Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Your first time ever? (Read 3731 times)
Mahosian
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Your first time ever?
Jun 24th, 2012 at 11:53am

I looked briefly and didn't see a similar topic started before...

Just thought it would be interesting to hear your stories about the first time you ever experienced the cluster headache, and maybe the relevant conditions sorrounding it.

I experienced my first one a few days after arriving in France. So I jumped 4 or 5 time zones overnight. And as I was flying overnight and would have to wake up and go about my day, I took an ativan which helped me sleep through it. I had a couple of great days in Paris, landed in Cote d'Or, and woke up the next day with the beast for the first time ever. I thought it was a complete abnormality, couldn't believe it when I woke up with the same pain for the next few days...

Things that have remained the same for me at the onset of a cycle: one week prior to equinox or solstice; very irregular sleep two or three nights before; being away from home; first time having intercourse after a long time without.

Would love to hear about your experiences, so please share.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: Your first time ever?
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 7:53am

I was at Epcot in Orlando. I couldn't believe the intensity of the pain...short, stabbing and staccato. I thought it was sinus related so I chewed some asprin and downed some antihistamines. This seemed to help, but I suspect it was merely the attack coming to its natural end. In those days the hits were not regular in either periodicity or duration. That soon changed. I remember one day, prior to my first ever neuro appointment, where I was hit every hour for 30 minutes for 24 hours. It was pure hell. The neuro did diagnose me with CHs and put me on verapamil and cafergot. That worked for a couple of years while I was still episodic, but they morphed into a more intractable form of chronic hits. Then I found this site, O2, and other means of relief. blessings. lance

IP Logged

Mahosian
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 1:08pm

Did you fly to epcot or drive? From where? How long after you arrived did the first one start?

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 9:05am

We lived in central FL at the time, so we drove. We had a family pass and often went on Fridays, although we would go any time we could get away. No correlation between geography or day of the week. That's just where they started and they have been going strong no matter where I am (New England, Germany, anywhere.) blessings. lance

IP Logged

ballen
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 4:50pm

After I had had an inner ear percussion. That is where the laser an opening into the eardrum and inject vancomycin and steroids for a total of 3 days in a row. Lasted for the next three months, every night same time. Now a year later it has returned......exactly a year later without any procedures prior. I did have tonsillitis so bad it required I'VE antibiotics, oral antibiotics and 2 injections. My face was swollen on that side. Don't know if related or not. Been well for a week and headaches still here.

IP Logged

ballen
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 4:51pm

Sorry about all miss spelled words! Spell check got me again!

IP Logged

Cupper
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Seagrove Beach FL
Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2012 at 1:06am

Mexico City. maybe high altitude and heat combo.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2012 at 9:57am

I didn't have a memorable first one. Mine built gradually in my mid teens and it's only looking back I see the Spring/Fall patterns emerging. My first "killer attack" was while my wife and I were camping. Thought I had a gas leak in the camper and had all of the gas lines replaced! Better then having all my tooth pulled i suppose. Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2012 at 10:19am

I honestly don't remember my first cluster headache attack.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Sean1973
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Indiana
Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2012 at 4:59pm

I was having dinner at Logan's with my wife, kids and sister.  My right eye started watering and the pain followed.  My wife thought I was having an aneurism.  Went to the doctor the next day and was diagnosed.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #10 - Jul 11th, 2012 at 6:01pm

Quote:
I looked briefly and didn't see a similar topic started before...

lol, Oh it's been done before.  But we've had so many newcomers in the last few years that it bears repeating I suppose.

Hottest part of summer, 1987.

Sitting on the floor trying to program my new T.V.

Started feeling some pain behind my eye  that went from a zero to a 10 in about 3 mins..

I was certain I was going to die and that something in  my brain had just burst.

rolling on the floor in agony.

Children ready to call the paramedics.

Subsides....in about an hour, only to re-visit me for the next 25 years, give or take a few months.

