3 hits per week. Mostly 3-6 on the KIP scale but still some are well at the 10 mark.

She believes the root of my problem is not caused from my neck or back but by the brain which controls things like joints, nerves, muscles and claims that is why chiropractic treatment has worked for me in the past.

My reason for posting this is to share my experience and compare since Neck issues seem to be a common theme here. As well as some stress and PTSD mentions.

I know alot of people here have done their homework on Clusters so I would appreciate some feedback. Also, I will share my test results if any are interested.

http://www.facebook.com/zr0ckz  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: PTSD or Neck/Back Related?
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 12:34pm

It isn't your neck that is causing cluster headaches. It's your hypothalamus. It's defective. Just like mine.

While a chiropractor might be able to offer some structural relief from the stresses that we all go through having to fight this thing, you're wasting your time if you're looking for relief from CH via manipulation and electrode therapy.

And as far as stress goes, don't sell it short. Many here swear that stress actually helps keep the beast at bay. It's once we relax that we seem to be vulnerable to attack.

Since your "Neuro-Chiro" (what is that anyway?) suggested vitamins, you might want to take a closer look at Batch's vitamin D3 regimen thread:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Give yourself a few hours to go through it carefully. It's helping lots of people around here.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 4:41pm

How Brew just answered you is exactly correct !!!  One of our members here who suffers from CH is, in fact also a chiropractor.  He has said numerous times that chiropractors cannot help CH patients except to the degree which Brew already mentioned regarding structural stresses.

Quote:
It is a great relief to find this community and actually diagnose my Demon.

Am I wrong in assuming that YOU diagnosed yourself because of this forum and anything you have read?  If I am worng, I apologize.  If not...you should definetly see a knowledgable, physician who specializes in CLUSTER headaches for a proper diagnosis and treatment.

Quote:
I have been suffering with this since 1999 and I actually believed I was the only one in the world who experienced this type of pain.

NO way.  Even though our condition is rare...you are certainly not alone in this and this site which was started by a great guy named DJ about 14 yrs. ago is the most comprehensive source of information anywhere.  Please read the forums and even though the info. is vast and may take you some time, you will become more knowledgable about our condition than most doctors. 

We welcome you.  Feel free to ask questions also.   Wink

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

ir0ck
CH.com Newbie

WHY ME?

Cincinnati
Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 10:06pm

Yes I have diagnosed myself with clusters. This weekend I was searching Oxygen to figure out why my Chiropractor was recommending it and found alot of info on the web Relating to clusters. Everything I read I was like wow. This is it! Which Led me here. Before that I had no clue when this nerve was going pop and end it all.

Quote:
And as far as stress goes, don't sell it short. Many here swear that stress actually helps keep the beast at bay. It's once we relax that we seem to be vulnerable to attack.

Seems logical however stress is different from worrying. Actually anything you do is a stressor. Stress response is controlled by the nervous system.
PTSD was diagnosed because my nervous system showed immense stress, and then in times of relaxation my body was unable to recover.
The nervous system controls every cell and organ in your body. Including nerves. So if my nervous system is overloaded, Always prepairing for trauma. And still on high alert while I'm sleeping it could cause pain or even alert my hypothalamus. But I could be way off!

Quote:
He has said numerous times that chiropractors cannot help CH patients except to the degree which Brew already mentioned regarding structural stresses.

Oddly my neuro-Chiro told me the same thing. She claims the reason this other chiro was able to help in the past was the adjustment stimulates the nervous systems response and Releases pressure.
Infact, she insists by neck or back is fine and not the cause. she believes it is chemical or electromagnetic with my brain.  Shocked

Ive spent the last 12 years thinking I had a bad neck :/

Thanks for the Input and I am all about researching this Demon.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 10:27pm

You need to get a diagnosis from a medical doctor first. This is almost always followed up by an MRI of the noggin - make sure it's nothing more sinister.

If you're only self-diagnosed, you'll find you won't get many folks' buy-off.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 10:40pm

Quote:
she believes it is chemical or electromagnetic with my brain. 

Which is exactly why we are pushing for you to find a knowledgable doctor to diagnose you PROPERLY.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

ir0ck
CH.com Newbie

WHY ME?

Cincinnati
Reply #6 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 11:07pm

I can see why you both would want me to see a doctor. And Ive had to deal with explaining my condition for a while now.

But I have had CT and MRI done back in 1999 when I was visiting doctors and neurologists. Also another MRI in 2008. I went thru a year and a half of doctors who prescribed endless nonsense medications. Ive simply lost faith in them. and none of them could diagnose it.

Ive read about half way thru all the articles on the page brew suggested and right away I realized the Omega 3 and D3 are exactly what my Chiropractor prescribed to me today along with Taurine. Perhaps she has been here? She also recommended Oxygen last week. Coincidence?

Just because she is a Chiropractor doesn't mean she is not "Knowledgeable". Besides she is a Certified Neurologist who also practices Chiropractic care.

Im going to see how my treatment goes with her before I go back to paying someone hundres of dollars to prescribe me flexeral,immatrex and Ibprofine.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!