Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sleep aids (Read 2317 times)
johnnysrock
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Santa Rosa CA
sleep aids
Jun 17th, 2012 at 1:58pm

Has anyone had any success with sleep aids? Do sleepaids add to secondary headaches like pain medication?  My husband needs some rest we think he may be nearing the end of this episode, but of course the anxiety of the next visit by the beast is causing him to not sleep. The last few nights he has only been experiencing shadow headaches.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: sleep aids
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 2:07pm

Melatonin. Many here use it.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 4:17pm

Melatonin BUT, from an English study, in a dose of
1/2-3/4mg. Higher and lower doses, for sleep, didn't work as well.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 6:38pm

And those low dosages mentioned by Bob don't seem to do diddly squat for a clusterhead in the midst of a cycle.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 8:57am

I rarely get real insomnia, but when I do, one 3 mg melatonin will hardly do anything to get me to sleep and more than one seems to trigger my clusters.  Occasionally I will take 15 mg of Temazapam and it works well without triggering my clusters.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 9:30am

Trying to sleep when there is physical pain and/or anxiety operating will require a more potent med than melatonin. Even with Rx meds, the results are often mixed.

The dose I mentioned assumes a "normal" insomnia, i.e., not complicated by anger, etc.

If your husband is willing to get into a self-training program, working  to get his anxiety under control, has broad based benefits for the whole Cluster experience as well as for any of life's normal stresssors.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Clusterfeck
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Kansas City
Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 2:14pm

I take amitriptyline, 200-300 mg, every night.  I have seen a great deal of bad publicity on a few CH sites, so I didn't think I would ever bring it up.  I have been taking it ever since my first diagnosis of TMJ.  At the time the Dr. thought the TMJ was from grinding my teeth.  I have suffered with CH for 27 years, and the ONLY times I have had middle of the night hits have been when I did not take my amitriptyline.  I think I take such a high dose (and I am a small female), that I sleep through them.  I know. Doesn't sound right.  That's why I never wanted to bring it up.  I wish someone else would try it so I can give myself some credibility!

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 5:55pm

Clusterfeck, I've actually had a similar experience to yours.  I was recently prescribed nortriptyline, which is a cousin to amitriptyline.  While I found that it did nothing to stop the nighttime hits, it definitely makes me drowsy and helps with sleep.  Certainly it works better for me than melatonin.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 3:03am

I use 5mg of Triazolam and it usually works well.

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #9 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 9:10am

Tips for insomniacs--cool your head to fall asleep

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Reply #10 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 10:29pm

I have never found one thing that works. It has always taken a mixture of stuff... at very high doses, and at the risk of giving potentially fatal advise, I will leave it at that. After 37 years of experimenting, I have tried most everything in numerous combinations, and still don't have a solid answer for sleep.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #11 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 10:56pm

Addendum: I usually take 25mg of benadryl along with the melatonin.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!