Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My failsafes - failed (Read 2344 times)
Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

x0|New York|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
My failsafes - failed
Jun 20th, 2012 at 8:02am

I'm pretty sure I've gone chronic from episodic, which is not great in and of itself, I've had about 2 years with no non-medicated freedom from CH.  Whenever I taper off this or that - it's back.  that being said - I was on Verapamil 480mg  and was totally under control for > 1 year.  But for some reason the CH is back now, and Prednisone 60mg -down by 10mg every 3 days for a taper to get some relief, which ALWAYS worked, is not working.
Has anyone else experienced their regimen suddenly just stop working?  No other major life changes.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: My failsafes - failed
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 8:26am

J Headache Pain. 2005 Feb;6(1):3-9. Epub 2005 Jan 25.

Chronic cluster headache: a review.

Favier I, Haan J, Ferrari MD.

Department of Neurology, K5-Q Leiden University Medical Centre, 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands.

Cluster headache (CH) is a rare but severe headache disorder characterised by repeated unilateral head pain attacks accompanied by ipsilateral autonomic features. In episodic CH, there are periods of headache attacks with pain-free intervals of weeks, months or years in between. A minority of patients have the chronic form, without pain-free intervals between the headache attacks. Chronic CH can occur as primary or secondary chronic CH; the rarest form is episodic CH arising from chronic CH. In this article, we give a review of the chronic forms of CH and focus on demographics, clinical manifestations, social habits, predictive factors, head injury, genetics, neuroimaging and therapy. IT IS REMARKABLE THAT LITTLE IS KNOWN ABOUT RISK FACTORS THAT MAKE CH CHRONIC.

Publication Types:
Review

PMID: 16362185 [PubMed] 
=====================
Assume you are working with a good doc....

Changes in effectiveness/dosing of meds is a common experience here with no understanding about why.

Talk to the doc about doing another Pred cycle but with a higher starting dose; ditto for increasing Verap dose.

IF it appears to be chronic, then explore shifting to Lithium.

Bottom line: such changes require some educated guessing and changes in the treatment plan but, unfortunately, no single treatment program works for all.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

IndianaJohn
CH.com Hall of Famer

Into the jaws of the Beast

Decatur,Indiana,USA
Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:59am

Yes, it happened to me last year.  I was episodic in the past , but I was stuck in a cycle from November 2010 through January 2012.  Nothing was working for me.  Even Imitrex wasn't doing as well as it should have.  So I got some O2 (which worked for me for the first time, I had used too little flow rate in the past), and the I went off of ALL my meds for two weeks.  I started Batch's D3 regimen.  After the two weeks ended I restarted my meds which finally worked.  After a couple of weeks I was able to break the cycle.  I too, thought I was going chronic.

Going off of the meds for two weeks was complete hell.  The only saving grace was the O2.  But I firmly believe that getting off of the meds kind of "reset" the medications effectiveness.

After the two weeks and restarting the meds, they seemed to regain their effectiveness.

I have been PF since mid January, back to being episodic. 

So if you can manage it, I would recommend getting off of your meds for a short time.  Just get prepared first.  Get O2 and start the D3 regimen and get whatever OTC/home remedies you can find to deal with the HA's.

Best of Luck

John

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 10:25am

Thanks! I haven't read (or I don't remember) reading about D3. I'm going to read up on it now.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 6:19pm

It works quite well...  Better than 75% effective in preventing CH...  and it's healthy for you too.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 7:44pm

Quote:
Whenever I taper off this or that - it's back.  that being said - I was on Verapamil 480mg  and was totally under control for > 1 year.  But for some reason the CH is back now...

A question that occurs is whether you maintained taking the 480mg of verapamil during a period when you were out of cycle, when you said it was "totally under control for > 1 year" and then tapered off, "I was on Verapamil 480", when you again went into cycle.

Restarting verapamil again may take a time to build up in your system and might require gradually getting to a higher dose than the 480mg, say 640mg, to catch a runaway cycle before it can be controlled.  Afterwards, testing whether a reduction to 480mg will maintain this cycle for you again might be attempted.

Along with the prednisone, restarting the verap with gradual increases to 640mg may be an idea, check with your doc, but having oxygen, an essential abortive, during this time can be essential.  You don't mention having any abortive to use in your post.  Any preventive regimen should be accompanied by an effective abortive to handle fluctuations of a cycle until adjustments can be made, and attempting to get on top of a cycle that is having free rein with you while restarting a preventive regimen including verapamil can be a difficult time, abortive use should be mighty handy, as Indiana John mentiions.

This is just one possibility.
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2012 at 7:46pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 6:49am

Hey Smiley -- good question.  i was on verapamil for longer than year, and stayed on it, with virtually no hits.  After about a year (a year ago) I tapered off, and started getting hits again-- so went back up, to 480, and have been doing that for a year with virtually no hits -- until lately. . trying D3, Omega & Mg regimen today.

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #7 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 8:29am

I would echo what the others are saying. Read up on O2, D3, and Lithium if you think you are going chronic. I would also recommend perhaps making some dosage adjustments to your present meds and see if that doesn't produce some positive effects.

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #8 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 4:36pm

All meds that I have been on verapamil, lithium, oxygen, etc. have all stopped working after a sucessfull run.  Frustrating.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #9 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 9:16am

Be sure to talk to your doc before increasing Verapamil. As with many meds, it can be very dangerous.

Good Luck !

I4B

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!