Unlike some of you, (Most of you) I was lucky.  I looked up this pain in a medical book, and because I knew someone who was personal friends with the GREAT Dr. Kudrow, I got in to see him with-in weeks.   (Google Dr. Kudrow)

I could only wish and hope that others who are out there right now wondering WTF is this pain, could be diagnosed and treated as fast as I was.  Some folks here have waited years and years to be diagnosed correctly,  after having teeth pulled, sinus surgery, money spent on Chiropractic, snake oil salesmen and more.  MUCH more.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Jmann53121
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Jul 11th, 2012 at 8:06pm

I am 54 years old and had never had problems with headaches until about 3 weeks ago. I started getting cluster headaches after a beer or 2. I went to the doctor and he scheduled an MRI which showed everything normal. I quit drinking all together. But I still got a headache every day about 4pm. I was so bad last Friday that I went to the ER. They gave me 02. I went to a neurologist today and I will be getting 02 at home and I start Topamax tonight. See what happens, I reckon.

IP Logged

Jmann53121
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Jul 11th, 2012 at 8:37pm

I really thought I would be on a message board for ALS not cluster headaches. My grand father died from ALS along with my father and 2 brothers. I thought that the cluster headaches HAD to be connected to ALS. Guess not though.

IP Logged

Bonnie lee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Jul 11th, 2012 at 10:31pm

February 2, 2011... I was on my way to work when I got this stabbing pain behind my left eye. I thought I was dying!!!! Thought I was having a stroke or something really bad. Dont remember driving to the ER. But I got there. They did the usual CAt scan, IV pain killers, saw an ophthalmologist. Said they thought maybe optical migraines. Took a year of different maybe diagnosis from....
Sunct syndrome, possible pituitary tumor, trigeminal neuralgia, optical migraines, migraines, etc. etc... Until I got official diagnosis januauary of thi year at john hopkins.

IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #14 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 2:53am

They started a year ago, waking me out of a dead sleep, feeling homicidal.

IP Logged

Billie
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Maryland
Reply #15 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 7:48pm

In 9th grade, history class.  We were studying for the Citizenship Test, and the teacher was teaching us by using acronyms.  Don't ask me how he did that or how that method worked because every day during that class I got hit with one, and I didn't hear a thing he was saying.  I just remember thinking my head was going to explode and I was dying.  I don't even think I told my mom what was going on until after I had a couple because I was afraid I was going to find out I was dying.

http://www.facebook.com/smithbilliejoe?ref=tn_tnmn  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #16 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 10:10pm

I don't remember my first time. I already had a headache for several weeks after a concussion when I noticed that at random it would rapidly escalate to something that at the time I thought was pretty painful for times between 5 minutes and 30 minutes before vanishing. Over the next month it got more frequent and severe before I ended up in hospital for a week where I had virtually every test you can think of, including where they wanted to record my blood pressure changes during an "attack" whilst demanding that I didn't thrash around with the pain (this was a month or so later by which time it was evolving into the classic CH symptoms).

IP Logged

Evan O
CH.com Junior

Brooklyn, New York
Reply #17 - Jul 14th, 2012 at 1:12pm

Sitting in traffic, summer afternoon. I remember being so shocked as to the pain I was feeling and had no clue what it was. I blasted the A/C in the car and pressed my face up against the vents. 48 hours later I was told I needed glasses Smiley, and the journey began.

IP Logged

soberman
CH.com Newbie

I woke up breathing today,
the rest is just lagnia

Reply #18 - Jul 15th, 2012 at 9:10pm

It was late summer 1983. I started my morning as usual.... A joint before school. Five classes later, in English class, BAM! I still remember the hopeless feeling. I forgot to mention that that joint was laced with PCP. My first CH started just as I stopped tripping. I don't know if this has anything to do with the cause of my CH and I probably never will. Please don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to be funny, or glorify drug use. I'm a recovering alcoholic/addict, and sometimes it sucks not being able to use a narcotic pain reliever when really needed. The bottom line for me though is that when I start, I can't stop. Opiates have never been of any help to my CH anyway. On the contrary, they seemed to antagonize my headaches. Ok, now that I've thrown that out there.... I hope everyone has a pain free evening. BTW, the D3 seems to be working wonders.

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #19 - Jul 15th, 2012 at 9:44pm

For me, it was probably my first airplane flight home from college.  (We'd driven on the way down there.)  I remember having the most horrendous stabbing pains through my left eye, ear, and brain.  I tried to hide it, but the guy in the seat next to me could see the tears rolling and must have alerted the flight attendant.  She didn't really do anything for me but suggested I might have a sinus infection and that's what was causing the pain.  (She later provided me with a barf bag, which I used and had to hand back to her.)

A checkup after the flight revealed no signs of sinus infection and indeed, I felt fine when the episode was over.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!