Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello just introducing myself (Read 1468 times)
BSBAQE12
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Baltimore MD
Hello just introducing myself
Jun 22nd, 2012 at 12:25am

Hello, as my profile suggests I live in the Baltimore metropolitan area: thankfully, access to top doctors is easy, and there are an abundance of them at that. I have been diagnosed with cluster headaches, acute, and the doc suspects chronic, now at 11 months without a break for more than 5 days (going insane). The doctor is a board certified neurologist, head of stroke unit, and affiliated with Hopkins, he specializes in headaches as well: the fact he knew what a cluster headache consisted of, was a good start, hell his office had pamphlets on it.

The medications prescribed are the norm, Depakote ER 1000mg, Verapamil ER 360mg (cannot go higher, my blood pressure is already getting low from that dosage, I am a skinny guy 5'10" 150 soaking wet). To abort, I use Alsuma 6mg injections ( luckily my insurance authorized 10 a month) I also have Imitrex nasal, but am not fond of them, my time window is limited less than 10 minutes; however, they are nice to carry around in case of an attack while at school or on the road. I am aware of the interaction between those and Alsuma, another reason I try to avoid using them unless necessary. Also, for health reason, I stopped the usage of Lithium and Tegretol, after 10 years being stable it was time to stop those crazy meds, Lithium is not recommend for a long duration, according to my docs. I am scheduled for Botox injections, seems absurd,but at this point I will try anything.

Alternative treatments seem useless; yet, I take magnesium, a B complex, amino acid complex, melatonin, and multivitamin/mineral.

Limitations are hidden, I have had to many disabilities to knock me down: including two spinal fusions, one the lower spine, L4-S5-L1 , the other C3-C7 neck. To deal with pain I just take  injections, sometimes daily, if I run out use the nasals. As far as symptoms, the clusters are usually in my left eye, tearing and nasal congestion always prevalent, sometimes this shifts to my right eye. The pain can shift to the temple, and or jaw--flushing/sweating is not uncommon: the duration is usually less than hour, the ones that wake me up are a b!@#$ usually four hours, pure hell. If any limitation, my sleep cycle is destroyed, which I do realize complicates the problem, I am sure my neighbors think I am night owl, not uncommon for me to be awake at 5 am or be up for two days straight.

Last, I have a good understanding of these, a family member has episodic clusters, thus, when I received the diagnosis, my exact thought was oh sh@% I am in for a long ride.  The support network is there, that does help. Figured I would join to gather more insight into this, my expertise is not in the medical professions, in case it matters I am a finance, Econ, and Accounting major, (I have no life, serious).

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Hello just introducing myself
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 1:39am

Hi and welcome

It seems that you've got a pretty good handle on your CHs and are working with a good neuro.

You didn't mention using oxygen to abort CHs. Using a high flow rate and a non-rebreather mask you can abort CHs quickly and without side effects multiple times a day plus it is a lot cheaper than using the injections. For me, at 25lpm I can abort in about 5 minutes.

Also have a read about how we're using vitamin D - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. This is working as a great preventive for a lot of people.

Keep reading and asking questions too.

IP Logged

BSBAQE12
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Baltimore MD
Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 1:58am

Funny you mention the O2, it seems like it is hassle to get this, the reason I am unsure of. I asked my doc about this, and it seems the answer is always diverted. If not mistaken the injections can have some nasty side affects through time; I will not take Prednisone, for I actually know someone whose vision is terrible after a long-term taper, not for cluster headaches. It is bizarre, you would think any doc would want to take the safest approach, it is just oxygen. The only advantage to the injections that I have is convenience, I am seldom home, a non re breath mask and big tank would not work carrying around. As far as injections, in case anyone is wondering the Alsuma is powerful, I can be in the middle of an attack and it will abort it; however, expect nasty flushing, spasms, and other uncomfortable effects after the injection, even a burning sensation through body. As far as efficacy, it might last half a day.

Regarding vitamin D, thank you for the input, I take a liquid version (forgot to mention) but not at that IU. It seems a trip to a holistic doc would not hurt. I do notice a difference in severity, less severe attacks, when my body is in an alkaline state, the problem is ph strips are not the best method to determine this. Why I prefer a voodoo doc to order the lab work, and determine what is needed from there, I have heard when you are deficient in one vitamin or mineral you are likely to be deficient in several. The logic, according to local health food store is when the body is in acidic state you are exposed to inflammation, overload of toxins, thus problems occur: for all I know it could be a sales method to sell 21st century snake oil.
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2012 at 2:08am by BSBAQE12 »  

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 5:52am

I remember thinking similar things about oxygen, how it would be too impractical, etc.. However there is a transformation once people have tried it and realise how effective it is. Plus add in that you can use it as often as you like, the like of side effects and it being cheaper, it is a pretty good abortive.

