Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Has anyone done BOTOX injections for CH prevention (Read 711 times)
Kevin-58
CH.com Newbie

God Be with us

Middle Georgia
Has anyone done BOTOX injections for CH prevention
Jun 16th, 2012 at 9:58am

I was picking up my MAXALT and SUMATRIPTAN yesterday and started talking to one of the pharmacists that is familiar with my history of CHs. She told me to look into BOTOX injections for preventative therapy.  I've been searching this morning but have only find articles concerning migraines. Have you heard of this treatment for Clusters? Has anyone tried it?    Thank you all for the wealth of information that is shared on this site.
My thoughts and prayers are with each and everyone one of you.
Kevin

kt.coleman  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Has anyone done BOTOX injections for CH prevention
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 10:04am

A recent post from Bob, our resident research guru:

Handb Clin Neurol. 2010;97:217-32.
Botulinum neurotoxin in the treatment of headache disorders.
Mauskop A.
Abstract
Botulinum neurotoxin (BoNT) has been in clinical use for the treatment of headaches for over 15 years. Recent double-blind placebo-controlled trials have confirmed the efficacy of BoNT type A (onabtoulinumtoxinA, Botox) in the treatment of chronic migraine.

THE EFFICACY OF BONT IN THE TREATMENT OF EPISODIC MIGRAINE HEADACHES, CLUSTER HEADACHES, AND CHRONIC TENSION-TYPE HEADACHE (TTH) HAS NOT BEEN EXAMINED IN LARGE CONTROLLED TRIALS.

Presumed mechanisms of action of BoNT in headache disorders are the reduction of afferent input induced by muscle relaxation and inhibition of the release of neurotransmitters, such as glutamate and calcitonin gene-related peptide, from peripheral sensory nerve terminals. Over 20 years of extensive clinical experience has established a remarkable safety for BoNT, particularly type A and specifically Botox or onabotulinumtoxinA, which has been used much longer and more widely than any other form or serotype of BoNT. Because BoNT is a biological product, the safety and efficacy of one BoNT formulation cannot be extrapolated to a different one, even of the same serotype.

Copyright © 2011 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

PMID:20816423[PubMed

And a paper Batch posted on the same topic:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Hope this helps, been a mixed bag on people who tried it. Worked wondres for some, worthless for others. Ahhh.. the nature of CH! Grin

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!