Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Started Oxygen Therapy - Now I get more headaches (Read 1417 times)
donb29
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

MO
Started Oxygen Therapy - Now I get more headaches
Jun 21st, 2012 at 8:33am

Recently I started using oxygen and was so grateful to discover that it actually works to make the pain stop.

However, I have noticed now that I am waking up with a headache 4-5 times per night. The oxygen helps it go away but I had never had more than one or two headaches overnight before.

Anyone else experience this? It's really starting to wear me out.

Don

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Started Oxygen Therapy - Now I get more headaches
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 11:18am

Don,

An increase in the frequency of your CH is perfectly normal when first starting oxygen therapy....  Most of us experienced the same increase in the frequency of our CH after starting oxygen therapy for the first time. 

This increase in frequency usually results in an attack every two hours ± 15 minutes.  The first thing to remember is you now have a safe and inexpensive method of controlling and aborting your CH that works reliably...  and that stopping the pain as rapidly as possible was the goal...  Just remember that oxygen therapy is an abortive, and not a preventative...

We conducted an informal study of oxygen therapy at flow rates that support hyperventilation in 2007-2008.  That study indicated the increased frequency of CH peaked after three to four weeks of use then started dropping.  By the end of the second month of use, the frequency of CH attacks was usually below the starting level.

We're not sure why this happens.  One possible explanation for the increase in frequency of CH attacks is the oxygen therapy interrupts one or more of the chemical cycles associated with CH causing the CH attacks to reset more frequently.  The drop in rate of CH attacks after three to four weeks may be associated with vascular toning... 

In other words, the increased frequency of vascular constriction (the mechanical abort mechanism), resulting from frequent use of oxygen therapy actually strengthens muscles lining the arteries and capillaries... 

It's kind of like doing curls with dumb bells to strengthen and tone up the biceps.  Once the arteries and capillaries in and around the trigeminal nerve are toned up...  they become less susceptible to the vasodilation associated with the CH triggering mechanism...  and the frequency of CH attacks drops.

We also noticed an interesting phenomenon that we call a re-attack.  A re-attack is where the CH returns within 15 to 45 minutes after successfully aborting with oxygen therapy flow rates between 25 and 40 liters/minute...  (hyperventilating).

What we think is happening here is the oxygen therapy works very rapidly to stop the pain but the duration of use isn't long enough to abort the underlying triggering mechanism. When the effects of hyperoxia and respiratory alkalosis (caused by hyperventilation) dissipate and the CH triggering mechanism is still active, the CH resumes or returns.

We found that staying on oxygen for 10 to 15 minutes at a normal respiration rate after the abort reduces the incidence of re-attacks. 

Stick with the oxygen therapy...  You'll find it is the safest and least expensive method of aborting CH you have available. 

If you can get a 0-25 LPM, 0-60 LPM or a welder's O2 regulator, you'll be able to bring your abort times down to an overall average of 7 minutes...  Less if you start the oxygen at the first sign of an impending attack...

The other thing for you to try now is to see your doctor about a lab test for 25-Hydroxyvitamin D, a.k.a. 25(OH)D. 

Data we've compiled from posts here at CH.com over the last 18 months indicates most CH'ers suffer from this terribly painful disorder due to a vitamin D3 deficiency.  We've also found that treating this deficiency with the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 is proving to be an effective CH preventative.

To date, 105 out of the 140 CH'ers who reported starting this regimen experienced a significant reduction in the frequency and severity of their CH...  Most of the 105 were pain free before the end of the third week on this regimen... 

The average response time is around 10 days to two weeks although some responded in 12 to 24 hours and some took as long as a month to respond.

It appears the serum concentration of 25(OH)D, the vitamin D3 metabolite frequently used to measure vitamin D3 status and the dose of vitamin D3 are the two variables that control response times... 

The normal reference range for the 25(OH)D lab test is 30 to 100 ng/mL, (75 to 250 nmol/L).  Most CH'ers with active CH who had the lab test for 25(OH)D before or shortly after starting this regimen had their results come back less than 30 ng/mL...  Some chronic CH'ers with active CH tested as high as 55 to 61 ng/mL.

The exciting news is CH'ers who have gone pain free on this regimen and had the 25(OH)D lab test, had their results come back in a range from 60 to 110 ng/mL.

You can find the complete regimen and dosing strategy at the following link:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If you want to see what other CH'ers are saying about their experience with this regimen, see the following link:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Start at the most recent post above then work your way back in time...

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2012 at 2:47pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

donb29
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

MO
Re: Started Oxygen Therapy - Now I get more headaches
Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 12:54pm

Thanks a lot Batch, that makes me feel better knowing that others have experienced this as well.

I'll certainly keep with the O2 therapy as I was so grateful to find that it worked and I'll check in to the D3.

Don

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!