As for being away from home a lot, there is nothing to stop you using oxygen whilst at home and injections whilst out. Carrying oxygen isn't that hard. You can keep a cylinder in your car boot or a smaller one in a backpack or one at work.

However I don't just rely on oxygen, I do have the injections for times when oxygen isn't practical, like when flying.

Doctors are amazingly resiliant to people using oxygen all over the world, other than those who keep up with the scientific literature to see how effective it has been proven to be in trials. I was told by a nurse that oxygen is a dangerous drug and that they try to wean people off it as soon as possible. She was quite surprised when I pointed out that the only people not breathing oxygen in the hospital were in the morgue. Another person in the respiratory service said that breathing at over 10lpm would make my blood boil, although he couldn't explain why that might happen, never mind that fighter pilots can breath oxygen at over 60lpm when dogfighting.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 9:56am

I mention this med, acknowledging, that you can't use it if, in fact, you turn out to have Chronic CH. But it's a remarkably effective abortive if you don't have multiple daily attacks and, as you see in the abstract, for a few people it totally stopped their Cluster attacks.

So, might ask your doc if he would consider a trial. Within 1-3 uses, you'll know whether it works for you.

I started using it when it first hit the medical literature as an trial item. My response was so positive that I was bouncing off the ceiling with joy: no side effects; total relief in 20-minutes; never a recurrence or redevelopment of an attack; and, cheap compared to the sumatriptan.
----
Headache 2001 Sep;41(8):813-6 

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.
Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. THE INITIAL OLANZAPINE DOSE WAS 5 MG, AND THE DOSE WAS INCREASED TO 10 MG IF THERE WAS NO PAIN RELIEF. THE DOSAGE WAS DECREASED TO 2.5 MG IF THE 5-MG DOSE WAS EFFECTIVE BUT CAUSED ADVERSE EFFECTS. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and TWO PATIENTS BECAME HEADACHE-FREE AFTER TAKING THE DRUG. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. IT ALLEVIATES PAIN QUICKLY AND HAS A CONSISTENT RESPONSE ACROSS MULTIPLE TREATED ATTACKS. IT APPEARS TO WORK IN BOTH EPISODIC AND CHRONIC CLUSTER HEADACHE.

PMID 11576207 PubMed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.
=====
Since this abstract was first posted Zyprexa has appeared in some lists of recommended meds for CH. [BJ]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

BSBAQE12
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Baltimore MD
Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 12:58am

Bob, it seems you may have hit the nail on the head, something left out was that I suffer from multiple attacks in a day, up to 8 on a bad day: perhaps explaining the reluctance. Mike you are correct, I remember a family member going through hell and back to get his approved it took a trip to an ER before his neuro approved a tank. As far as logic is concerned, who can explain the minds of insurance reps, believe it or not, it is cheaper for me to obtain 10 injections and 18 nasals per month than the monthly charge and fees for O2 (assuming a script was written). I am half tempted to take out my old Oxy Acetylene rig and purchase a non re-breath mask. The rig has a regulator on it, a damn good one at that, regulations required such in the HVAC Business. Any of you guys know if that oxygen is the same as the medical stuff? If so, my licenses are still active so a refill would on the O2 tank would only cost 10 dollars. I would assume it is similar, for we were always warned the stuff was pure enough that if we flushed a line in a pinch with it we would run the risk of an explosion.

IP Logged

BSBAQE12
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Baltimore MD
Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 1:20am

Actually, just answered that question, how stupid I feel: called a manager of supply house I know well, it all gets filled in same bulk, the difference is in the tank itself. Welding tanks should be free of oil and impurities due to risks of explosion, etc; however it can be difficult to judge, tanks are usually beat up in a trade off program. Think I figured out the solution, buy my own tank and just get it filled at the supply house, if I have to trade it in, I know with my nitro tanks I used to spray the tank, and write my name all over the tanks, and demanded them back, seldom had problems with that. The regulators we used are slightly different to be safe I am going to order one off Amazon once I have some extra cash. The other reason I would recommend demanding your own tank, if you could have access to this is simple: people tend to fudge the valves, ding the tanks, allow them to get rusty...nothing was worse then being on a job sight humping an 80lb tank of Nitro up a 20' latter just to get on the roof and find the valve is f#$$%

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 11:30pm

Below is a link to an article your Doctor needs to see.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

You can find similar info by google from Dr. Peter Goadsby.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!